WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grandma's and Grandpa's watches!

I am sure the Timex was Grandma's.

I laughed out oud at seeing the Elgin, as I had just lost a bid on an old Helbros with the same design... but this one is Family so it's worth more! It wound up and ran overnite. I'll service it and let ya'all know when it's done.

But my jaw really hit the floor with the Hamilton Thin-O-Matic. It has no crystal, and thus the dial is scratched from being in the bottom of a file box. The seconds hand is bent as well.... But I shook it and it ran. I think it is a Hamilton Micro-rotor movement too... I'll have to get help from my watchmaker getting this one back to life. Again, I'll keep y'all up to date.

Found Watches-2.JPG

Found Watches-3.JPG

Found Watches-4.JPG

Found Watches-6.JPG

Found Watches-5.JPG

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Pity the Hammy isn't in good shape. But that Elgin appears to be in really good condition. A service and polishing the crystal, and it'll be good to wear.

·
Registered
635 Posts
With bent seconds hand and scratches on dial the Hammy does look like a "Masterpiece" :) But I think it will scrub up well. What does the "AM" at 12 o'clock stand for?

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
Nice watches , get them serviced and enjoy them.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Thanks - Hamilton & Gruen definitely worthy servicing/restoring.
I don't see any Gruen here... There's a Hamilton and an Elgin. If you're referring to the joint venture on the micro-rotor movement, that was Hamilton and Buren.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y'all!

They are definitely BOTh worth servicing and wearing.
Gives me 5 nice old Family watches worth saving and wearing.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction: The "AM" on the Hamilton is for Addressograph Memograph, the company he was a milling machine operator for for 35 years.
They made, among other things, credit card swipers. (For those of us who remember the 3 layer, carbon copy, credit card receipt machines)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The Elgin might be holding one of the first generation 8/0 movements, the 519 series, which would place it before 1940. Definitely worth the trouble, IMO. To me, more interesting than a Hamilton with a Swiss movement.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we will all find out here in about a month. Right now I am away from my watch desk.. so it'll have to await before i can crack these open properly and look.

Duh-Dum-Dummmm.... Suspenseful music here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts