WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,
I wonder if you guys can help me make up my mind on this 2 watches or even better give me an idea of other option, since iam not getting itay noy i was in the retail and i found these 2 watch that really catch my eyes.
Longines saint imier 27644730 or
longines-saint-imier-white-dial-mult-function-mens-watch-l27644730-8.jpg
Dreyfuss & co DGS0074/06
main.png
I been walking all day and looking for watching since i am on holiday and i would love to get one cause i can get a tax refund which will be a little bit more cheaper, my price range would be SGD4000 - SGD 5000.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For me, & I may be biased on this, but it's the Longines hands down, no doubt about it....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quite apart from the fact that this Dreyfus is hideous……I remember doing some quick research on them some years ago and found that they might be using pretty standard Chinese movements, tarted up in a fancy watch case…but I could be wrong. Besides, Longines have a great pedigree and that example is a wonderfully balanced watch.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I don't know Ernest...My first question is, why did they put his name on the watch?
He's not famous or anything....Why would you want his name on your watch?
Longines, yes...That is a famous watch maker and a quality watch.
Not Ernest Dreyfuss!....It's not handmade either.

Reactions: Hammondo

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Dreyfuss is owned by Rotary - they use both Chinese and ETA movements. The "Swiss Made" on the dial would indicate that this one uses a Swiss movement.

But why would you want to bother with all that when you could just buy the Longines?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a variation of the Longines, a black dial Master Collection Retrograde Moon Phases. I heartily recommend it. It ain't cheap, but there is a lot of value to it when you look at what you're getting: an eta movement that is exclusive to Longines, four retrograde sub-dials, moon phase, GMT sub-dial. There is a lot going on inside the case. Great, great watch.

-hayday

Longines Master.JPG Longines Master2.JPG

·
Registered
98 Posts
Longines or if you don't like that enough, keep on looking...... Dreysfuss as a brand isn't a patch on Longines.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
While I do not care for the busy look of either dial, I'd have to say I'd still go for the Longines by a landslide. While it's busy, at least you are getting a well made watch by a respected maker and some nifty complications for the money...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a variation of the Longines, a black dial Master Collection Retrograde Moon Phases. I heartily recommend it. It ain't cheap, but there is a lot of value to it when you look at what you're getting: an eta movement that is exclusive to Longines, four retrograde sub-dials, moon phase, GMT sub-dial. There is a lot going on inside the case. Great, great watch.

-hayday

View attachment 1486521 View attachment 1486522
thank for your information, i just think that d&c semi skeleton look pretty nice, anyway do you mind to tell me how much did you get yours? so i can do a price comparison?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Out of those two, I would go for Longines. Longines and Rotary (Dreyfuss & Co.) are two of my favourite brands, but I'm not too sure I like the half skeletonized look of that Dreyfuss.

·
Premium Member
36,401 Posts
While I do not care for the busy look of either dial, I'd have to say I'd still go for the Longines by a landslide. While it's busy, at least you are getting a well made watch by a respected maker and some nifty complications for the money...
Totally agree.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
How is this even a fair a fight?
Longines or a Chinese owned brand trying to con consumers into thinking it's Made in Switzerland and.. HAND MADE?!?!

·
Premium Member
71,508 Posts
The Longines is a bit busy for my liking so have a look into the Master range. Even with it's busy dial I'd rather have the Longines to the Dreyfuss any day of the week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How is this even a fair a fight?
Longines or a Chinese owned brand trying to con consumers into thinking it's Made in Switzerland and.. HAND MADE?!?!
Actually Dreyfuss & Co are a legitimate family owned watch maker. They are UK-based now, being headquarted in London, and the chairman is Robert Dreyfuss, a direct descendent of Moise Dreyfuss who started the company in Switzerland in 1895. They have the same parent company as Rotary but are essentially the "higher-end" brand in the family. I believe all of the Dreyfuss & Co watches are either swiss quartz or automatic movements (ETAs if I recall correctly).

The Rotary brand does concerntrate more on the lower end stuff though with cheap Chinese autos and quartz movements mainly used. I do agree their marketing can be a little on the thinner edge of the truth though!

edit: Just to clarify though, from the watches listed, I would probably go with the Longines, but have seen nicer ones (the Master collection hayday posted for example).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
check your inbox

-hayday

thank for your information, i just think that d&c semi skeleton look pretty nice, anyway do you mind to tell me how much did you get yours? so i can do a price comparison?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts