WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on purchasing my first nice watch in a few months, and looking for some suggestions on brands to research to broaden my search. My budget is around $1,500 and I am looking for a automatic chronograph that I can wear everyday. I dress casual for work (khakis and a polo) and wear short sleeves a majority of the time so I am looking for something less formal and pretty subtle style. In a perfect world I would buy my dream watch, Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 Chronograph with a white face and steel bracelet (model CAR2111.BA0720), but it is way over my price range.

I want a watch around 41 mm (I have a 7 inch wrist) that is relatively thin (going to be tough to find in my price range). Other watches I like are the Longines column-wheel chronograph (L2.733.4.72.2) but want a steel bracelet, the Longines Master Collection chronograph (L2.629.4.78.6) but would prefer it without the arabic numbers, and the Hamilton Thinline Chrono (H38612153) but want an auto. My knowledge on brands is clearly limited, so do you guys have any suggestions on other watches I should look at in a similar style. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome, Andrew. The closest look to the Tag that I can think of off the top of my head, and in your budget, is the Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono. It seems to fit your criteria well. Also, since your perfect watch is the Tag Carrera, and you already are almost halfway there with your $1500 budget (assuming an AD discount or grey market buy), have you considered putting off your purchase a little longer. Maybe you can save the funds and afford that Tag you really want, rather than getting a less expensive (although not cheap at $1500, substitute). Alot of people around here, myself included, have come up against this same type of situation, and sometimes the substitute just does not fill the void.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I noticed you said you didn't want the Longines due to the arabic numbers, but I feel that the Stowa 1938 Chronograph is a worthy mention even with the arabic numbers. It is a gorgeous watch and it'd look great dressed up, or dressed down.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Go to Amazon.com and enter your budget and narrow down your options to automatic cronographs and you´ll get a pretty good "feel" of what your options are. Most chronos are very thick no matter the price point and usually they come with leather straps though. But, there is a plethora of Valjoux7750 chronos out there so you´ll have fun looking around.

Take care!

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's difficult to find automatic chronograph (ETA7750) under 1,500$). As I know there are 2 watches : Tissot Le Locle and Hamilton Jazzmaster
If you increase budget to 1,800 you can get Mido Multifort Chronograph. This one is pretty nice and high quality with reasonable price.
But if you budget to 2,000 to 2,500, you can get many model i.e. Maurice Lacroix - Les Classique Chronographe etc.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
The Hamilton Jazzmaster Auto Chrono (in 44mm vertical or 42mm side-by-side) is probably your best bet. Anything with the Valjoux 7750 movement is going to be a great watch to own; I now have three watches with that movement, and it's one of my favorite movements. It's got this heavy rotor and loud tick, and it's very accurate out of the box. Love it; you can't go wrong with a watch with a Valjoux 7750.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
You can get a Guinand 351.65 (Oldtimer range) for less than Euro600 ...

And since Helmut Sinn is running the company, you KNOW that the quality will be good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have looked been looking at the Hamiltons both the smaller Maestro and Jazzmaster Auto Chrono. I have not seen any of the watches I posted in person yet, but from pictures the Hamiltons look very thick. I'm assuming most watches in this discussion have similar thickness because they share the same movement?

Duder: Your comment about saving for the watch I really want is something I have been thinking about for awhile. I would love to have the Tag, but it would be really hard to justify spending over 3 grand on a watch right now. It does concern me that I will be settling for something less meaningful because of my budget, though.

v76, mn85: Thanks for the suggestions guys. Both seem like very nice watches, but not quite the style I am after, the Stowa is too vintage and the Guinands are too casual.

Hermes: I have added the Mido to my list as possibilities, as the arabic numbers isn't a huge turn off and actually might be growing on me.

Any others I should check out? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Thanks for all the recommendations. I have looked been looking at the Hamiltons both the smaller Maestro and Jazzmaster Auto Chrono. I have not seen any of the watches I posted in person yet, but from pictures the Hamiltons look very thick. I'm assuming most watches in this discussion have similar thickness because they share the same movement?
Yes, the 7750-based watches will be taller to accommodate the movement thickness. I have or have owned several, ranging in diameter from 39mm to 48mm. The smaller case designs don't seem to wear as tall (probably because the overall case design is smaller).

You can look for a used Hamilton, in a smaller size, if that's what you're after.
I just picked up a (discontinued) 39mm, 7750-based silver-dial chrono on the sales forum, for example. It doesn't wear that large and is dressier than many I've seen.

Good luck with the search. :-!

·
Registered
20,990 Posts

Duder: Your comment about saving for the watch I really want is something I have been thinking about for awhile. I would love to have the Tag, but it would be really hard to justify spending over 3 grand on a watch right now. It does concern me that I will be settling for something less meaningful because of my budget, though.

v76, mn85: Thanks for the suggestions guys. Both seem like very nice watches, but not quite the style I am after, the Stowa is too vintage and the Guinands are too casual.

Hermes: I have added the Mido to my list as possibilities, as the arabic numbers isn't a huge turn off and actually might be growing on me.

Any others I should check out? Thanks again.
My two watches with 7750s are both of similar thickness, despite one being a dressy chrono and the other being a dive chrono. My third one is waiting for me at home, so I can let you know in about 6 hours if that's as thick as the others. It's a smaller case--42mm, rather than 44 and 45.5mm like my other two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Christopher Wards look nice, especially the C9 Harrison Limited edition. They have been added to the list of possibilities. Thanks for all the other suggestions, keep them coming if anyone has anything to add.

Also, how does the 2894 movement in the Longines Master Collection compare to the 7750, I have heard it is thinner, is that correct? People in this thread have said really positive things about the 7750, how about the 2894 or 2892? I will also search the forum for this info but hopefully you guys can give me some info with respect to the watches we have been discussing.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
$1500 budget + careful shopping = used Speedy Pro. Not an auto, but you get the pleasure of winding your watch every day.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Baume Mercier Classima comes to mind. One on the forum and I know it is mint for you budget
also, research is great if you keep on track. Check the forum member site watchsellers and call them. New watches come in all the time and a lot of his are mint at huge discounts. Let them know what you want. I also see Eterna 7750s mint for $650 right now. Deals are becoming easier to find this month with the exception of certain brands. Tag seems to have become a bit hotter lately. Owned a few and regret not owning them now. Also, put it a WTB ad. You may get an email from seller before it lists. I got a nice deal that way recently.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Longines Hydro Conquest chronograph is really nice and fits your budget.. With a good brand and solid build watch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts