WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a year since my last G-shock purchase, but ive caught the bug again! I'm waiting on a DW-6900MS-1 in the mail.(really excited) But now that i have the stealth watch I'm thinking i need to contrast it with a white watch. I'm curious about the G7800. Is it a good watch? I really dig the DW6900's size and look. I have a GW-5600J already....How is the G7800 in comparison? I'm familiar with the customization settings and functions...I'm more curious about the size and feel of the watch. Being in Southern California, the only G-shock outlets that i know of are Macy's stores, but i find their selection lacking . Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
my vote goes for the 6900, though my white choice there would be the rasta model; i like subtle difference in coloring more. also, that 6900 you posted is believe has been reported to be more of a really light grey rather than a straight white. just something to think about, you cant go wrong with any of them really!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would have to say 7800 hands down. It's a lot more watch for the money, and it actually wears very nice. It's big but it sits very nicely on the wrist. I think tribe125 put it best "big but not silly big" or something like that.

It also has a bit more weight to it than many larger g-shocks but is very balanced on the wrist and stays put. It has a very solid, high quality feel with excellent fit and finish. All of the buttons are nice and responsive but you will probably have to use your fingernail to press them (not hard or irritating once you get the technique) The display is the best I've seen on any digital. I find it's a perfect balance of classy, rugged, functional and cool. I've tried 5 different g-shocks before this one and I always found something (or several things) that really irritated me about them. With this one I haven't been able to find anything that I don't like about it (except that the "shock resist" and sig/mute/alarm/ indicators are written in red and not white/grey - i have the all black version)

Of course the 6900 is an ages-old fan favorite so I would expect a lot of people to recommend that one, but IMHO the 7800 is a far superior watch. In the end, it comes down to your personal taste, so just buy whichever one you think looks better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well i won this one on these forums, and i love it

·
Registered
414 Posts
G7800 all the way. Comfortable as heck, hangs and sits on the wrist very well, loads of features, two alert colors/beeps, custom text, multiple date display, blah blah blah. Even though you wanted white, here is the one I'm wearing right now.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
6900 hands down.

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Of those 2, I'd go for the 6900.

Just to throw it in the mix, have you considered the GWM850-7?

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Just to throw it in the mix, have you considered the GWM850-7?
:-! I was just going to make that suggestion.

out of the two above, i'd choose the 7800 (though i'm selling mine right now). i've never been much a fan of the three eyes of the 6900 - waste of display space IMO and i think the 7800 module is far more advanced.

regards, holger

·
Registered
330 Posts
:-! I was just going to make that suggestion.

out of the two above, i'd choose the 7800 (though i'm selling mine right now). i've never been much a fan of the three eyes of the 6900 - waste of display space IMO and i think the 7800 module is far more advanced.

regards, holger
Just out of curiousity, why are you selling your 7800? what's not to like about it? :-s

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great input! I think i might go for the g7800 for now. I can pick up a white DW6900 later.....It might just come down to what kind of deal i can get at the time. Plus i just got a black 6900...so im thinking maybe a different model is a good idea. oh...and yeah...that black and purple 7800 looks sick! where did you get that?

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why are you selling your 7800? what's not to like about it? :-s
well, it's just not appealing to me the way i hoped. there is nothing wrong with the watch per se but what i find truly annoying is the shiny black bezel (i have the 7800b) which just not fit to the otherwise great stealth factor. IMO the bezel should be matte black. this is one of the very rare examples, when i like a watch better from the pictures than in the flesh.

maybe it is also that square watches doesen't seem to work for me. I never liked the 5500/5600 models and i never felt love for the G-8000 which i bought a couple years back. I thought it would be different with the G-7800B but unfortunately this seems to be impossible...

regards, holger

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've seen pictures of many 7800's, and most of them didn't have a glossy finish. Only the one with the leather band did. Even someone's wrist shot i saw it was matte and not glossy. Did someone switch the band from leather to rubber on you?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've seen pictures of many 7800's, and most of them didn't have a glossy finish. Only the one with the leather band did. Even someone's wrist shot i saw it was matte and not glossy. Did someone switch the band from leather to rubber on you?
I think Holger was talking about the metal bezel. On the all-black version the metal bezel is coated black and is sort of shiny. For me this is one of the best aesthetic features of the watch and really add some texture and character. I find it perfectly accents what otherwise would have been a plain boring-looking watch. I also found that the more I wear it (in blazing sun, in the shower, doing mechanical work on my car) the bezel is developing more of a dark gun metal look and is looking less and less glossy. I've been wearing it every single day since I got it.

I think Holger might allergic to squares;-) My dad is exactly the same way. My siblings and I bought him a number of beautiful square watches over the years for his birthday and for father's day, and he could never wear any of them for some reason. Something about the square shape went against what he thought a watch should be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts