WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a new watch purchase to go with my Chr.Ward C60 Trident.
I absolutely love the look on the vintage omega's, specifically this 1954 one.
5617034773_35e0aef118.jpg
I am not sure about buying Vintage because i hear that they are expensive to service and i would have no idea how much life is left in it.
I am looking to spend around $800 -$900 max.
In case you are thinking about the Stowa Antea, you must know that i really dislike the watch, it does nothing for me but thank you anyway.
Thanks a lot for any replies.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I would seriously look into getting the genuine article. My best friend has a vintage Omega and it is phenomenal.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
I would seriously look into getting the genuine article. My best friend has a vintage Omega and it is phenomenal.
Second that. And the cost of servicing an older handwind wristwatch should be about the same as new. However if new retro styling with a subseconds display is what is wanted then Nomos is the best choice.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've got a piece similar to that one - It's beautiful. I suggest you go into research mode for the next few weeks and start stalking a good specimen.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
My '53 Omega bumper runs fine, should forever also. Last service was around 300, 6 years ago. Same as an ETA service.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
For me it's size that's always kept me away from vintage watches. 34mm looks ridiculous on me.

But, if you want a dressy piece with a subseconds at 6 o'clock, Hamilton makes something like that in their Jazzmaster line. Slim Auto Petite Seconde. Only issue is that it's 43mm, which is a bit big for a dressy piece. The quartz model is 40mm, and I think a better bet as a dressy watch than the 43mm auto. I like a bigger watch now and again (I normally wear 42mm, but today I'm wearing 45mm), but 43mm is a touch too big for the style of the watch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would go for an Oversize Omega from the 50's.. case around 38 mm. Those movements are way much durable then modern ones and service costs the same. IMO of course...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for replying. I will now try to read every page on vintage omegas i can find. I suppose i should have done more research before making this thread so sorry for wasting your time :-(

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thanks everyone for replying. I will now try to read every page on vintage omegas i can find. I suppose i should have done more research before making this thread so sorry for wasting your time :-(

You're asking people to talk about watches. That's what we do around here. How is that wasting anyone's time? :-d

-hayday

Reactions: ckot

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
Also consider a somewhat newer Omega Geneve with the well thought of 601 handwind movement. It has center seconds but that to me is a plus over sub seconds. Many nice examples from tbe 60's abd 70's.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,804 Posts
... sorry for wasting your time :-(
Dude, we're here to waste time! ;)

My dad's Omega would be around 500-700 or so, and it works great despite being almost 50 years old. It's got a central seconds hand instead of a small 6 o'clock one, but besides that, it'll just give an idea of what you could find.

You can find new watches with a similar style, but I don't think the story would be as interesting if you got one. Be patient and go for the real thing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Although no small second window - The Hamilton Intra Matic is a new quality watch that actually looks like the real deal vintage - comes 38mm, and 40something sizes. Also, the Hamilton Jazzmaster petite second already mentioned.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Longines have some great vintage looking pieces at reasonable prices - perhaps a dash over your budget brand new though.

+1, that's what I was going to suggest
Longines Conquest Heritage Automatic L1.611.4.75.4.jpg

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you really want a vintage Omega, then I would also suggest getting the real deal,

you heard that they are expensive to service ... from who??

Why not ask a reputable watchmaker how much they charge for a regular vintage watch service

and in my personal opinion, many things are made better back in the days (better materials)

best of luck

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a new watch purchase to go with my Chr.Ward C60 Trident.
I absolutely love the look on the vintage omega's, specifically this 1954 one.
View attachment 1195804
I am not sure about buying Vintage because i hear that they are expensive to service and i would have no idea how much life is left in it.
I am looking to spend around $800 -$900 max.
In case you are thinking about the Stowa Antea, you must know that i really dislike the watch, it does nothing for me but thank you anyway.
Thanks a lot for any replies.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'd agree with everyone else; look for a really good 1940's-50's large Omega. You might also expand your search to GP, UN and some of the others that made similar watches in big sizes back then. If you can get one for under $400, you'd have plenty of money left for a full restoration.

Among new watches, there is a Longines Flagship Heritage (discontinued?) with small seconds, but it is well out of budget:
LNG-664_medium.jpg

Here's the source for the Rodina that was mentioned earlier: Classic Rodina automatic wrist watch OEM by Sea-Gull ST17

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Longines have some great vintage looking pieces at reasonable prices - perhaps a dash over your budget brand new though.

I was just going to recommend this one.
Handily, it now also comes in a more modern 40mm. The 40mm costs a lot more though but if you're okay with the 35ish mm of the "original", it is a real beauty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts