WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's that time again where I am looking for a new watch (sometimes I get tired of myself too :p). I'm still trying to broaden my knowledge of what's available on the market. After purchasing two quartz watches, I decided I wanted an automatic watch in my collection (quartz is just quartz I guess). I've been looking through similar threads in the price range. However, due to my distinct taste, not many suggestions matched my criteria. I summed up my requirements below. It would be great if some of you could suggest me some nice ones matching my criteria.

- Sapphire crystal
- Stainless Steel Bracelet
- Clasp with micro-adjustment holes or bracelet with half links
- Decorated Automatic Movement (I really like the looks of Omega's 8500 co-axial caliber)
- Movement should be reliable
- Quality, fit and finish of the case is important to me
- (Sapphire) crystal display back
- Round watch case
- Black or silver dial (or blue 'starburst' dial)
- No Roman numerals (Arabic numerals are OK)
- More at the dressy side (clean watch dial)
- Preferably with luminescent hand/markers
- Preferably with a date window
- Preferably a thin watch case
- Budget around 500 EUR, but can stretch it to 1k EUR if it is a really cool piece

I've come across one watch that fits my requirements: Seiko SARB033 (SEIKO Automatic SARB033 | seiyajapan.com). However, I'm always open to other suggestions (more choice = better ;) ).

·
Premium Member
34,536 Posts
A SARB model of some type would be your best bet.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
You absolutely cannot go wrong with SARBS in that price range (well within that price range, even). However, if you're open to SARBs you might also consider Orient Stars. I've personally been thinking about this guy recently:
WZ0091EL.jpg
That's an Orient Star WZ0091EL. Can be had for under US$400 on Rakuten. If you Google it you'll see a million pics, including of the decorated movement (not amazing, but quite nice for this price range). I was thinking of putting it on a brown croc strap with a polished deployant, but reviews seem to consistently note the high quality of the bracelet. The 008 and 007 models are white and black, and are lovely also (the white one especially, imho). I think this literally hits every single one of your bulletpoints except the thin case (it's average, perhaps even a shade thick, but only by dressy-watch standards).

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the new suggestions. I prefer the Seiko over the Orient. The Orient's dial is too light for my taste. I prefer a deep blue dial. The Certina Powermatic 80 looks alright. Not a big fan of the rotor design.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A week passed and I have found some new ones I liked.

SARB045 (although discontinued; pic from DPflaumer)

Certina DS-1 Titanium (although I don't like Titanium watches)

Orient Star WZ0061DV

I also really like the design of the Tag Heuer Carrera WV211B.BA0787

I'm currently leaning towards a bluefaced dial since I already have a black and silver one. Based on these new candidates, are there any other ones similar to these ones in the price range?

·
Registered
792 Posts
A lot of Steinhart watches fall into your budget and specs range--well liked brand on WUS, so many reviews also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatapatapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of Steinhart watches fall into your budget and specs range--well liked brand on WUS so many reviews
I'll look into that brand! Thanks

Forgot to mention, I also really liked the looks of this fairly unknown watch by Giorgio Rossi

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd tell you to hold out for the SARB045 as mine just came in yesterday (brand new old stock - July 2012 model) from Shopping in Japan which I highly recommend (just as good as Chino, Higuchi, or Seiya-san in my book!). Unfortunately, the price is way above 500 bucks, but worth it to me. Either way, let us know what you decide on.
1.jpg 2.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts