WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oris_ProPilot_Day-Date_560.jpg

Stubbornly independent Oris introduced the new Big Crown ProPilot Day-Date at Baselworld 2014. It’s designed for enhanced legibility in a cockpit environment, with a larger calendar indication than earlier Oris pilots’ watches together with greater legibility on the dial with Super-LumiNova-inlaid hands, numerals and indices against a black dial. The first Oris Big Crown was launched way back in 1938 and was used by fighter pilots fighting over Normandy in World War II.

Oris_ProPilot_Day-Date_side_560.jpg

The 45mm watch also features Oris’ distinctive vintage-look coin-edge bezel, caseback and crown. The multi-part stainless steel case is water-resistant to 100 metres. The watch is powered by the calibre 752 movement movement, Caliber 752, viewable through a clear sapphire caseback and complete with Oris’ hallmark red rotor. The watch comes on a military style canvas strap. The watch will retail in the region of US$1,600.
Oris_ProPilot_Day-Date_back_560.jpg

Visit the Oris website

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Like the legibility. 45mm seems a little like overkill... I wonder if it has a screw down crown? The strap looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm uneasy about the larger size, but I absolutely love this Big Crown. I'm blown away by the awesome hands and the clean matte dial without 24-hour markings. It's refreshing to see a new watch with a regular screw-down caseback not fixed with tiny screws. For me, this one fills the void left by the discontinued Fortis Pilot Pro.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The date-only version is a more reasonable 41mm and thus has made my shortlist. It looks great on the bracelet as well (at least from Basel photos).

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I like it, but wouldn't buy it due to size anyway. They make a smaller version with date-only that is on my radar though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am hoping the size is not overly large, also. I just ordered this watch earlier this afternoon; I really love the clear, uncluttered nature of the dial but want the day in addition to the date function so I will do my best to make it work for me.This is my first high quality watch I have ever purchased to show me what I have been missing all these past decades. i alrready have my sights on a Big Crown ProPilot Chronograph (not the GMT version).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I am hoping the size is not overly large, also. I just ordered this watch earlier this afternoon; I really love the clear, uncluttered nature of the dial but want the day in addition to the date function so I will do my best to make it work for me.This is my first high quality watch I have ever purchased to show me what I have been missing all these past decades. i alrready have my sights on a Big Crown ProPilot Chronograph (not the GMT version).
I'd never been above a 42mm but the 45mm sits nicely on my 175mm wrist.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too was worried about the size, and since 40-41mm is my sweet spot, I went for the ProPilot Date and couldn't be happier(41mm case).
Oris ProPilot Date.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts