WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Breitling Colt automatic, black dial, metal band - so I'm looking for something very different.

Which of these two would you choose and why? And do you have any recommendations for something similar - automatic, white/silver dial, leather band (in this price range)?

Longines.jpg TAGHeuer.jpg

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Personally, I'd choose the Longines....simply because I really happen to like that particular look these days and the dial is more legible.

Here's the thing; you're gonna have a lot of people vote for the Longines because they believe it's a "better" watch. But all too often on these forums, that belief appears to stem from the notion that Tag Heuer's marketing campaign ultimately dictates the quality of their watches. Don't let that sway you. Tag makes a fine watch, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any discernable difference in the quality of these two pieces.

Again, I prefer the Longines based purely on aesthetics....but I don't think you can make a bad choice. I'd follow your heart on this one.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Just a follow up to my earlier post. Unless I'm mistaken, the Longines is based on the ETA 2892, the Tag on an ETA 2824. I don't know which grade either one uses, but you may find this article interesting...

http://www.asthewatchturns.com/?page_id=112

Edit: Well crap, apparently I can't post the link.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Same here, not a big fan of Longines' numerals. So between the 2 my vote goes to TAG. With the price range I'd suggest to also look at B&M Classima and Montblanc Tradition

Baume-et-Mercier_Classima-8731.jpg 203541-ecom-osis-sq-04.png.adapt.450.450.png

·
Registered
705 Posts
Between those two, I think it comes down to preference on the minute markers. Do you prefer indices or Arabic numbers. I think the Longines would work better for times you dress more casual while still looking nice for when you dress up a bit.

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts
As a piece of machinery the Longines is better but there's no denying that the TAG is pretty. I just don't know whether I could put my dislike of the TAG brand away and buy the watch.

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
Between the two brands, I say pick one, they both make nice watches. I used to have a bad opinion of TAG mainly because all the rich kids wore them in the late 80's (which really says more about me than the watch). However, I think TAG has been making some nice watches and interesting pieces. Longines has a long history and makes some great pieces. Their column wheel chronographs are great values compared to what else is out there, plus they are putting them into some nice pieces. Here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I love the classic Marine watch aesthetic. I also much prefer a classy fancy font for a nice watch over boring markers (leave those for the divers). The newest GO Senator Observer has the same exact font and it's getting much praise for looking nicer than the old model. I'd easily go with the Longines here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I'm leaning toward a Longines, but now two entirely different models... I'm going to post that head-to-head in the brand forum.

-D

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Here's the thing; you're gonna have a lot of people vote for the Longines because they believe it's a "better" watch. But all too often on these forums, that belief appears to stem from the notion that Tag Heuer's marketing campaign ultimately dictates the quality of their watches. Don't let that sway you. Tag makes a fine watch, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any discernable difference in the quality of these two pieces.

Again, I prefer the Longines based purely on aesthetics....but I don't think you can make a bad choice. I'd follow your heart on this one.
Agreed. Although I grew up admiring TAG on a very surface non-WIS level, it isn't one of my favorite watchmakers. But I will likely buy a Monaco and a black-dial Carrera some day. They make fine watches with varying degrees of aesthetic appeal. Just like every other watchmaker.

Like Rolex and other companies, TAG does plenty of marketing. Unlike most watchmakers, and more like Rolex, it is really good at it. Which, along with complaints about its use of outsourced movements, and the pricing for its quartz watches, is why some watch collectors disdain it.

All that said, I prefer the Longines, specifically because of the aesthetics. The blue hands are lovely and I am a fan of the numerals on the dial. In person, the Longines is also more-impressive with its dial than this version of the Carrera. Whichever the OP chooses, wear it in great health.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I do not like the "barleycorn" dial on the Longines but I like the classic look of the TAG.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This Tag was on my list when looking for a new watch, but the Longines is also nice. But for me postilion of the date window is messed up. It's like the watch design was done and then suddenly someone said "let's put a date there" and was not bothered where.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Both look like something Bill Lumbergh would wear. They make me bored and vaguely anxious I didn't put the new cover sheet on my TPS reports.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts