WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was passing by the local Omega boutique yesterday and wandered in just to have a look around.
Just as I was heading out after a lap around the store, I spotted something at the back of the Speedmaster display.

A brand new Alaska Project!!!!
I was stopped dead in my tracks. Surely there can't be many / any of these still left unsold in the AD network??
Lot's of questions, checking of the box, cards, accessories etc and there was no way I was going to pass it up.

So after having it double checked I picked it up this afternoon.

As we know, "Pics or it didn't happen".......
(Serial number disguised by me)

Alaska 1.jpg
Alaska 2.jpg
Alaska 3.jpg
Alaska 4.jpg
Alaska 5.jpg
Alaska 6.jpg
Alaska 7.jpg
Alaska 8.jpg
Alaska 9.jpg
Alaska 10.jpg
Alaska 11.jpg
Alaska 12.jpg
(I'll be swapping it onto the bracelet for wearing from tomorrow)

And now a quick shot with it sitting in place with the rest of the collection:
Watch box 200614.jpg

Sorry for so many pics, but I was excited to share my pleasant surprise.
Cheers and have a great weekend everyone.:-!

Edit to add key for watch box shot.....
Watch box key 200614.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
I was passing by the local Omega boutique yesterday and wandered in just to have a look around.
Just as I was heading out after a lap around the store, I spotted something at the back of the Speedmaster display.

A brand new Alaska Project!!!!
I was stopped dead in my tracks. Surely there can't be many / any of these still left unsold in the AD network??
Lot's of questions, checking of the box, cards, accessories etc and there was no way I was going to pass it up.

So after having it double checked I picked it up this afternoon.

As we know, "Pics or it didn't happen".......
(Serial number disguised by me)

(I'll be swapping it onto the bracelet for wearing from tomorrow)

And now a quick shot with it sitting in place with the rest of the collection:

Sorry for so many pics, but I was excited to share my pleasant surprise.
Cheers and have a great weekend everyone.:-!

Edit to add key for watch box shot.....
This is super cool! What exactly is the Alaska Project by the way? Some NASA/Military thing the watch is commemorating?

Reactions: Popeye69

·
Premium Member
40,566 Posts
Congrats. That's a really great find. No wonder you couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
nice work, i love the red seconds hand for the chrono. I'd love to mod my speedy pro with a red or red tipped second hand at some point in the future.

·
Premium Member
22,351 Posts
If anyone is looking for one, there is one in the Omega boutique at South Coast Plaza in Orange Country, California.

Reactions: ck1109 and Popeye69

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is super cool! What exactly is the Alaska Project by the way? Some NASA/Military thing the watch is commemorating?
Its a tribute to a project undertaken in 1970 by Omega to improve on the speedy pro and make a watch that was even more capable in the worst conditions.
The outer red case protects the watch from -140 to +260 degrees celsius. The white face is there as the black face absorbs heat and the hands on the chrono are shaped like that for legibility when vision is difficult.
After the project was completed NASA said 'no thanks we're good' and the project was shut down.
The original prototype watch sold recently for $27,000 at auction.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Its a tribute to a project undertaken in 1970 by Omega to improve on the speedy pro and make a watch that was even more capable in the worst conditions.
The outer red case protects the watch from -100 to +100 degrees celsius. The white face is there as the black face absorbs heat and the hands on the chrono are shaped like that for legibility when vision is difficult.
After the project was completed NASA said 'no thanks we're good' and the project was shut down.
The original prototype watch sold recently for $27,000 at auction.
Ah, thanks. Good to know the watch will survive even after the owner has frozen to an icicle/burnt to a crisp :p

Joking aside this is definitely one of the most interesting Omegas I've seen.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Wow! Nice find. Somehow, it seems to sit/ fit very nicely in that empty slot! Congrats and wear in great health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love how there is so much logic to your collection. If I managed to keep most of the watches I've acquired over the years the Wildcard section would be bursting at the seams and the practical sections would be sitting with too many of those reserved slots

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
What is the red protective outer case made of? How do you install it? How does the strap or buckle attach to it? And, most importantly, can we have some shots of the watch with the outer case installed?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I always thought this was the best Limited Edition iteration of the Speedy Pro Omega did.
Very very good find! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
One of the top ten highs ..... accidentally finding something you never thought you would come across .....

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Cool... Looks very nice.

Wear it well in good health!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not sure I could pull off wearing that watch, be wow, that's a gorgeous piece. I like Speedmaster's but I don't go crazy for them, but this one could be the exception. Well done!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts