WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an automatic for around $1000-2000. Longines and Baume seem to be in my price range. How would you compare them in terms of quality/ reputation/ look/ etc?

Secondly, any other brands I should look for in that price range but may even have better quality? Tag is probably out of my price range, right? My "watch expert" friends seem to think Tag is too "mass marketed" and told me that Longines & Baume would be better??

Thanks.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I'm looking for an automatic for around $1000-2000. Longines and Baume seem to be in my price range. How would you compare them in terms of quality/ reputation/ look/ etc?

Secondly, any other brands I should look for in that price range but may even have better quality? Tag is probably out of my price range, right? My "watch expert" friends seem to think Tag is too "mass marketed" and told me that Longines & Baume would be better??

Thanks.
About the same. And about the same as Tag.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
You could get an Ebel 1911 or E-Type chrono with the cal. 137 in-house movement for under $2000 (under $1500, if you're lucky). If you can stretch a little beyond $2000 look at the new Seiko Phoenix Brightz chrono (8R28 mvmt.) - column wheel, vertical clutch, the works ...

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i would say that the two brands are about the same too. Maybe i would lean a little to B and M over Longines. Overall, i would rate Baume and Mercier slightly above Tag, however TAG has a more widespread range than B and M.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Went through a similar decision making process a few months ago ....was deciding between a Tag and B&M. In the end I chose B&M because it was different, not mass marketed, looked more classy and fit nicely in my budget. My only regret is not considering the B&M Classima Executives GMT watch!

What made me choose B&M was the simplicity of the dial and the incredible clarity/legibility compared to the Tag I was considering.

Good Luck

Here is my daily wearer:

Reactions: MusicPDX

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am just a huge fan of Baume & Mercier. And as said before, their Classima Executives GMT is a real winner. One of my former profs, who was also the sec gen of NATO, wore one. Hardly a more distinguished looking dude out there. And their not Swatch... so you dont see them all the time.

My grandfather left me with an old gold Longines, and while I appreciate how classic the watch (and the entire brand) is, I'd go with the new B and M pointer GMT any day.

Sorry, but I just hate Tags.

Another watch you could consider in this range is Oris. The dont have the name of the other three, but they are really up and coming. I love some of their new designs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Went through a similar decision making process a few months ago ....was deciding between a Tag and B&M. In the end I chose B&M because it was different, not mass marketed, looked more classy and fit nicely in my budget. My only regret is not considering the B&M Classima Executives GMT watch!

What made me choose B&M was the simplicity of the dial and the incredible clarity/legibility compared to the Tag I was considering.

Good Luck

Here is my daily wearer:

Wow that is a fantastic looking watch. way better than any TAGs on the market at the moment. enjoy. |>

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Welcome! They both seem like brands with appealing designs for the most part - from what I have seen in ADs. B&M and Longines are doing things a little differently than TAG - which is refreshing. The Longines Masters collection really caught my eye the other day. To the OP: I would consider an Omega

It would help us greatly if you specified what type of watch you are looking for. For the office, casual, etc.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Longines, B&M, Tag

Buuuut Tag also has the Calibre 36 which blows just about anything that either Longines or B&M have out of the water thanks to LVMH and Zenith being forced to sell the movement to Tag.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
I'd prefer the B & M, but i also recommend having a look at the Armand Nicolet range - i already own a less complicated model than the complete calendar, but i hope to have one of these when my bank account allows!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Cost a bit more than the price range you have indicated for this one, but it was well worth it -

Probably the only chrono I'd have if I could pick just one ... thankfully, I don't have to do that :-d

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMO, B&M and TAG are both good.
Classy --> B&M (hampton or classima line); Sporty or casual --> TAG (all lines are gd!)
I think the branding of Longines is old and out fashioned...no offence to the Longines fans...

·
Registered
196 Posts
i think b&m, longines, most tags, oris and ball are all pretty close quality wise. From what i've read longines and oris will be making a big push with their adverstising in an effort to grab some mkt share...so they may become more recognizable in the future.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I really like the way Longines look but for some reason they dont feel as high quality as B& M. B&M have a more substantial feel when you have them on your wrist. Just my two cents....

mik

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I cannot say for Longines, as I have not handled, nor have one in possession.

I do have a B&M, and I have to say it is well-made. I would definitely say higher than TAG.

The version I have is from the Capeland S series, black with small seconds, powered by the eta2895.

Best,
Ilham

1 - 20 of 21 Posts