WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, little back story. I changed careers a few years ago and became a letter carrier for the USPS.

As a watch lover I’d like to find a good quality wristwatch that I enjoy wearing and brings a little personal satisfaction to my daily grind.

Lately I’ve been averaging around 22,000 steps per day, but I’ve reached up to 32,000 in a shift. My day consists of jamming my hand in and out of rusty mailboxes, stuffing oversized janitor supply catalogs though tiny door slots and delivering hundreds of packages all while juggling supermarket advertisements... haha

So what I’m after is something 38-40mm in size, for comfort, with a handwind movement, personal preference, and no nonsense classic looks. I’d also like it to have a sapphire crystal and be able to take a beating for years to come.

The obvious choice, in my opinion, would be the Hamilton Khaki mechanical but I figured I’d ask here for some alternatives.

Budget would be $300 max but much prefer something less expensive. At this point I’m thinking maybe I’ll look for a used khaki with some dings and scratches since I’ll be added them as well in no time.

Side question, would I be better off with brushed or Matt finish metal or would black coating be equally durable?

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Cheap, robust, classic style and size.

Loreo Submariner
IMG_20200620_101907078~2_1592665496487.jpg

Rolex sub proportions (40mm case, 48L2L)
Sapphire glass
Automatic Sea-Gull ST16 (with hacking and hand winding) movement
316L stainless steel case and bracelet
20mm lug width

Infinite possibilities for ~$50

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

Loreo Submariner

Sapphire glass
20mm lug width

The OP has asked for a hand wind field watch and you post an automatic dive watch :roll:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
MWC offered the G10 in a hand wound configuration, sold out but can be found on eBay. I know nothing about the quality of these watches but they seem to fit your specs.

If you have to have a mechanical movement then you will be hard pressed to do better than the Hamilton for the money. If you can deal with an automatic then you have a few more options and quartz opens up even more. Good luck.

2AE9FA03-0033-4178-A413-4A1A3552AC72.jpeg

·
Registered
409 Posts

Loreo Submariner

Sapphire glass
20mm lug width

The OP has asked for a hand wind field watch and you post an automatic dive watch
Actually he asked for "field-military-work watch"

I'd argue a dive watch is a military watch as well as a work watch.

I read the OPs post that he wants a watch that he can have a mechanical interaction with. (aka winding it, which the ST16 has about a 36-40hr per reserve, so from Saturday to Monday he might have to wind the watch to keep it going)

Also he makes it sound like he wants a watch that can take a beating and not worry about. So anything sapphire and cheap are pretty good suggestions in my book.

The OP also asked for classic, timeless looks. What watch in the last 70 years has had a more classic and timeless look the the Rolex Sub?

Further more, the previously suggested Bolder venture is powered by a Seiko nh35.....last I checked that's automatic as well..

I stand by my suggestion.

If you don't have anything positive to bring to a thread, why even post?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Bertucci 1.jpeg This is a tough one. Looking at the work the OP is doing Casio/GShock type watch. I would hate to put anything on that will doing the work described. I have beaten the living piss out of autos over the years, but this looks like the work for a quartz. If not a Casio, I recommend a Bertucci. If you destroy it, which will probably not happen you will not be out much. Cheers

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I think you need quartz for that kind of work. Vaer Watch might work for you.

https://www.vaerwatches.com/collections/c5-custom-built-usa-quartz/products/c5-field-black-usa-quartz-quick-release

Or, if ignoring the field watch part, you go for a diver, I'd suggest a Scurfa Diver One.

https://www.scurfawatches.com/product/diver-one-d1-500-gloss-black/

Forgot to add, it is over your budget, but looks like a tough watch.

Winfield Mission Timer

https://winfieldwatch.com/products/mt1

This one is definitely over your budget but worth it, IMO. Titanium, Eco Drive, good lume and tough.

https://us.dcleake.com/Watches/Citizen/Citizen-Mens-Promaster-Tough-Eco-Drive-Sapphire-Black-Dial-Titanium-Bracelet-Watch-BN0118-55E.html

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting suggestions 🙂

Do you guys think the Hamilton mechanical Khaki Is a bad idea? As in I’m going to break it?

I like that Marathon above, but 16mm lug width?

Maybe an analogue quartz but Casio’s and digital watches do nothing for me, at that point I can just dig my phone out to tell the time, honestly the time is on my scanner that I carry around, Iol

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hey guys, little back story. I changed careers a few years ago and became a letter carrier for the USPS.

As a watch lover I’d like to find a good quality wristwatch that I enjoy wearing and brings a little personal satisfaction to my daily grind.

Lately I’ve been averaging around 22,000 steps per day, but I’ve reached up to 32,000 in a shift. My day consists of jamming my hand in and out of rusty mailboxes, stuffing oversized janitor supply catalogs though tiny door slots and delivering hundreds of packages all while juggling supermarket advertisements... haha

So what I’m after is something 38-40mm in size, for comfort, with a handwind movement, personal preference, and no nonsense classic looks. I’d also like it to have a sapphire crystal and be able to take a beating for years to come.

The obvious choice, in my opinion, would be the Hamilton Khaki mechanical but I figured I’d ask here for some alternatives.

Budget would be $300 max but much prefer something less expensive. At this point I’m thinking maybe I’ll look for a used khaki with some dings and scratches since I’ll be added them as well in no time.

Side question, would I be better off with brushed or Matt finish metal or would black coating be equally durable?

Thanks
Interesting suggestions 🙂

Do you guys think the Hamilton mechanical Khaki Is a bad idea? As in I’m going to break it?

I like that Marathon above, but 16mm lug width?

Maybe an analogue quartz but Casio’s and digital watches do nothing for me, at that point I can just dig my phone out to tell the time, honestly the time is on my scanner that I carry around, Iol

I think the Hamilton Mechanical Khaki is an excellent choice - certainly in terms of all the criteria you list in terms of size, handwind and no nonsense classic looks. I love mine.

2019-09-29 07.42.41.jpg

2019-04-22 06.20.02.jpg

In terms of taking a beating? Its not a tough watch compared with others - its light weight and slim - very comfortable on the wrist. The bead blasted case means that scratches are kept at bay but once you do scratch it - it cannot be buffed or polished out like you could do with a brushed or polished case.

Black coatings like PVD etc are not for me as it seems (from posts Ive read) that once they do get scratched and dinged the marks really do show up but its all personal preference.

If toughness is your main criteria maybe you should ditch the handwind and go for a quartz like the Citizen BN0118-55e

2018-08-19 06.56.07.jpg

2018-09-02 06.54.42.jpg

This is more of a "tough" watch - its Titanium with Citizens hardening process which should keep the scratches and dings away - 200m water resistance and sapphire. It also has a screwed down crown and crown guards for when you are reaching into those rusty mailboxes ;-). It still has classic looks although with a more modern slant.

I would say that you are less likely to break this than the Hamilton.

Reactions: Tanjecterly

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Pretty much your choice is the Hamilton KFM, but personally I'd be looking at a Heimdallr pilot watch, IWC Mark XI homage, available onEbay, AliX, and elsewhere. Not quite as svelte as the Hamilton, but less than half the price, and even though it uses a Seiko automatic movement, you can hand wind it if you want.

shark-pilot-watch_1592766909051.jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think the Hamilton Mechanical Khaki is an excellent choice - certainly in terms of all the criteria you list in terms of size, handwind and no nonsense classic looks. I love mine.

View attachment 15233617

View attachment 15233623

In terms of taking a beating? Its not a tough watch compared with others - its light weight and slim - very comfortable on the wrist. The bead blasted case means that scratches are kept at bay but once you do scratch it - it cannot be buffed or polished out like you could do with a brushed or polished case.

Black coatings like PVD etc are not for me as it seems (from posts Ive read) that once they do get scratched and dinged the marks really do show up but its all personal preference.

If toughness is your main criteria maybe you should ditch the handwind and go for a quartz like the Citizen BN0118-55e

View attachment 15233645

View attachment 15233663

This is more of a "tough" watch - its Titanium with Citizens hardening process which should keep the scratches and dings away - 200m water resistance and sapphire. It also has a screwed down crown and crown guards for when you are reaching into those rusty mailboxes ;-). It still has classic looks although with a more modern slant.

I would say that you are less likely to break this than the Hamilton.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Citizen. I have a Royal Marines and gifted a couple BM6400s. Love them and they are tough as nails.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE
just left Macy’s and I think I saved myself some money because the mechanical field watch wore too small on my 7 3/8th wrist.

I could get used to it but I think 40mm is my sweet spot 🙂

I’m open to more Quartz suggestions I just don’t want to buy anything with a mineral crystal

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I agree with your first choice - the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical. It’s very slim and easy to wear, nice slightly domed sapphire. I’ve owned one and it’s the best field watch under $400, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bertucci Is interesting, I didn’t realize they offered 40mm cases and sapphire crystals. My only experience with them is seeing tiny plastic models at my local army surplus store

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
... Do you guys think the Hamilton mechanical Khaki Is a bad idea? As in I’m going to break it?
Nothing wrong with the Hamilton nothing at all ... however the price point & waiting for the right sales post will probably take a while ...
Bertucci offers certified pre-owned watches at a great price (I've gotten four that way) look here ... you can also get there from the main URL here ...

This watch (#12700CC) is now $72.00 which was $160.00 just means it has "wabi" already on it & has gone through QC twice ...
they can add the sapphire crystal but you don't really need it ... upgrade to the sapphire when you send it in for a battery change.

You can then keep an eye out on watchrecon for a Khaki if you want & can wait for the right one ...
So easy just email them (Enzo rocks) they'll send an invoice ... the A2T just the right size and it's titanium & lithium ... heck why am I telling you about it ...

01a2t.jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
He has a 73/8" wrist may need to see if he can get the Bertucci 44mm case AT-4 pilot watch.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts