WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Spitfire comes on a NATO strap. Does anybody happen to know if you can swap to a leather strap - or are there fixed bars between the lugs - ie no ability to put in spring bars?
Spitfire also comes on a leather strap if you want.

Personally, I would NOT buy this watch new. I'd wager it'll come up at a significant discount (~$1,000+) on the used market in a year or two. If you can negotiate a nice discount with your IWC dealer, then maybe buy new.

·
Premium Member
35,106 Posts
I agree about looking for one on the used market. Let someone else take the depreciation hit first.

I have seen some nice examples on watchrecon.com.

Good luck.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'm going to just stick with the Spitfire, and see if I can track on down. The AD closest to me says that they've had a quite a few inquiries about them in the last few months. They have nothing in stock but are going to see how long it will take them to bring one in.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The GO is a great suggestion. I'll look into that definitely. I'm also on the hunt for a white dialled dress adjacent watch and their panoreserve is on my short list. This might change that calculation.

I have a GO Senator Excellence and an older IWC Mark XVII (ETA 2892 powered). I think the GO is more of a dressy casual watch and the IWC is an everyday watch. With 50m WR, the GO can be worn in most situations, but I think the IWC is a better match for everyday wear. I thought about swapping my XVII for the newer in-house powered Spitfire, but decided I am too bonded to the older reference to make the swap. I don't think you can go wrong with it and if the bracelet from the XVIII fits, even better. The XVII and XVIII bracelets are amazing.

I have about a 17cm wrist, the 41mm case fits well.

·
Registered
968 Posts
May I suggest something from Bremont, either an Airco or a Solo.
They use modified ETA movements.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the Spitfire Automatic with the leather strap and planned to sell it this week. The watch It is very accurate, has an excellent reserve, and winding is a joy (so smooth and even). It also works well with different straps. (I swapped the leather with an Erika’s Originals soon after acquiring it).

I just decided to look into something else, as I’m still trying to find the “perfect” one for me. (I wanted an Explorer I and wish I had acquired one before it was discontinued).

Anyway, I think it is a wonderful piece. I may even regret selling it. But such is life and this hobby.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you’re into bronze, it pairs perfectly with the green dial on the Spitfire Bronze (and the green dial pairs perfectly with green jackets). I have the chrono version (pic below) but you can just get the IW326802 version with date and no chronograph. The patina adds great character to the watch.

Brand new on IWC textile strap the boutique threw in as part of the deal:

After about 6 months (back on the original leather strap):

Being a Pilot’s Watch, had to take it flying. Actually matches the instrument panel quite well!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts