WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello WUS,

I wanted to get feedback on an issues I've been having with my Longines VHP that I purchased earlier this year. I was wondering if any owners have noticed their seconds hand not always hitting the dial markers. Since this was a feature and a huge selling point for me, I have already returned the watch to SGUS for service. It was returned to me with the seconds hand in slightly different alignment but still not hitting all the markers. I wrote a long email to complain and a representative reached out and asked me to return the piece to be serviced again in good faith. I did so and still off. I was told that the watch is very finicky but that the watch was returned to me each time "within tolerances."

So VHP owners, anyone out there with similar issues? Does the seconds hand hit some but not all? Is it slightly off in general? Any advice? The watch is otherwise within specs in terms of timing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s hard to photograph since it misses about a quarter of the markers and hits some others. When it misses it sits about halfway between the marker and smaller 1/3 second marker right before it. The seconds hand is always slightly behind when it misses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post a follow up. Went to the local Longines Boutique here in NYC to take a look at the VHPs they had on hand and compare with mine. Met a very nice sales associate who showed me a couple they had in store and also took a look at mine. She agreed that my seconds had was not hitting the markers perfectly and noticed that the two examples we looked at in store were also not. Very disappointing.

Honestly with all the features being touted on the VHP this looked like a good alternative to a Grand Seiko 9F or a Chonomaster. This probably has pushed me to the point where I'll be ordering a Grand Seiko SBGX293 and letting the Longines find a new home. Now I regret not pulling the trigger with I was in Japan two weeks ago...

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post a follow up. Went to the local Longines Boutique here in NYC to take a look at the VHPs they had on hand and compare with mine. Met a very nice sales associate who showed me a couple they had in store and also took a look at mine. She agreed that my seconds had was not hitting the markers perfectly and noticed that the two examples we looked at in store were also not. Very disappointing.

Honestly with all the features being touted on the VHP this looked like a good alternative to a Grand Seiko 9F or a Chonomaster. This probably has pushed me to the point where I'll be ordering a Grand Seiko SBGX293 and letting the Longines find a new home. Now I regret not pulling the trigger with I was in Japan two weeks ago...
How about posting some pics of the seconds hand not hitting the marks - could be very informative.

TIA

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
I agree, I would not be happy with that, either.

Return it, exchange it or sell it.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmm... I've seen 5 different examples at 3 different stores, and they've all been spot on. Are these watches like cars where you want to avoid Monday/Friday production vs the rest of the week?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Here are some photos of my example as requested.

Just out of interest:

Your pictures were made when when the seconds hand was moving down. When it was on the right side of the dial between markers 12 and 6.

Is the same thing happening on the left side, when the hand moves up between markers 6 and 12?

And in the images, you were holding the watch up. Does it make any difference when the watch is horizontal, flat on a table for instance?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just out of interest:

Your pictures were made when when the seconds hand was moving down. When it was on the right side of the dial between markers 12 and 6.

Is the same thing happening on the left side, when the hand moves up between markers 6 and 12?

And in the images, you were holding the watch up. Does it make any difference when the watch is horizontal, flat on a table for instance?

The seconds hand was not moving and I can assure you that it looks the same when placed down as well.

The interesting thing is that my example hits the markers from 39 to 53 seconds and then from 25 to 29 seconds and even those are not 100% consistent. I understand the the GPD system "remembers" the position of the hands in case of misalignment due to external factors but it feels as if they were never aligned correctly in the first place.

This watch has been serviced by SGUS twice. Each time it was there, service was performed after parts were requested. The watch was then monitored after service. The watch appears to be within tolerances so a replacement might be hard to come by.

Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had a couple of different Seamaster quartz models. Neither of them, including my current daily wear watch, hit the markers exactly all the way around the dial. I'm guessing that means either the dial is not perfectly centered on the movement, or the dial printing is off slightly. I'm not thrilled about it, but I just live with it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,328 Posts
The seconds hand was not moving and I can assure you that it looks the same when placed down as well.

The interesting thing is that my example hits the markers from 39 to 53 seconds and then from 25 to 29 seconds and even those are not 100% consistent. I understand the the GPD system "remembers" the position of the hands in case of misalignment due to external factors but it feels as if they were never aligned correctly in the first place.

This watch has been serviced by SGUS twice. Each time it was there, service was performed after parts were requested. The watch was then monitored after service. The watch appears to be within tolerances so a replacement might be hard to come by.

Frustrating to say the least.
Could it be a dial problem with the markers unequally spaced?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had a couple of different Seamaster quartz models. Neither of them, including my current daily wear watch, hit the markers exactly all the way around the dial. I'm guessing that means either the dial is not perfectly centered on the movement, or the dial printing is off slightly. I'm not thrilled about it, but I just live with it.
There's plenty of threads about Swiss quartz watches not hitting the marker exactly. However, the VHP supposedly does.

After writing that I've gone back and re-read the website, and it doesn't exactly say this - it says it will re-position the hands after shock or magnetism problems. I've also scanned some reviews that I previously read, and they don't make that claim either. I guess many of us assumed that the GPD (Gear Position Detection) system ensured alignment, but I can't find this written anywhere...

Also, after reading Morsu's description, I didn't watch all 5 of the watches I've tried on for a full minute so it's possible they may have missed a few markers, too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think its just a dial adjustment, a big drop can do this.
Yes, I believe that it re-aligns at one point to correct for the hand-motor jumping out of position due to a mechanical-shock or magnetic-trauma. This could help with 'average position error' due to bearing-wear, battery-state or orientation, but I do not think that this is the main problem.
I cannot understand why they make such a big deal of it, never had a hand-displacement problem with my previous VHPs.
It could be that the seconds motor of new VHP is less robust (in order to save power or make it less 'bouncy' to improve hand-alignment).
I think that it is all a matter of detailed design and quality-control (which does not come cheap), in particular gears and alignment of dial to seconds-shaft.
This is from write-up about the new Citizen 1spy :-
LIGA fabrication is used for elements of the gear train that drive the hands, in order to eliminate backlash, or play between gear-teeth. Some degree of play between gear teeth, however minute, is necessary for a gear train to run but it can result in some imprecision in, for example the placement of a seconds hand with respect to dial markers.

This is video of my VHP. Some parts very good, this is worst. The 'good parts ' map stays fairly constant, but it is too variable to blame one thing (ie dial misalaigned).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts