WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I've been looking at various manufacturers—Oris, Omega, Sinn, etc. I'm looking for a very durable "nice" watch. I like the looks of the Sinn U1, Omega Speedmaster & Seamaster, and many other models across brands. I just want something I don't need to worry about. Going to a football game with friends? No worries. Jump in the pool? No worries. Hit it on a doorpost/mailbox/sink while washing hands? No worries. To be honest, I know that quartz is somewhat of a dirty word around here, but I don't really mind if it's quartz (I do have an appreciation for automatics, however).

I know a g-shock or similar would fit the bill given I haven't indicated a price range, but I'm not looking for that. That's where my somewhat hazy category of niceness fits in.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I'd try a Sinn U1, an Omega Seamaster Professional or Planet Ocean, or a Breitling Superocean.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I'd go quartz - I think a Breitling Colt Thermo-compensated Quartz would be a perfect watch for you actually. Hyper-accurate. Very rugged. Very water resistant. Good looking. I find it has the same general 'feel' as an Omega Seamaster.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Breitling Emergency? It can even accompany you to the middle of the ocean and you can still get help if needed. :)

If rescue is not needed, I would think Omega Seamaster Quartz or Breitling B1 will fit the bill of the "Nice and tough" quartz watches.

If you can find one, I would suggest Rolex Datejust Oyster Quartz, they would seem to fit your bill nicely. It has decent water resistance level and is dressy enough so you can wear it to many occasions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd go quartz - I think a Breitling Colt Thermo-compensated Quartz would be a perfect watch for you actually. Hyper-accurate. Very rugged. Very water resistant. Good looking. I find it has the same general 'feel' as an Omega Seamaster.
Great suggestion. Especially because they make a 44 mm chronograph version. I'll have to look into this one more.

Any other ideas of watches known for their toughness? No, I'm not going to be welding with this watch. Just don't want to every have to worry about the thing.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Breitling Emergency? It can even accompany you to the middle of the ocean and you can still get help if needed.
It's a nice watch, but a waste of money if your not planning on:
a) Climbing Everest,
b) Flying over the Pacific,
c) Going wrestling with Great White sharks,
d) Going to Antarctica.

I'm joking - it's a waste of money full stop unless you are a pilot, because it monitors the 121.5Mhz Aviation Rescue frequency, that is only monitored by aircraft. And, even if you were located by an aircraft, the 121.5 locator would only be used for pinpointing you.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Great suggestion. Especially because they make a 44 mm chronograph version. I'll have to look into this one more.

Any other ideas of watches known for their toughness? No, I'm not going to be welding with this watch. Just don't want to every have to worry about the thing.
I'd take a look at Ball watches, if you haven't already. They've got some really cool watches, and, my understanding is they're pretty tough / reliable as well. I purchased one as a gift, and it really did look and feel fantastic - irrespective of its (really good) price.

BALL Watch Mechanical Timepieces: Swiss Made, American Owned

I'm partial to their models under the Fireman and Engineer II collection. Plus the tritium tubes are sweet.

Reactions: lvt

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I think the Stormchaser is a particularly nice Chronograph.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
If you're happy with quartz, like the look of the Seamaster, don't want to worry too much about damage and aren't intent on just spending £x then I would recommend a quartz Seamaster. I see no reason for quartz fans to spend more money unnecessarily on a mechanical, which is less accurate and more prone to damage.

(I'm a mechanical fan, FYI).

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
If you're happy with quartz, like the look of the Seamaster, don't want to worry too much about damage and aren't intent on just spending £x then I would recommend a quartz Seamaster. I see no reason for quartz fans to spend more money unnecessarily on a mechanical, which is less accurate and more prone to damage.

This is great advice. If I were to be in the market for a Seamaster, I would absolutely go for a quartz version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

\

I did notice that they had one. IIRC, it's a 41 mm? Seems a bit small for my liking, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The Sinn could meet your needs, and will take pretty much anything you wish to dish out. But it's a beast of a watch. It's like wearing a German tank on your wrist, which is fine if that's what you're looking for. But if you're not, it might be a bit much. I had to sell mine because it was just too much of a tool. I miss it though...terrific watch!

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Take a look at Damasko. The cases are Extremely scratch resistant and antimagnetic, the crown seals are permanently lubricated, all the case seals are chemically resistant Viton and if you spend enough money, you can even get an in-house movement with a bunch of features to extend service intervals and reliability (similar in some ways to Sinn). The only downside is that they don't offer a steel bracelet to match the case, but are reputed to be planning so shortly. While its too nice for me to wear mine out to construction sites (I have an Orient M-Force for that), it sure is a great watch for the money.

·
Registered
20,970 Posts
I think the Stormchaser is a particularly nice Chronograph.

View attachment 538685
That is a nice Ball watch, but as the OP is particularly worried about the watch's durability I would recommend an Engineer Hydrocarbon, a classic three-handed watch with better shock and magnetic resistance.

If money is not the problem he might also want to look at higher-end watches like Rolex Explorer or IWC Ingenieur.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Take a look at Damasko. The cases are Extremely scratch resistant and antimagnetic, the crown seals are permanently lubricated, all the case seals are chemically resistant Viton and if you spend enough money, you can even get an in-house movement with a bunch of features to extend service intervals and reliability (similar in some ways to Sinn). The only downside is that they don't offer a steel bracelet to match the case, but are reputed to be planning so shortly. While its too nice for me to wear mine out to construction sites (I have an Orient M-Force for that), it sure is a great watch for the money.
A couple pics for reference
Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Any other super durable "nice" watches I should keep a look out for?

FWIW, I haven't seen the PO or Colt in person yet but I'll be on the lookout for them in the future. Fave of what has been discussed so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts