WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Vostok Caliber 2416 is a simple but very robust automatic movement, however, I recommend you to see it "live" (or a similar Vostok 2416 Caliber watch) before deciding on your purchase. Some people love Vostok 2416 Caliber watches for their simplicity, while others don't for exactly the same reason, so it's mainly a matter of taste.

By the way, the watch you're interested in is gold-plated, not gold. You won't find a gold watch for under US$150, unless you are really, really lucky on eBay.

The main problem I have with the 2416 Caliber automatic, and 2414 Caliber hand-winding Vostok movements is that they usually leave the factory not very well regulated, therefore, they tend to be quite imprecise, (anywhere between -15 to +40 sec per 24 hrs.). Due to better QC, and overall quality, Japanese watches usually perform better.

MMT
Yes, I know it's gold plated.
I just like the style of that Vostok. Is there a Japenese one similar to it?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
There used to be, maybe still is, a Lucien Picard "real" gold dress quartz for a really good price. Not 150, but I remember being impressed with the price.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
tragic you are right but I think it was a bit higher than what you quote $199 anyway yes real gold. 38-39mm in size one of the shopping channels had it about 6-8 mos ago I think maybe it was longer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The $199 14k LP 38-40 mm gold quartz with mineral crystal is listed in shopnbc's catalog but has been out of stock for many months. It was a good deal but IMO we wont see it again unless gold prices dip appreciably.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you considered vintage? Watches as you describe were very popular in the 50s and 60s. I got a 1960s omega, gold filled, leather band for about 184 bucks last year. The case is a bit scratched, but it still looks good, keeps excellent time, and has made a surpisingly good everyday wristwatch......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts