WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My watch collection currently consists of 8 black, 5 blue, 5 white/cream, and 1 orange dial. I think I need green or grey. Slim pickings though, from what I can find so I am opening up to suggestions. Here are my requirements

• size sweet spot is 40mm. I have worn down to 38 and up to 44 depending on the watch but greatly prefer the 40mm size.
  • Grey not silver. Green would need to be dark, no bright lime greens
  • auto or quartz, doesn't matter
  • bracelet preferred but not required
  • prefer no chronos but would do a very clean dial chrono
  • Diver is OK but divers dominate my collection so something else would be great
  • Seiko also has a strong presence so alternate brands would be appreciated
  • budget is $400ish and I dont mind used

Some examples that I like and are already on my list. Some good watches but none are hitting me like "boom, yeah!".

Seiko Alpinist (but I have Seikos)
de41f30740c964024a2b18d1b77a2009.jpg

Certina DS Poduim grey (very similar to my hamilton IMO)
certina-ds-podium-automatic-grey-dial-stainless-steel-men_s-watch-c001.407.11.087.00.jpg

Scurfa Bell Diver (no bracelet)
P1210565_copy.jpg

Deep Blue Nato (no bracelet and kinda big)
nato-diver-300-automatic-ss-diver-grey-8.gif

Certina DS1 Titanuim (pricey)
certina-C006.407.44.081.00_LRG.jpg

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alpinist is fantastic, but make sure you have a good 20mm strap to swap the original with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have read the original is pretty much garbage. A tempting choice is to hunt good second hand prices and possibly score a Deep Blue AND an Alpinist. But I have a SARB033 and an SKX007, which the Deep Blue has a strong resemblance too. the new territory of the Scurfa or Certina brand is very intriguing. I have never had either. Oh and the Baltic Shield is a possibility too, just tough to find the grey.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I cannot resist making this somewhat snarky suggestion: search on Timex Expedition green. Well below $100, all are quartz. I wear one most weekends, with a stainless bracelet I got for it.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot resist making this somewhat snarky suggestion: search on Timex Expedition green. Well below $100, all are quartz. I wear one most weekends, with a stainless bracelet I got for it.

I have a Timex Expedition Scout in blue and a Timex Expedition Metal Field that get their share of wear. Good watches for sure but not what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hamilton Khaki field mechanical. Comes on a leatherbacked canvas strap but you can order the bracelet for that model from Hamilton. It's 38 millimeters but actually wears larger, I have a 7.5 inch wrist and it does not look small to me. It is a hand winder and it also has drilled lugs which makes it convenient for switching straps quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a diver, sub homage at that... But what about the Steinhart OVM2?

That one comes and goes from my list. I generally dont like such direct homages but I will NEVER be able to afford the original so that one bothers me a little less. I love the looks and have read the quality is definitely there. The other thing missing from my collection is a GMT and I have also considered the Ocean Vintage GMT.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hamilton Khaki field mechanical. Comes on a leatherbacked canvas strap but you can order the bracelet for that model from Hamilton. It's 38 millimeters but actually wears larger, I have a 7.5 inch wrist and it does not look small to me. It is a hand winder and it also has drilled lugs which makes it convenient for switching straps quickly.
very nice watch but I have a black hamilton field auto now. It does wear larger. I ordered the 42mm and should have gone with the 38. Still love it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That one comes and goes from my list. I generally dont like such direct homages but I will NEVER be able to afford the original so that one bothers me a little less. I love the looks and have read the quality is definitely there. The other thing missing from my collection is a GMT and I have also considered the Ocean Vintage GMT.
I'm literally so far from ever owning a Rolex, that the homage factor doesn't bother me one bit. Couple that with very very very few original 5517's being built anyway and this starts making even more sense.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm literally so far from ever owning a Rolex, that the homage factor doesn't bother me one bit. Couple that with very very very few original 5517's being built anyway and this starts making even more sense.

My logic precisely.

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
On the green side, what about something vintage? I used to own a couple of Soviet-era Vostok Amphibians. Sure they're divers, but they're very different from the standard divers most folks have.

These prices are certainly on the high side, but Amil (who's a forum member here, selling with his wife/partner as asap31 on ebay) may be willing to negotiate.
vostok. wostok, vostok. восток 848 | eBay

wostok vostok amphibian wostok 3561 | eBay

wostok. wostok, vostok. восток 337 | eBay

wostok. wostok, vostok. восток 29 | eBay

1 - 20 of 49 Posts