WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First of all, this is my first post in this community, i must admit i liked this place very much. There is a lot of people here willing to help each other.

I have a question about choosing a watch. i have up to 2000$ budged. Im looking for over 45 mm and automatic movement watches. Also looking mostly sporty or casual dress watches. i kinda find straps better instead of bracelets, i think they look more casual and sporty to me :roll: . This is going to my first serious watch so im pretty exited. I hope i told you guys enough information. If not i can answer any questions.

i also wonder would it be a better start to get used watches? I like the grand carrera style but its way over my budget. I guess even used ones are way over my budget. :)

Anyways, i hope i had a chance to explain my thoughts for what im looking for.

Every comment every suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Get a pre-owned Ebel Le Modulor ... Omega PO and Breitling SOH are great choices for pre-owned watches as well!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For your first serious watch I would recommend something Swiss Made, just because it has more cache (Ball, Oris, Longines, Hamilton could work). But if you're willing to get something Japanese, the Seiko Ananta automatics could work:

I'm pretty sure both of these can be had under your budget and they do represent great value. They are big watches at 46mm (fits your requirement), and the workmanship on the Ananta case is pretty exquisite and unique. Here's a picture of my spring drive model (same case/strap) that shows off the case a little better than the stock Seiko pictures:

I think the best thing to do is to go out and check out watches within your budget to see what appeals to you. Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@HomerJ - I liked the Ball aviator... Looks like one of my future style watch. Although i cant find any price on amazon for ball. (any kind of ball)

@GX9901 - that seiko has an amazing look but i think i am too obsessed with Swiss movements and brands even knowing that Japanese brands making good quality watches

So far i liked Omega PO and Ball aviator 46mm... IWC has good watches too but very expensive.

about elitedealseeker.com , is there any thread that tell you how to buy a pre-owned watches?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
If you like chronographs, you can get a quality NOS (new old stock) or pre-owned Ebel cal. 137, or a Zenith El Primero (if you're really lucky) for under $2000. If you're a fan of the "diver" style look for pre-owned Zenith de Lucas.

Ball, Mido, Oris, Muhle and Nomos (in-house movements, but dressy) are all nice choices for under $2000 ...

Should probably also add Sinn, Guinand, Tutima, Fortis and Damasko to that list.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Welcome to wus mate. Have you considered a tag aquaracer auto, @44mm & auto with a cool case design and @ 300m water resistance. The breitling suggested by my good mate lemaniaco is an outstanding opt as breitling pieces are built like tanks and very water resistant.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Welcome.

Easy answer is to get am Omega PO and that would be a great watch. Part of the fun for many, is the search itself.

I might suggest taking a look at establishes but less know brands also. Others can chime in, but a few I am partial to are:

Sinn
Stowa
Longines
Hamilton

and others you will see around here. Welcome to WUS and best wishes on your quest.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ditto. For 2k you can find a mint used 45.5 PO. buy it from one of the forums, and from someone who has references. Talk to them on the phone, etc. I've had great luck buying used watches this way. The Planet Ocean is a wonderful watch, comparable to much more expensive watches. You can buy an IWC Mark XVI for 2k as well, but only on a strap. They're a lot smaller, at 39mm. I have both and if I had to sell one, the Mark would go... Zenith is going to be my next watch, but like many others, I'm a little hesitant about after service repair, parts, etc. But that El Primero is a beauty!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
If you like dive watches, check out UTS.

·
Registered
739 Posts
@HomerJ - I liked the Ball aviator... Looks like one of my future style watch. Although i cant find any price on amazon for ball. (any kind of ball)

@GX9901 - that seiko has an amazing look but i think i am too obsessed with Swiss movements and brands even knowing that Japanese brands making good quality watches

So far i liked Omega PO and Ball aviator 46mm... IWC has good watches too but very expensive.

about elitedealseeker.com , is there any thread that tell you how to buy a pre-owned watches?

Some dealers will quote the Ball MSRP online. Check with the forum AD -- I'm sure they can hook you up.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Get preowned. I already got many in mind for you;

Omega PO 45.5
Oris Meistertaucher
Breitling Superocean XL
Tag Aquaracer 500M
Tag Grand Carrera chrono (there was one on the other forum that just sold for $2250)
Sinn U2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
First of all, thank you very much for helpful and informative comments, suggestions.

If you like chronographs, you can get a quality NOS (new old stock) or pre-owned Ebel cal. 137, or a Zenith El Primero (if you're really lucky) for under $2000. If you're a fan of the "diver" style look for pre-owned Zenith de Lucas.

Ball, Mido, Oris, Muhle and Nomos (in-house movements, but dressy) are all nice choices for under $2000 ...

Should probably also add Sinn, Guinand, Tutima, Fortis and Damasko to that list.
Zenith El Primero is an amazingly beautiful watch. As you said, i guess i have to be very lucky to have watch like used El-Primero at this budget. I also checked the brands you told me about. Ball Aviator and Oris Hunter im considering right now.

Welcome to wus mate. Have you considered a tag aquaracer auto, @44mm & auto with a cool case design and @ 300m water resistance. The breitling suggested by my good mate lemaniaco is an outstanding opt as breitling pieces are built like tanks and very water resistant.
Thanks for welcoming m8, Yes i considered a tag aquaracer auto. However i checked edox day time class-1. I found edox more good looking watch and its 45mm.

Welcome.

Easy answer is to get am Omega PO and that would be a great watch. Part of the fun for many, is the search itself.

I might suggest taking a look at establishes but less know brands also. Others can chime in, but a few I am partial to are:

Sinn
Stowa
Longines
Hamilton

and others you will see around here. Welcome to WUS and best wishes on your quest.
Yes, right now i am searching on Omega PO. I coudnt find any used PO.. The ones i find are always without papers o|. Looks like going to be fun searching an Authentic one.

Ditto. For 2k you can find a mint used 45.5 PO. buy it from one of the forums, and from someone who has references. Talk to them on the phone, etc. I've had great luck buying used watches this way. The Planet Ocean is a wonderful watch, comparable to much more expensive watches. You can buy an IWC Mark XVI for 2k as well, but only on a strap. They're a lot smaller, at 39mm. I have both and if I had to sell one, the Mark would go... Zenith is going to be my next watch, but like many others, I'm a little hesitant about after service repair, parts, etc. But that El Primero is a beauty!
Yes El-Primero is a beauty. I hope you find a nice Zenith my friend... Its always better to buy a new one but why not if you find a nice clean one :) How can i see who has more references and who has not?

If you like dive watches, check out UTS.
I more like the pilot styles accually. I like some dives too but they are all out of my budget.

Some dealers will quote the Ball MSRP online. Check with the forum AD -- I'm sure they can hook you up.
Is there any link for that? I couldnt understand what you mean accually :p The ones above forum?

Get preowned. I already got many in mind for you;

Omega PO 45.5
Oris Meistertaucher
Breitling Superocean XL
Tag Aquaracer 500M
Tag Grand Carrera chrono (there was one on the other forum that just sold for $2250)
Sinn U2
Tag Grand Carrera chrone one of my top choices. Its under 45mm but it looks so good :) Thanks for suggestions mate.

-

I also want to ask 2 more questions. I found Edox Day and Time class-1 for 1350 CAD. Is this a good price? the second question is, i kinda started to like Pilot watches. Do you guys find it sporty like me? Or is it only me :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts