WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1109 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Doubt I'll get one since I tend to prefer wearing my Grand Seikos over the Certina chrono, but looks like a great addition to the line. Longines has a wider distribution than Certina, so this should be easier to find in the US. Not sure why the WR is only 50 meters and then featured so prominently on the dial. Glad they added a perpetual calendar.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Probably too big for me at 41.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect, tho, is they're asserting 5 SPY. And a wholly new movement series? Checking on ETA's site, I don't see the movement in their Overview. Wonder how long the enhanced battery life will be.

I think these are gonna be up there, tho. Maybe not GS price point, but I suspect they'll be in that ballpark.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very interested in the 3-handers, depending on price, of course. And the big one: do they have IAHH? Good to see PerpCal, at last.
Nothing about the two movements on the ETA site; hardly surprising as they're Longines-specific.
IAHH is there: https://www.longines.com/novelties/conquest-vhp

The only watch news that could excite me more would be one of a new Oysterquartz. Finally, a new masterpiece by Longines. The lume looks green, so maybe this one will have real lume. Unfortunately, no human size (36-37mm)...

Here some info on prices and wristshot, showing that the watch is too big : http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...gines-conquest-v-h-p-a-new-quartz-revolution/

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
That's unexpected ! Too bad the price is probably going to be "silly" and like the recent ETA HAQs they're unlikely to be user adjustable...

I wonder why they mention a 400Hz motor, could that mean a sweeping second ?

Also that looks like the first PC HAQ Chronograph ?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Interesting movement, but why make such a big sporty watch with only 5 atm WR? I'll sit out this round, especially given the impending 100th anniversary of Citizen in 2018 and the Seiko Astron's 50th one in 2019. Maybe they'll issue more models with better WR and slimmer design in the upcoming years.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I informed my AD about these watches. He will get back to me when he has prices and release dates.
I wonder if a three handed person can adjust the new movements?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Longines must have been very happy with its previous VHP model to re-use it now.

The hands correction was a problem that needed to be solved. There were a few seconds here and there that were unexplained.

The calibration will be spot on this time?

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Ah, excellent. That page has more info.

I note the movement is on the tall side, a bit, and an uncommon size. Or at least, not a size I remember seeing. 12 1/2''', or if you prefer, 28.2 mm. For the 3 hander. Makes me think we may not see a slim, svelte 38 or 39 mm dress watch using this, which is disappointing. Chrono's basically 30mm, but one needs the size for the subdials. But perhaps this is a forerunner, and the movement line will be expanded, and *possibly* find its way into some Rado models. Rado doesn't, that I can recall, have the HA pedigree, but do have a reasonable track record with quartz. I'd NOT expect these movements to show up inside Tissot or Certina; seems like they can have a nice functionally-based tier structure, with 'basic HAQ' and 'enhanced HAQ'. But one of these movements in a Rado ceramic piece might represent a high-end, high-accuracy model. Ah...found the article finally:

Introducing the Rado True Thinline Colours, an Ultra-Thin Ceramic Watch with a Ceramic Bracelet | Watches By SJX

These are listed at 2000 swiss francs with what's described as a basic ETA quartz movement, so one has to suspect that a combination of this case style and the new movement would be pushing $3000.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I could well be tempted by a three-hander. Shame they couldn't get 200m of water resistance out of it, though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Longlines VHP 2017 Collection

A Hydro-version would be nice...

Price-wise, wouldn't the logical thing be somwhere between regular quartz and auto Conquests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe there will be a resurgence in Swiss HAQ afterall? I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised. It looks to be drive-by-wire, which is awesome - hoping that means IAHH too. Very nice!

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
A Hydro-version would be nice...

Price-wise, wouldn't the logical thing be somwhere between regular quartz and auto Conquests?
The watchtime article posted on page 1 says $1k for the 3 hander, $2k for the chrono. Somewhat less than I expected.

Maybe there will be a resurgence in Swiss HAQ afterall? I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised. It looks to be drive-by-wire, which is awesome - hoping that means IAHH too. Very nice!
We can hope, but a) how willing is Swatch to sell HAQs to others...but I'm thinking that this movement *could* mean they'll sell the older ones, because this movement has notable, promotable advantages, b) at what kinda price, and c) how many companies want to add HAQ?

Oh...but of course on another track...

d) will this encourage Ronda to shoot for an HAQ? and e) will this encourage Citizen and Seiko to continue moving forward...or will they simply see this as ETA moving to catch up.

And that is all the microphones that I have...............
<plunk>

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it were a new company selling TC watches I might he more optimistic. Ronda may just want volume sales with their cheap movements. Seiko and Citizen have a different mind-set and may not care enough short of distributing more of what they already produce. So says the nearly opaque ball.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm disappointed at the 50 m. It would of have been nice at least 100 m with screw down crown and back. A V.H.P classic looking diver would be nice at 200 m or 300 m. Also, they could of put the V.H.P on their dress watches just like before in the Flagship collection. This way they will have it in the sport and dress collections.

1 - 20 of 1109 Posts