WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's a bit of a story, but to summarize I had a 39mm Explorer that I liked quite a lot, but for a number of reasons I sold it. One of the reasons I parted with it is that I'm allergic to nickel, and I found it a little uncomfortable to wear, a kind of very minor but perpetual itch/tingle. Nothing severe, but it made it hard to enjoy the watch. I make the point because buying another Explorer isn't an option, but I do miss it.

I'm looking for a simple, subtle, uncomplicated watch to replace the Explorer, here are my criteria:

Mid-sized (~40mm +/- 1mm)
Mid-thickness (<11mm)
In-house movement built for functionality/durability
Variety of strap/bracelet options
No complications (including a diving bezel) date is ok
Interesting brand and model history
I generally prefer dials without arabic numerals, but it's not a hard rule

The automatic spitfire ticks all of my boxes, and it's a great looking watch. I've confirmed with IWC that the bracelet from the Mark XVIII fits the case. There's also something that I really like about IWC having sold watches to both axis and allied forced during WW2. Its quintessentially Swiss. I just thought I'd ask if there's something else I should be considering.

To give a bit more context, the rest of my small collection is a JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931, a Blancpain Bathyscaphe, a Zenith Chronomaster with white lacquer dial, and an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I've had many other watches in the past, but I've been collecting for a little while and I no longer have any interest in flipping. I've kind-of figured out what I like and these are the ones that have stood the test of time for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does that IWC have an in-house movement ? I thought it had a Selita.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pic. Honestly, I love these watches. But I'd rather purchases a $300 Hamilton Khaki:
View attachment 15859023
I keep looking at the Hamilton and wanting to like it, but I just can't quite get there. I've read a number of people have problems with the H-50 movement (winding system failures, broken mainsprings, etc.) which means I'd always be wondering just how fragile it is. The bracelet is quite flimsy as well, which isn't a knock on it, at the price it's just what you get. I know that the two watches are really similar aesthetically, but quality wise they're not in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Glashutte Senator Navigator? They stopped making this model in the early 2000s but its 38mm, nicely decorated in house movment, and large date function. The current Senator Excellence black dial version has white arabics, but no date:
GO.jpeg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The GO is a great suggestion. I'll look into that definitely. I'm also on the hunt for a white dialled dress adjacent watch and their panoreserve is on my short list. This might change that calculation.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The GO is a great suggestion. I'll look into that definitely. I'm also on the hunt for a white dialled dress adjacent watch and their panoreserve is on my short list. This might change that calculation.
The Panoreserve is amazing, I especially like that its a little thinner than the Pano Lunar and you can see more of the movement. I like IWC a lot (have an Ingeniuer) and was thinking about getting a Mark XII, but the GO movement finishing is another level:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I keep looking at the Hamilton and wanting to like it, but I just can't quite get there. I've read a number of people have problems with the H-50 movement (winding system failures, broken mainsprings, etc.) which means I'd always be wondering just how fragile it is. The bracelet is quite flimsy as well, which isn't a knock on it, at the price it's just what you get. I know that the two watches are really similar aesthetically, but quality wise they're not in the same ballpark.

Yes agreed. Def quality is not even same ballpark. Maybe check stow and/or Archimede's offering - there may be something esthetically similar. Again quality may not be up to par.

·
Registered
328 Posts
So it's a bit of a story, but to summarize I had a 39mm Explorer that I liked quite a lot, but for a number of reasons I sold it. One of the reasons I parted with it is that I'm allergic to nickel, and I found it a little uncomfortable to wear, a kind of very minor but perpetual itch/tingle. Nothing severe, but it made it hard to enjoy the watch. I make the point because buying another Explorer isn't an option, but I do miss it.

I'm looking for a simple, subtle, uncomplicated watch to replace the Explorer, here are my criteria:

Mid-sized (~40mm +/- 1mm)
Mid-thickness (<11mm)
In-house movement built for functionality/durability
Variety of strap/bracelet options
No complications (including a diving bezel) date is ok
Interesting brand and model history
I generally prefer dials without arabic numerals, but it's not a hard rule

The automatic spitfire ticks all of my boxes, and it's a great looking watch. I've confirmed with IWC that the bracelet from the Mark XVIII fits the case. There's also something that I really like about IWC having sold watches to both axis and allied forced during WW2. Its quintessentially Swiss. I just thought I'd ask if there's something else I should be considering.

To give a bit more context, the rest of my small collection is a JLC Reverso Tribute to 1931, a Blancpain Bathyscaphe, a Zenith Chronomaster with white lacquer dial, and an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I've had many other watches in the past, but I've been collecting for a little while and I no longer have any interest in flipping. I've kind-of figured out what I like and these are the ones that have stood the test of time for me.
The Spitfire comes on a NATO strap. Does anybody happen to know if you can swap to a leather strap - or are there fixed bars between the lugs - ie no ability to put in spring bars?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I'd be in love with the Mark XVIII if the date window didn't totally kill it for me.

Much rather this at maybe a third the price. Movement is based on the 2892 or SW300 same as the regular (non Spitfire) Mark XVIII and the date is done perfectly.

Bell-Ross-BR-V1-92-Black-Steel-1.jpg

Reactions: K42

·
Premium Member
70,251 Posts
Cast your eyes over some of the Citizen titanium offerings . They’re not on the price level of the IWC but I like them all the same.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts