WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks,

I am seeking to buy a new watch. I like to know from all the experts which would be a better watch to buy. Would it be Longines or would it be Montblanc? Please give me your reasoning so that I can understand why do you suggest so as I am new to watch branding.

Why Longines?

I am a petite person and I notice that I have better choices in Longines for 36 mm size watches. I noticed they have good collections of elegant dress watches. While Longines has a long history, they were bought over by Swatch, isn't it? I am not too impressed with Swatch brand.

Why Montblanc?

I have been using their pen and I know they have a reputation. They have good watches but they seem to be highly priced. The watch that I can buy, that is 36 mm, is rather limited as Montblanc makes 39 mm and above ranges when it comes to sizes. Therefore, very limited choices.

Please advice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Longines has been making watches much, much longer than MB. You will be hard pressed to find a bad value in a Longines. There are some MB watches that are not necessarily desirable by general watch enthusiasts, especially their earlier quartz watches. That being said, some of MB's later model mechanical watches are high quality timepieces that justify their price point much, much better.

If budget is a constraint, buy Longines and rest assured that you have acquired a quality watch from a long respected brand. If budget constraints are not as great a concern, you could pick up a new MB mechanical watch and know that you are wearing a very nice watch from a watch brand that is not quite as common. I would imagine it is also a fun idea to consider wearing a MB watch if you enjoy using their pens ;-)

:edit:

On Swatch, do not let that deter you. Swatch owns many brands, ranging from very affordable to high end, and everything in between. Consider this, they also own Omega and Breguet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree with Mediocre. Montblanc take their watch business very seriously though and since they bought Minerva they even have some models with manufacture movements, but of cause, they're more expensive.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I would certainly choose the Longines over the Montblanc IMO. Montblanc hasn't earned the prices they ask for yet and that is not a good business decision... At this point I am just unsure of their future meaning what direction they will go in and if they will be around if I were to pass this on to children etc... Where as Longines is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I think it's very difficult to compare brands on the whole. Any chance you could post some information on the specific watches you're considering?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On Swatch, do not let that deter you. Swatch owns many brands, ranging from very affordable to high end, and everything in between. Consider this, they also own Omega and Breguet.
Thank you for letting me know that Swatch Group owns Omega & Breguet as I wasn't aware. I quickly checked and noticed that Swatch even owns Blancpain and Rado. So I am rather relieved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's very difficult to compare brands on the whole. Any chance you could post some information on the specific watches you're considering?
Here are the two watches. They are both 36mm watches.

Longines: Flagship L4774576

Montblanc: Star 02353

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I like both companies. I have owned several Longines, and only one Montblanc sport diver model. Overall I would pick Longines first, but there are Montblanc models that I prefer to the same syle Longines.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Are they no longer a respected watch company?
Yes they are.

I say it's a toss of the coin type of situation between the two brands, really.
Longines is great, but Montblanc is up and coming and to be perfectly honest every single new timepiece they unveiled lately is one that I would gladly buy. I say don't get too hung on choosing what brand: find THE watch that sings to you and get it. You will not make a mistake with either brand, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Agreed. Something from Longines's Heritage line would be a great place to start.

Truly stupendous past.....first to produce the column wheel chronograph movement, and first to patent the fly back chrono complication. Credit to them!

Montnlanc make some fine watches but Longines's is where you neef to start imo

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I like the history of Longines, considered on par or even above Rolex at one time. Now though, Montblanc makes pieces that are unique and of high quality and thus IMO are on a different level to Longines. I have liked the timewalker line for a while now.

Of the two I would say go for the Montblanc. In this case the Montblanc manages to convey masculine cues while wrapped in a smallish elegant case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Whenever you have a non-Swatchgroup watch come up against a Swatchgroup one, the latter will nearly always be cheaper.

That doesn't mean the former is overpriced.

The pricing also doesn't always relate whether the watch is good.

Whether a watch is good isn't always related to why you like it.

Specifically to do with Longines.
As much as I like the history associated with the name, I find it hard to see that history being related to what the company is today.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
of the two you post I prefer the MB to be honest

thats based purely on style, brand history, price and quality are still question marks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts