WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About twelve months since I purchased a blue dial, 43mm VHP. I love the watch and it is my daily wear, 24/7. So far it has:
1. Been swimming (sea and pool - including jumping and diving in)
2. Snorkelling
3. Sailing
4. Bathed, showered
5. Car washed
6. Been dropped over a meter on to a solid tiled floor
7. Suffered numerous knocks, bangs and gouges

Apart from a few marks on the case and bezel, the watch has suffered no ill effects.

I set the time to The Time Is when I purchased it and have not reset it since (daylight saving and time zones have been set but that only moves the hour hand and doesn't affect the minutes and seconds)

I checked it today and The Time Is has lost 2 seconds! Though thinking about it my VHP may have gained two seconds. Either way it's pretty damn good, and remarkable given the abuse the watch has had.

Next update in May 2020.

Attachments

·
Registered
Omega Seamaster Professional 300M
1,156 Posts
Thank you very much for the update, great to hear the VHP is keeping time within advertised specs. With only 50M water resistance though how did it survive swimming and snorkelling? I've always translated 50M = can be immersed, but don't swim with it, in my head.

·
Registered
790 Posts
5 bar ~= 50M static water pressure != swimming in 50M water.
Not really. When swimming the water pressure is not static. 50m WR is good enough for regular swimming, but not much else. Recreational scuba divers go only to about 50 m depths and dive watches are at least 200m WR.

(nit picking: M means million, m means meter)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
In the late 1980’s I had a couple of Longines VHP’s. The titanium one I regularly scuba dived and swam in. This was before I became a WIS and thought that 50m was easily enough because sports divers don’t go much deeper than 30m.

The only problem was that eventually the seawater ended up making some of the gold plating on the bracelet peel off. So Longines replaced the bracelet. I still have the watch.

Nowadays I don’t own a modern Longines which is a bit of a shame. I have one of the special HAQ GS 9F’s (as well as 9 other GS) and many Seiko’s etc. I’m no longer hung up on accuracy although I love the Spring Drive movements.

I will have to see if there is a Longines I like as I do respect the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the update, great to hear the VHP is keeping time within advertised specs. With only 50M water resistance though how did it survive swimming and snorkelling? I've always translated 50M = can be immersed, but don't swim with it, in my head.
I've had no issues whatsoever - no fogging etc. However, according to the Longines website it can be worn for swimming and snorkelling (I checked that before I purchased as didn't want a watch I couldn't swim in)

I suspect that 50m is good enough for anyone as any diver will probably use a dive computer or a proven diving watch.

Interestingly I believe that the manufacturer's credentials is more important than what it says re WR on the dial as anyone can put 200m on the dial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice to see this post, I got one for 24/7 duties and would like to get the Two Seconds.

On the WR issue, I would of preferred to see 100 or more but if someone doesn't go past 50m then its always going to be subjective.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Not really. When swimming the water pressure is not static. 50m WR is good enough for regular swimming, but not much else. Recreational scuba divers go only to about 50 m depths and dive watches are at least 200m WR.

(nit picking: M means million, m means meter)
"!=" means "not equal to"

I think the current production VHP is fabulous all the same. Glad to hear the accuracy report result.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Does the 43mm measurement include the crown?

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Reactions: farmerboy

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thank you for confirming this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
About twelve months since I purchased a blue dial, 43mm VHP. I love the watch and it is my daily wear, 24/7. So far it has:
1. Been swimming (sea and pool - including jumping and diving in)
2. Snorkelling
3. Sailing
4. Bathed, showered
5. Car washed
6. Been dropped over a meter on to a solid tiled floor
7. Suffered numerous knocks, bangs and gouges

Apart from a few marks on the case and bezel, the watch has suffered no ill effects.

I set the time to The Time Is when I purchased it and have not reset it since (daylight saving and time zones have been set but that only moves the hour hand and doesn't affect the minutes and seconds)

I checked it today and The Time Is has lost 2 seconds! Though thinking about it my VHP may have gained two seconds. Either way it's pretty damn good, and remarkable given the abuse the watch has had.

Next update in May 2020.
Any update for this year?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts