WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a new watch. When I saw the Longines Master Retrograde, I thought the search is over. It's beautiful!! I decided to see what else was out there, just to be sure. The ML Classic Moon watch grabbed my attention. I am torn and don't know which way to go and buying both is not an option. I love the retrograde as well as the moon phase complications. If one of them had both that would be ideal. How do they compare in terms of quality, reliability and brand recognition? Any and all suggestions, recommendations and comments are welcome. If there are any ML or Longines owners out there then please comment.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
i like both brands. i think they are very similar. between these two i choose the ML hands down. very, very classy looking.

I am looking for a new watch. When I saw the Longines Master Retrograde, I thought the search is over. It's beautiful!! I decided to see what else was out there, just to be sure. The ML Classic Moon watch grabbed my attention. I am torn and don't know which way to go and buying both is not an option. I love the retrograde as well as the moon phase complications. If one of them had both that would be ideal. How do they compare in terms of quality, reliability and brand recognition? Any and all suggestions, recommendations and comments are welcome. If there are any ML or Longines owners out there then please comment.

Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two great brands and two lovely watches. The Maurice Lacroix gets my pick, plus from a build/quality standpoint the ML is head and shoulders above Longines.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Two great brands and two lovely watches. The Maurice Lacroix gets my pick, plus from a build/quality standpoint the ML is head and shoulders above Longines.
I like the way the Maurice Lacroix looks as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback and please keep it coming. I am surprised how one sided the response is. Has Longines fallen so much?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Maurice Lacroix for sure. Longines went down these years
I don't think they've gone down at all in recent memory, in fact I would guess they’ve gone up. There are lots of Longines models I like quite a lot, I just prefer the cleaner dial of the ML better in this case.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Longines has not gone down. i just had my hands on some ML and Longines in Curacao at an AD. the Longines seemed nicer IMO. however, i like this particular ML better.

i would say they are equal. Longines is on the up and up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just clarifying my original post. The Longines current line up is excellent, just look at any of their Master or Heritage series watches, very very nice quality. ML is a very underrated brand, their masterpiece line is just that, a masterpiece. Their attention too detail on their cases and movements ( both ETA and their own in house manufacture) is second too none. My only gripe is a.) their lack of USA service centers and b.) their inflated MSRP's. But they are a quality watch and again, are a much better quality than the Longines. My pick is the ML.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I'll take that ML any day. An AD very close to where I work has one in the display window. Its stunning! :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ill buck the trend on this one. I much prefer the Longines. Its the same model I originally wanted but alas my budget fell short and I went with a master collection chrono. I have always had an eye for ML and visit an AD in alaska when there just to see them but prefer many of their other models - the decentrique being one of them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One person for the longines. I still can't believe how one sided this poll is. I guess the people have spoken. I've tried on the Longines and it's nice. I need to find an AD for ML, so I can try on the competition. Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
another one for longines. afaik the quadruple retrograde was made by swatch only for this watch :-!

not too crazy about ML.. seen too many of them (including that moon phase one) on discount and overstock websites.

·
Banned
388 Posts
+1. While I love ML for these two I'd go with the Longines. If you can swing it look into the Calendrier Retrograde, Double Retrograde, or the Lune Retrograde. I'd die for the Double Retrograde (old stock, not the new in house movt). If I only wore dress watches and had $8k lying round the house..............

I agree with the assessment Longines has gone down a spell but ML has shot up since they are building their own movt. If they would only build vezel watches in their masterpiece line. They have some great midrange pieces but they are on the dressy side for my taste. If you like the dressy look (judging by your selection you do), ML makes pieces comparable to watches many times more expensive.

+ They make 99% of their Masterpieces in house. There are a couple parts they source out for but the case is made in house. A young brand, 20 years young, with history going back farther. Give their Masterpiece line a good look see. You will not be dissappointed. Plus you will never find another wearing a ML. In the past 5 years through all my travels I have yet to see another ML on a wrist besides mine. I can't speak highly enough of the brand.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Longines all the way for me, the ML looks cheap to me in comparison.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts