WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend loaned me a couple of old watches she had lying around to see what I could discover. This one is interesting; its a old wristwatch, about 29mm across the dial. The backplate and dial are marked "E. H. Newman & Sons, Brantford, Ont", which I told her meant it was probably a jobber watch sourced from a Swiss company. (I guessed swiss becuase of the plate layout).

Once I got it home and took the dial off, I found that it was stamped "Wittenaur Longines". Now I'm curious; is the serial number just a "normal" Longines serial? If so, that makes this circa 1913/14. I couldn't find anyting in Ranftt's archive that had a similar keyless works though (and my Bestfitt is still in the mail :-()

I'm also curious as to the meaning of all the neat little markings on the inside outer case...anyone know of a good reference site?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I'm reading this right, its a 9 carat gold case, imported into Glasgow, made by (I'm guessing here) Mappin and Webb in some year denoted by a lowercase p in a square box (which I can't find a suitable match for).

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The M&W Sheffield mark is close, except that mine is just in a box, not a shield. The inside case back has a cleaner mark; the '&' is done almost as a subscript in the box.

The typeface of the "p" matches the london 1910 mark (which would be consistant with the 1913 movement), but again, the box shape is wrong.

Between the two, I'm wondering if they were just making their lives simpler by using straight boxes because of the size of the case? 12''' is pretty small.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Movement diameter and setting works shapes match a Longines 13.81 on page 145 of Bestfit

·
Registered
771 Posts
Which was originally a pocket watch movement IIRC and rather bigger. The Longines Wittnauer signing suggests that this is a watch originally exported to America, as a movement but put in an English case, so a marriage (Rather than a frankenwatch IMHO). Either way, a fine thing that deserves a clean and service. It will almost certainly keep good time.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't consider a casing choice to be even a marriage; that's how many pocket watches were sold. My guestimate of the age of the case matches that of the movement constructions, so since the movement itself was clearly a custom-order, I'm guessing it was meant to be a wristwatch from the get-go.

The movement's been pretty badly gouged in a few places (someone used a screwdriver that was way too big to loosen the stem screw, and tore up both the screw and the surrounding plate :-|), but it should clean up nicely. It works and keeps time already.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not a caliber 13.81

Paulson's "Master Key" --an excellent reference which pictures movements from the bridge side, shows the 13.81 as having a barrel and crown-wheel bridge with a cut-out making the barrel visible, and 2 additional bridges: 1 long one for the train and a shorter one for the escape wheel. The bridge designs more closely resemble a caliber 13.31, but again, it's not an exact match, as the setting parts are different.
If you're lucky, the caliber number is stamped near the balance or between bridges but I've seen some early Longines movements without any caliber number at all.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Unfortunately, it's not a caliber 13.81

Bingo! There's a (very) faint stamp on plate beside the balance wheel (only visible once the movement is decased) that I think says 13.33.

Does that mean this is a 13''' watch?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts

Glad you looked and glad it was there. As I said, I've seen some without a caliber stamp.
Yes, the 13.33 means that it is a 13 lignes movement , Longines caliber 13.33

Marrick, I like your early silver Longines. Such an unusual shape and it looks like it's a good size.
What are the width and length of the watch w/o the lugs? My guess is 33mm wide x 40 mm corner to corner.
I got a chuckle at how F.R. Price engraved his info not only into the case, but on the movement as well.
He must have treasured the watch!

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

Marrick, I like your early silver Longines. Such an unusual shape and it looks like it's a good size.
What are the width and length of the watch w/o the lugs? My guess is 33mm wide x 40 mm corner to corner.
I got a chuckle at how F.R. Price engraved his info not only into the case, but on the movement as well.
He must have treasured the watch!
Thank you. Not quite as big as that:-d. Its 31mm across (not including crown) and 36mm top to bottom at the corners (not includng the wire lugs).

Runs well and keeps time.

Anyway, AbslomRob, I think you can safely tell your friend he has a pretty fine and interesting timepiece there. b-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts