WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am searching for a watch for my husband to use at work. I've gotten lost in the sea of specs and google search.

I'm looking for a watch that has a decently loud alarm, perhaps with a vibration. It also needs a countdown timer that he can easily reset. He needs to perform checks every 15 minutes and I'd like to get him a watch that he can easily hear/feel the 0 countdown and he can easily stop reset and restart without having to go in and reset the 15 minutes each time.

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I second the GD-350, it comes in a few colors, these are the more common ones:

Not 100% sure on the current value, but this will give you a rough idea:

About $85 at JC Penny, can probably be found cheaper on ebay.

(about $15 Cheaper on amazon if you don't care about world domination, etc)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any watch with a multiband 6 or Bluetooth time sync so he can give them the correct time every time.. :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
you couldn't go wrong with a basic dw5600e, very affordable and as durable as any g on the market, I replaced the resin bezel and strap with aftermarket steel bezel and bracelet.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hmmm. I just watched this tutoril on the GD350:

Unfortunately the quick start countdown timer (from home screen) can't be paused and reset from the home screen, so you still have to go into countdown timer mode to do that. I don't think this is a deal breaker necessarily because in countdown mode, you still can see home time and easily pause and reset the timer.
Not too many G-shocks have a vibrate alarm, so this is still a top contender if that is an essential feature for your husband.

I don't know if it has an auto-repeat function for the timer to restart immediately when it reaches zero.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
I don't know if it has an auto-repeat function for the timer to restart immediately when it reaches zero.
It does not have auto repeat. You have to start it again manually from the main timekeeping screen or from the timer mode.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I have the Apple Watch Series 4 and the reminder vibration is terrific. From the criteria you presented I think this fits the bill well.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I have the Apple Watch Series 4 and the reminder vibration is terrific. From the criteria you presented I think this fits the bill well.
Well...durability aside, I doubt a correctional officer can use his smartphones all the time during the day. Without connecting to the phone, the Apple Watch is not much better function wise to a G, especially for basic functions. Not to mention the durability and battery life.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another suggestion is anything for the Marathon line up if your budget can go that direction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well...durability aside, I doubt a correctional officer can use his smartphones all the time during the day. Without connecting to the phone, the Apple Watch is not much better function wise to a G, especially for basic functions. Not to mention the durability and battery life.
Yes. In my experience, cell phones are not permitted into the secure perimeter. G-Shocks are the best to handle what ever liquid or solid you run into during rounds or on the yard. Apple Watch probably too fragile when unexpected stuff starts to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
A G-9000 would be an option, light, low profile, cheap in case of replacement (don't know how rough it can be at the workplace) and an auto repeat timer with audio signal at T-30 and T-10 to 0 counting down, optional flashing dial too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
normally id say gd-350. but then i had it for some weeks, the vibe is terrible weak unless u nail it tight to the forearm. makes no real sense. same with the gbd-100.
maybe the gbd-h1000 has a stronger vibe? i doubt honestly. but sure worth a try.
there is some other casio, forgot the model number. simple version, big watch. this might fit, the vibe is said to be stronger.

so...all in all: garmin instinct !

·
Registered
874 Posts
What Vibrates There? a great writeup by Sedi, compares some common vibe alarm watches.

I don't think the G-7500 is still available, and the cushion shaped case is an acquired taste (but not by me). I do have the Timex 49851, and it does have a pretty strong vibration, as well as autorepeat on the CDT.

The Casio W-735 (and the updated versions: W-736 and TRT-110H) have only one 10 second alarm, but they pulse, and are very noticeable on the wrist. I find it about the same as the Timex, but most will disagree, and rate the Timex vibe stronger. It's Casio's pulsing that works for me - the Timex is more of a steady buzz. The W-735 is my current wear favourite; it's just so useful. Keeps amazingly good time too.

One advantage the Timex has is a Combo Alert: you can set it to vibrate, and if that is missed or ignored, then an audible alarm sounds. And it is super loud, almost offensive. Which can be an advantage.

I don't have a GD-350 to compare, but I do have a GB-6900, which is a vibrating G-Shock, and it has the strongest vibe of all. Might be hard to find, and not inexpensive. Also, if you can find an STB-1000, it also has a strong vibe, about the same as the W-735. These last two are Bluetooth enabled, so that might take them off the consideration list.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts