WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for a couple of months and after countless searches I'm still at square one! I'm jousting getting into this hobby and I'm looking for my first automatic. I prefer larger watches 40-44mm. I'm not set on a certain style per say as long as I can see the movement and the dial is simple (I already own a citizen Eco drive chronograph). I'd like to stay under 500. It's been asked a lot but could someone help a new guy out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Abandon all hope ye who enter here...

Anyway, I am sure you will get quite a bit of Seiko and Orient suggestions. Both are great brands to check out in this price range. I am going to suggest a brand that is somewhat divisive around here... Invicta. Check out the Invicta 9937. It is a Rolex submariner homage with a genuine Swiss movement. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Like the guy said. Seiko and Orient are major players in "your" market segment.
If you look at Seiko, I would suggest going for the 'R' series movements. They have some desirable features over the 'S' series.

With regards to the Invicta, the brand gets a lot of stick around here, but the Stellita movement in some of their models (not all) is very hard to argue with.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forum! For less than $500 you could nab a Tissot, a Seiko SARB, or even get close to a grey market Hamilton Jazzmaster ($550ish). But if you have to be around $300-$400, you are probably looking at Orient (some Orient Star), Seiko (some SARB), Sea-Gull, or Beijing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Zeno Watch Basel make some very nice Fliegers (I have one myself) in your price range, $500ish . Very reliable with Eta movements, semi domed saphire crystals and probably not that common in your area I think, more so here in Europe. Having something a bit different counts for a lot I think too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Any one of the new Seiko Monsters, choice your flavor ;-)
monster-comp.jpg

As was mentioned before, these new Seiko models come with the "4R36" movement which has hand-wind and second-hand-halt/hacking features.
A lot of watch for $200, and pretty big size too right at ~44mm.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There's a great deal for a Tissot prs516 on eBay brand new for $360 free shipping, I know cause I just bought one.

·
Registered
829 Posts
They have some desirable features over the 'S' series.
Assuming that's a question, the additional features are a hand-wind mechanism and seconds hack. I would hope accuracy is slightly improved, but in my experience the 'S' series is pretty accurate to begin with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm liking the suggestions so far. Is it even realistic to try to have a sapphire crystal? I'm pretty tough on my watches' crystal. It seems that if I look at it the wrong way I can scratch it. I'm also a fan of the domed crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sapphire is pushing it on that budget for a new watch.

If you're tough on your watches, sapphire may not be the best choice. Sapphire is brittle and will shatter under (presumably heavy or sharp) impact. Also, if it scratches, it stays scratched. It's still a great material, don't get me wrong.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is Acrylic. Acrylic is easier to scratch (albeit not *easy*) but polishes out with Polywatch according to others (I don't have personal experience of this). Brands such as Tag Heuer use acrylic.

A good alternative to these is Hardlex. This is a proprietary compound developed by Seiko which is significantly tougher than anything except sapphire, but can flex (so no shattering).

I am personally a very big fan of the Seiko White Stargate (first auto and wearing it daly). Picked it up from Mr. watch for £175 + shipping a few months ago (whatever that is in dollars, but I think it fits bang on budget)

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
Both domed and sapphire I believe not possible at that price. But sapphire no problem - eg the $120 Rodina automatic has it.

EDIT - WHAT UTTER RUBBISH I'VE WRITTEN HERE

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Im pushing this one as I believe it has excellent VFM

NP4020-51A

Sapphire crystal
mineral crystal display back
WR 100m
42 mm diameter 45 with crown
$250!

One negative is that only the hands have lume

2013-12-31 08.49.15.jpg
2013-12-27 17.07.17.jpg
2013-12-24 13.33.40.jpg

Reactions: T1ck

·
Registered
20,568 Posts
If you want a brand new watch for ~$300 you can't go wrong with Seiko or Citizens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts