WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Wow Michael that's an ugly scratch! Looks like the dragon skin failed you there. If that happened to DLC than I would hate to see the same results on SS or plain Ti! From your pics it looks very magnified so hopefully its much smaller to the human eye. Thanks for the pics and be careful next time:)
Yeah, it looks far worse on the photos than it does in person.

As for being more careful - thanks. I can try. But I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when this happened ;-) That was the whole point of my post. While I certainly believe DLC is more durable than plain vanilla titanium - it's no magic bullet. I'm sure it will hold up to life better than many other watches. But eventually - scratches will catch up even with DLC. I guess in my case that 'eventually' came particularly quickly...

Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is the non digital Citizen DLC watch in the upper left corner in the pic of 4 watches?

Thanks

I scratched up my Citizen Skyhawk professional the other day to prove that it is 99.999 percent scratch-proof to just about everything except for a diamond of course. DLC stands for diamond like carbon. So here are the photos of my keyed watch. Don't try this on non-DLC watches!

The keys are bronze and steel.

My DLC collection

From wikipedia: The hardest, strongest, and slickest is such a mixture, known as tetrahedral amorphous carbon, or ta-C. For example a coating of only 2μm thickness of ta-C increases the resistance of common (ie. type 304) stainless steel against abrasive wear; changing its lifetime in such service from one week to 85 years. :p

The link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

21 - 22 of 22 Posts