WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Thank God it's a good size too at 41mm. Longines is bringing good stuff out.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank God it's a good size too at 41mm. Longines is bringing good stuff out.
Mine was a joke, as they are obsessed by putting date windows in watches from the 30s...the rest of the execution looks spotless (perhaps the ages radium might have been more less glossy like in the old Spirit or in the Istituto Idrografico Marina Militare)..here there's another still with a pair of MkVIII googles:

the-longines-avigation-watch-type-a-7-1935.jpg

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Oh my that date window completely ruins an otherwise excellent re-issue. I wonder if we can get one of the sponsors to convince Longines to make a non-date version. I would pick that watch up in a heartbeat without the date!

Longines REALLY need to stop putting date windows in their heritage line

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it's meant to look like and old watch, why doesn't it look like the old watch did when new?

Why "age" a new release, surely that watch did not have (have pardon my French) poop colored lume when new.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow, date window is polarizing.
I kinda like the watch. Yes it looks better without the date window but I don't mind it. I love that 30's art-deco style.

·
Registered
298 Posts
With the new Avigation...tell the difference:

View attachment 9779698

Still, date window or not, it's a beautiful piece.
One is a picture the other an actual watch.
If that isn't enough.

Two different times?
Without or with strap?
Radium lum vs titanium or luminova?

Is there a prize?
Oh and the date. Doesn't bother me to much. Easier to id an vintage. Otherwise nice...

Cheers
Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Faux patina lume is generally irritating - here it looks good.
Funk angles always look bad - but here I like it
Odd crown placement never a good idea, but it works with the dial rotation here.

But that date window - uhg!. Maybe they could have place it elswhere and left off the outline so it wouldn't have been so obvious.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hahahaa, they can't resist the temptation to put a date window in any of these watches!

Can someone explain how the angle of the watch face is supposed to be more useful than it would be in a 'standard' orientation? Is it supposed to make the crown easier to adjust while the watch is being worn? I can't figure out the practical benefit otherwise. It's certainly not easier (IMO) to read.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Can someone explain how the angle of the watch face is supposed to be more useful than it would be in a 'standard' orientation? Is it supposed to make the crown easier to adjust while the watch is being worn? I can't figure out the practical benefit otherwise. It's certainly not easier (IMO) to read.
I think the original watch was military issued (for pilots???) and it was worn on the back side of the wrist over the flight suit. To check the time, simply turn the wrist over and dial is in the correct orientation for easy time reading.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Yes, with your hand on the controls, wheel, tiller, etc... the watch is in the proper orientation. Unless, of course, you're like me... and wear your watch on your right wrist as opposed to your left!

Reactions: laza80

·
Registered
599 Posts
If it's meant to look like and old watch, why doesn't it look like the old watch did when new?

Why "age" a new release, surely that watch did not have (have pardon my French) poop colored lume when new.
Oh on the contrary... poop colour was very fashionable at that time.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Like the date window! I'm forever looking at my watch for the date and I get caught out when I wear one without the date... always when your signing something for someone who is not a WIS and doesn't understand why you don't have a date window on your watch!

I don't like the "poop" lume, would prefer a more original green colour

1 - 20 of 28 Posts