WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would put a few quick pics up, let anyone interested know my thoughts on this new diver.

I had been eagerly waiting for this watch, upon hearing of it last year. But for some reason, people seemed to be selling them off shortly after they showed up. That made me a bit suspicious, so I hesitated, didn't want to plunk down a wad of cash for something I would be disappointed in. I can happily report, I am quite pleased with the new addition.

Packaging was impressive, a large box with book about some of the reissue pieces Longines is putting out. Didn't take any pics, who cares about the box, right?

In a nutshell, specs are 42mm, 300m water resistance, sapphire crystal and two screw down crowns, one for winding and the other for internal bezel operation.

Some don't like the dial. I, however, find it perfect. I like the longer hash marks, the hand style and the luminous bits. Sure, there is a relative paucity of lume, and the seconds hand has none at all. But it is enough in my book and I even like the different little "perpendicular" marks inside 12,3,6 and 9. I also like the color variation on the dial; the non-luminous parts are an off-white, look vintage almost.

The caseback is even cool, a neat little diver about to spear something!

Tang buckle with hatched markings that match those on the crowns:

This is not a monster watch. It has an elegance to it that is, in my opinion, appropriate for a watch that is designed as a tribute to the original compressor diver from the 60s. It would fit the bill if you wear it with a suit to the office, or with jeans to the barbecue.

Not really sure how well the fabric strap will hold up over time, but it is comfortable, as is the watch generally. No sharp digging edges or rough spots.

Who knows how well this watch will sell. Full retail is $1900 and they seem to be in relatively short supply. I can tell you that after wearing this one for a couple of days, the fit and finish, quality are great. It is Longines, a brand not many associate with divers. Would I pay full price for it, buy it new? Perhaps not, but then the only new piece I have ever paid full price for is my Rolex...

In short, I really like this one. In fact, I think it is my new favorite, likely to be a true daily wearer for me.

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
beautiful watch. its got that dress meets diver look to it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
very nice watch....
especially liked the dial

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I love it. This one, along with the Breitling SOH and that IWC Aquatimer re-issue are really hitting the mark with 60s retro diver cachet. This one, with the pre-wabi'd dial marker color, fonts and case back logo...

I'd love to see it on a tropic strap or NATO.

Congrats. How about some wrist (or full arm) shots while you're at it?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love it. This one, along with the Breitling SOH and that IWC Aquatimer re-issue are really hitting the mark with 60s retro diver cachet. This one, with the pre-wabi'd dial marker color, fonts and case back logo...

I'd love to see it on a tropic strap or NATO.

Congrats. How about some wrist (or full arm) shots while you're at it?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for reference, here is a vintage one, I have to give credit for these photos to a seller on the military watch forum, Darren. You can see how faithful the reissue is:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Great write-up, Chris.
Makes me salivate while waiting for mine to arrive.
Thank you very much.

Steve

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Thanks for the arm shot. The black internal bezel makes the diameter seem bigger than it is. Perfect size. And looking at the vintage photo, I'd say this is a very faithful re-issue!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great write-up, Chris.
Makes me salivate while waiting for mine to arrive.
Thank you very much.

Steve
Steve, you are gonna love it. I hope you will post some pics and your impressions when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the arm shot. The black internal bezel makes the diameter seem bigger than it is. Perfect size. And looking at the vintage photo, I'd say this is a very faithful re-issue!

I agree, perfect size. With internal bezels, it can be hit or miss how they look. Some look way too big, others too small...

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
WHOA...that is sharp! I'm liking everything about it, especially the case-back. I like how they replicated the Super-Compressor crowns too.|>|>

How about you try it on a Squinky reissue Tropic strap? I have a set, and the quality and detail is superb. IMHO, it then would be perfect.:-!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WHOA...that is sharp! I'm liking everything about it, especially the case-back. I like how they replicated the Super-Compressor crowns too.|>|>

How about you try it on a Squinky reissue Tropic strap? I have a set, and the quality and detail is superb. IMHO, it then would be perfect.:-!
I think that is a great idea. It will add to the overall vintage look.:-!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Fantastic watch! Great review Chris.
It 's one of the few entries that I really want to buy it (used off course ;-)). It 's maybe the vintage look, the nice caseback, or the double crowns.

Regards
Dimitris

·
Registered
3,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fantastic watch! Great review Chris.
It 's one of the few entries that I really want to buy it (used off course ;-)). It 's maybe the vintage look, the nice caseback, or the double crowns.

Regards
Dimitris

Thanks, Dimitris!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice one Chris. I'm all over this case back design, super cool! :p
I agree, hard to believe they had this great detailed design on the original case!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts