WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's a bit of a story, but to summarize I had a 39mm Explorer that I liked quite a lot, but for a number of reasons I sold it. One of the reasons I parted with it is that I'm allergic to nickel, and I found it a little uncomfortable to wear, a kind of very minor but perpetual itch/tingle. Nothing severe, but it made it hard to enjoy the watch. I make the point because buying another Explorer isn't an option, but I do miss it.

I'm looking for a simple, subtle, uncomplicated watch to replace the Explorer, here are my criteria:

mid-sized (~40mm +/- 1mm)
in-house movement built for functionality/durability
A variety of strap/bracelet options
No complications (including a diving bezel) date is ok
Interesting brand and model history
I generally prefer dials without arabic numerals, but it's not a hard rule

The automatic spitfire ticks all of my boxes, and it's a great looking watch. I've confirmed with IWC that the bracelet from the Mark XVIII fits the case. There's also something that I really like about IWC having sold watches to both axis and allied forced during WW2. Its quintessentially Swiss. I just thought I'd ask if there's something else I should be considering.

The rest of my small collection is a JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931, a Blancpain Bathyscaphe, a Zenith Chronomaster with white lacquer dial, and an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I've had many other watches in the past, but I've been collecting for a little while and am tired of flipping, these are the ones that have stood the test of time for me, to give you an idea of what I like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the IWC spitfire myself, so I am naturally a bit biased, but it is a great watch! The bracelet from mark xviii does indeed fit, however the spitfire looks best on a strap in my opinion. As for considering something else, your criteria does provide quite a bit of options. Maybe a Grand Seiko, Tudor BB58, Zenith Pilot (40mm) or something along those lanes?

·
Registered
759 Posts
So it's a bit of a story, but to summarize I had a 39mm Explorer that I liked quite a lot, but for a number of reasons I sold it. One of the reasons I parted with it is that I'm allergic to nickel, and I found it a little uncomfortable to wear, a kind of very minor but perpetual itch/tingle. Nothing severe, but it made it hard to enjoy the watch. I make the point because buying another Explorer isn't an option, but I do miss it.

I'm looking for a simple, subtle, uncomplicated watch to replace the Explorer, here are my criteria:

mid-sized (~40mm +/- 1mm)
in-house movement built for functionality/durability
A variety of strap/bracelet options
No complications (including a diving bezel) date is ok
Interesting brand and model history
I generally prefer dials without arabic numerals, but it's not a hard rule

The automatic spitfire ticks all of my boxes, and it's a great looking watch. I've confirmed with IWC that the bracelet from the Mark XVIII fits the case. There's also something that I really like about IWC having sold watches to both axis and allied forced during WW2. Its quintessentially Swiss. I just thought I'd ask if there's something else I should be considering.

The rest of my small collection is a JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931, a Blancpain Bathyscaphe, a Zenith Chronomaster with white lacquer dial, and an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I've had many other watches in the past, but I've been collecting for a little while and am tired of flipping, these are the ones that have stood the test of time for me, to give you an idea of what I like.
There are undoubtedly plenty of options that fit your criteria, but speaking as an ex-Explorer owner whose daily is now the Spitfire Auto, I'd say it's a terrific option. Mine has been incredibly accurate, runs for over 75 hours on a full wind, remains legible in any light and yet still boasts a dynamic and beautiful dial and handset, within a crisply finished case.

The older Omega Railmasters offer a competitive package, as do some pieces from GS, etc. But as an all-rounder Pilot the Spitfire is a home run, IMO.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are undoubtedly plenty of options that fit your criteria, but speaking as an ex-Explorer owner whose daily is now the Spitfire Auto, I'd say it's a terrific option. Mine has been incredibly accurate, runs for over 75 hours on a full wind, remains legible in any light and yet still boasts a dynamic and beautiful dial and handset, within a crisply finished case.

The older Omega Railmasters offer a competitive package, as do some pieces from GS, etc. But as an all-rounder Pilot the Spitfire is a home run, IMO.
This is great feedback. It's perfectly relevant to my situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As an owner of the 214270 and a Mark XVI (similar size as the Spitfire you are interested in, 39mm diameter) on bracelet I can say that you won't be disappointed with the Spitfire. The only thing that the Mark loses out to the Explorer is the lack of micro-adjustment (which your Spitfire would have). Otherwise, they are competing wrist time head to head for me. Sometimes I prefer one over the other, but mostly based on aesthetic preferences. For example, I really enjoy how the slightly domed crystal and the double AR coating on the IWC provides extreme legibility on the dial. As much as I like the dial of the Explorer, the glare can be pretty annoying for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts