WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cats,

Going through the Horological nightmare of a collection mess on my dresser and find this sweet little gem, haven't the foggiest as to where it came from but bonus for me. Been wanting a little pocket knock around and this will work perfect.

The Seiko is 38 including crown

Pop out this rusty, scratched up old movement to deal with on a later day.

Pop in this lovely little mint number I've been storing

I should end up with a nice little knock around.

Stay tuned for finished pics if you'd like :)

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Case and crystal so far, I've always liked the yellowing that happens on crystals just so long as it's not too bad the coin edge is still nice and strong as well. I wonder who owned this, I bet he'd have stories to tell on where this watch has traveled

;-)

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Case and crystal so far, I've always liked the yellowing that happens on crystals just so long as it's not too bad the coin edge is still nice and strong as well. I wonder who owned this, I bet he'd have stories to tell on where this watch has traveled

;-)

Peace,
Preston
I wonder why the small size? Doctor or Nurses watch perhaps? :think:
She polished up nicely. I look forward to seeing it all back together.
Nice find Preston!

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I wonder why the small size? Doctor or Nurses watch perhaps? :think:
She polished up nicely. I look forward to seeing it all back together.
Nice find Preston!

Regards,
Chris
Looks like a small "hunter" case ladies pocket watch.
They were worn on necklaces and similar things. Small and light.
I'm working on one at the moment...if I ever get around to finishing it... :p

Reactions: howards4th

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sterling silver knock around is done, where the movement was already serviced it dialed it to accurate in one tweak.

In the pocket it goes for knock around testing for... well as long as it survives I guess.

Movement data: Seaside grade, manufacture 1902, 10,000 run for that year, 0s, 15 jewels.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a small "hunter" case ladies pocket watch.
They were worn on necklaces and similar things. Small and light.
I'm working on one at the moment...if I ever get around to finishing it... :p
Clearly Fred was secure in his masculinity as he seemed fine using this as his timepIece or was it....Fredrica? ;-) Judging by the amount of dents I had to work out of the case lid I'd say it spent very little time around somebody's neck.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
You popped out the old rusty movement. Did you ever wonder why it was rusty? Could have been exposed to water/moisture or the gases emitted by the yellowing plastic crystal. If your new movement starts rusting it's the deteriorating nitrocellulose plastic crystal. You might like how it looks, but it's hell on watches.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You popped out the old rusty movement. Did you ever wonder why it was rusty? Could have been exposed to water/moisture or the gases emitted by the yellowing plastic crystal. If your new movement starts rusting it's the deteriorating nitrocellulose plastic crystal. You might like how it looks, but it's hell on watches.
Is it? Well then I should dig through the piles and swap it out. Thank you for your insight Ron. Very much appreciate the new piece of knowledge!

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ron,

Swapped out the crystal and while at it the hands to a shiny set. The distortions your see are from the crystal protective film. I'm leaving it in place as I intend to convert the case into a drivers watch.

Peace,
Preston

1 - 11 of 11 Posts