WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a automatic guy. But would like a go to diver that I don't need to set. I love my auto's, but don't have a winder and need to set my watch because of wear rotation. Most of the time I don't mind that, but there are times...

Want a diver. $200 or under. DO NOT want a standard battery quartz.
So far looking at Seiko SCC line:
scc017, 021, 031

What else should I be looking at? I HAVE read the big thread on Seiko BFK, but kinda leaning toward a solar.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
38,991 Posts
The Citizen Eco-Drive line should meet your needs. Lots to choose from.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Citizen BN0150. Eco drive, black dial, 42mm case, 48mm lug-to-lug. BN0151 for a blue dial.
or
Scurfa diver watch. Swiss Ronda quartz, 40mm. See Scurfa thread in this dive watch forum.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
Citizen Eco-Drive can't be beat IMHO -- lots of choices new & pre-owned. The Citizen BN0000-4H mentioned is great as is the Citizen BN0151-09L which also comes in a black dial on bracelet

I would also entertain the Scurfa brand, though it is quartz w/battery

Happy Hunting...

RD

·
Registered
516 Posts
Another vote for the BN-0000 4H. Smallish, but features a monocoque case, and a 300 meter WR...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I would really like a solar or Eco, but now that I start looking at all the sub $200 divers, there is just something about the Seiko 007.

Hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
Submariner
833 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I would really like a solar or Eco, but now that I start looking at all the sub $200 divers, there is just something about the Seiko 007.

Hmmmmmm...
Go with the SKX007 - you won't be disappointed. It's one of the best value watches out there; amazing lume, ISO certified, extremely durable movement, protected lume pip, and the white indices look great in contrast to the black dial.

Reactions: Aquifer_Pro

·
Premium Member
73,749 Posts
The BFK is very nice but if you've got a hankering for solar the SSC017 is pretty fantastic even though the Seiko 3 hander solar divers are nice too.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
there is just something about the Seiko 007
Well, since your showing a slight willingness to deviate from your solar query, perhaps you might also be willing to slightly deviate from your budget.

For another $80 from the top of your budget you get a Citizen Promaster BN0101-58E from Seiya for $274, it’s solar powered and comes with all you see.
OR
An Obris Morgan Explorer ll for $279, comes with the very reliable automatic Miyota 9015 movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Stick with your solar idea, lots of cool solar divers to choose from and convenience is optimal. BFK is inferior tech (owned one, sold one). You can always get a 007/009 but there's something to be said for grab-and-go.

And the ultimate affordable solar diver, above your range but usually about $300 pre-owned, the Citizen Signature Perpetual Calendar:

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Stick with your solar idea, lots of cool solar divers to choose from and convenience is optimal. BFK is inferior tech (owned one, sold one). You can always get a 007/009 but there's something to be said for grab-and-go.
"BFK is inferior tech"............Really?

Sorry my friend but stating your opinion as Fact leaves something to be desired. I have no problem at all with any of the watches you recommended and have several solar Citizens myself including the Citizen Signature Perpetual Calendar. My BFK is a keeper and I wear it often, as in anytime I go out for exercise. It stays fully charged at 6 months plus mine is quite accurate. As has been attested to in multiple threads, it is quite "bomb proof" and makes a great grab and go watch. The misguided advice often seen related to the old kinetic technology does not apply to the BFK or the newer kinetics that have Lithium oxide batteries as opposed to the capacitors of old.

Just saying.
:)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Be well,

AZ

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hello all, I'm a automatic guy. But would like a go to diver that I don't need to set.
SSC015 for sure. I last set it to the USNO clock on June 12 when I returned from Europe. Today it's running +3.

Cheers,
Richard....

Analog watch Wrist Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

Sorry my friend but stating your opinion as Fact leaves something to be desired. I have no problem at all with any of the watches you recommended and have several solar Citizens myself including the Citizen Signature Perpetual Calendar. My BFK is a keeper and I wear it often, as in anytime I go out for exercise. It stays fully charged at 6 months plus mine is quite accurate. As has been attested to in multiple threads, it is quite "bomb proof" and makes a great grab and go watch. The misguided advice often seen related to the old kinetic technology does not apply to the BFK or the newer kinetics that have Lithium oxide batteries as opposed to the capacitors of old.

Just saying.

View attachment 5263946

Be well,

AZ
It's nothing personal. I bought the BFK because I liked it, too.

If you're able to point out a functional advantage of kinetic over solar, my opinion may even change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Just saying.

View attachment 5263946

Be well,

AZ
Please guys, let's not go down that road again. I read every one of the post from the BFK loooong thread. I appreciate all the suggestions, but really do not care to hear all the same back and forth between what seems to be a couple of outstanding watches.

Please respect my thread while I put the flames to rest.

I got into watches because of autos. Just thought they where cool. So all of my collection are autos. I have a few older smaller Quartz watches that are dead and will stay that way because I HATE the fact that I need to replace the battery.

I started this thread because I THINK I want a go to watch (see first post). But once I started looking and comparing I realize the 007 calls to me more than most I am looking at. (Although daschlag is making me think once again...WHAT is the black with red Seiko?? Very striking!).

i have looked at the BFK and to be honest, don't really care for the hands. Just does not look right to me. I look at the 007 and it just SCREAMS classic (to me). I buy watches for enjoyment and personal style. I could REALLY care less that the thing on my wrist can go 100 meters deeper in water I will never see than the thing on someone else's wrist. Really, come on, just not a good Argument for about 90+% of us.

i like quality, but my view of quality may be different than others. I see a lot of people raving about the value and quality of the Orient Mako, but while I like mine ( mainly for the yellow face) I think it looks like a toy compared to my orange monster or even some of my other Orients. Just me.

so please keep throwing out suggestions. I most likely will not go above the $200 mark (much) ;) but distinctive will ALWAYS catch my eye black and red Seiko...put that baby on a black strap with just a hint of red stitch or stipe, DAMN.

daschlag you better reply...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts