WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a watch I bought recently - a Seiko SGEG91. It was kind of an impulse purchase to replace a Swiss Army watch I'd owned and really liked, and it's got ALMOST everything I'm looking for. The case style is perfect, but now I'm thinking I need to look for something that has everything on my wish list (see below the pic). I'm looking for something kind of in the A-11 scheme of things, but with a nice enough finish and build quality that it holds up well and keeps good time.
seiko.jpg
- case style that fits rubber, fabric or leather straps, as opposed to a bracelet. I have some bracelet watches, and like them, but for what I have in mind, must work with generic or NATO straps. I think ideally the watch would come with a black leather or rubber strap, but if it doesn't, I can replace it. The case style on this watch is perfect.
- I really like this black gun-metal type of finish, but brushed or bright silver would be okay too, and is more likely what I'm going to find.
- black face, plainer the better. Naturally some trademarks and lettering like 100M or the like are going to be on the face, but don't really want quirky textures, subdials, or decorative stuff. This watch has bands around the minute marks (not sure if you can see them well), and that's the kind of thing I want to avoid next time.
- white/illuminated hour and minute hands and markers, red sweep second hand. Or might consider something slightly different here, but I really want the high contrast and illuminated features, and want some red in there to give it that military/aviation look. That's the main thing that bugs me about this watch I just bought. The silver hands look good and read well if you catch the light with them, but even under good light the minute hand can sort of disappear at some viewing angles. Fine with either numbers or just dots or bars to represent the hour positions.
- I'd like really good illumination, and have considered some of the tritium models, but it might be hard to find tritium in my price range, so not picky about that. Reading it in pitch black isn't as important as low light.
- date, or day/date, with nice high contrast numbers. Not as picky about having the day of week, as I usually remember that, but date is something I need to know, and can't remember half the time. :)
- Water-resistant 50M or better. Not planning to go diving; just don't want to worry about getting it wet.
- Quartz.
- Price range $150-400 or so. It's intended to be a daily-wear watch that works with jeans to business casual, or with dress clothes in a pinch, anyway. So for this project I don't want something that will break the bank or make me want to puke if it gets banged up a little.
- I've looked at Seiko, Citizen, and of course the Swiss Army various brands. Open to anything with a good brand reputation.

I've done a lot of browsing and looking, and have found a lot of watches that meet most of these criteria - the main challenge has been finding something that doesn't add sub-dials, or fancy bezels, etc. I like some of those things in some watches, but for this one I'm going for plain-jane visibility. So what are your suggestions? TIA

p.s. if you're wondering why I don't just buy that same Swiss Army watch again - it looked exactly the part but the build quality was pretty shoddy...

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
Carnival Tritium Casio Linage Casio WaveCeptor Seiko SNZG09 Swiss Army Field Watch Timex Expedition
3,323 Posts
I believe the Momentum Atlas meets most of your criteria. Titanium case and back, 5 yr battery, quartz, 100M WR with screw down crown. Good lume.

Here 's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Traser Classic
uploadfromtaptalk1391359206405.jpg
(This one has a textured dial)

Traser P5900
uploadfromtaptalk1391359250965.jpg
(this one does not have metal case though)

And, if black PVD case is ok, take a look at new Traser Officer.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - I like the look of the Traser - the radiation symbol on the dial is a nice touch. ;-)

·
Registered
833 Posts

I've had this 34mm field watch for a week now, and so far it's my go to watch when I want something light and comfortable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another complication I should have mentioned is I apparently have gorilla wrists. I've got a 41 mm watch on right now and proportionally, it's about the same as that 34.

I ended up buying an ArmourLite AL503 and liking everything about it except it's 38 mm wide and 16 mm thick. I did some MORE checking and found they had a recently discontinued model, the AL305, which is almost exactly the same watch in a 42mm size (also 16 mm thick). So I've now got THAT on order and plan to return the 503 (I'm not wearing it, so it should be good to go back).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yet another update - I got the ArmourLite AL308 (thought the model was 305, but I was mistaken) and really liked it. The difference in proportions was subtle, but enough to make a difference. Really liked it. I'm using the past tense here because it died in 3-4 days. Took it to a local jeweler and he found the battery was good but there was rust in the case. So back IT went and I ended up with one of samael's suggestions - the Traser Officer. Hits all my boxes exactly except the dial has no red. However, I had trouble with the last dealer that seems to have any of the 308 or 301 models, so I wasn't going to get hung up over one model.

Now that I have the Trasar Officer, I prefer it. Some things about it that don't jump out in photos - larger dial (thin sidewalls, so the crystal and dial come out almost to the edges, VERY clear numbers, and it has tritium even on the second hand, which is perhaps not all that big a deal, but a nice touch. To add some color, since it's all black and white, I have some different NATOs on order.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You may have seen it in another thread by now, but here it is. From that picture of your collection, I think I'll have to consult you in any future military watch purchase. :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

You may have seen it in another thread by now, but here it is. From that picture of your collection, I think I'll have to consult you in any future military watch purchase. :)

Lol. Most of those are gone now...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts