WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own one automatic watch and *LOVE* it - my Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor 3:

BinnacleAnchor3.jpg

I love it every bit as much as I thought I would, but I've discovered I really miss the date. I like the clean look of this watch completely as is, but I really miss the date information. Therefore, I want a second automatic watch but with a date window. Here is my criteria:

Mechanical, probably automatic
Date window
Would prefer smaller - really want to try a 38 mm to see how I like that size, but 38 mm isn't a complete must
Easy to read - I've discovered in my brief time into watches so far that ultra easy to read watches are something I tend to prefer
Probably would prefer a leather or canvas strap watch since the Anchor above has my bracelet needs covered
Cheaper the better, to be honest
Everything else being equal, an exhibition caseback would be nice since I don't have one and would like it, but this is a small consideration

Here are the nominees I've found so far.

Seiko Alpinist - Love the green and the overall design. The more I look at it, the more I love it. I've never used a non-stock strap on a watch but would for this one. Negative that that would cost more but a plus in that it would be fun to choose it and get exactly what I want.

Alpinist.jpg

Seiko 5 SNK809 - Love the price and the getting-down-to-basics vibe of the watch. Also, I love the heritage. I don't know how I'd like the hands shape, though, and I'd prefer just the date without the day of the week. Still, I like how cheap it is, so I wouldn't worry about it at all. One of those cases where the low price would make me like more every time I put it on my wrist. I do like the overall look.

Seiko_SNK809.jpg

Hamilton Khaki 38 mm - Like it for all the reasons thrown around these forums.

HamiltonKhaki38.jpg

Seiko SRP715 - A litter bigger than I want at 43.5mm, but I like that it has no red on the dial and is all black and white - love that! I also like the hands on this more than on the SNK809 above. Really want a 38 to 40mm watch for this, but this one might be speaking to me. This may be the one I'd like the most feedback on here.

SRP715-2.jpg

Any thoughts on these or any other nominations are welcome. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the fact the SNK809's day/date wheel is black will make it a lot easier to live with, it does use the 7S26c movement, so no hacking or handwinding. Great little bargain of a watch though.

Alpinist is great if it's to your taste, they've certainly grown on me, and the internal compass bezel would always be there as a toy to play with in bored moments. Very characterful and capable watch.

I'd probably choose the Khaki, something about the way the light plays on the black pie-pan dial, along with the whole dial layout just strongly appeals to me.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I'm really glad to hear you like the Bernhardt. I sure enjoy wearing mine. If you love the Alpinist, you could skip a step, and just get it. Only downside is that you still won't have a "regular" (black or white) watch. But you will own a really nice watch. I think the Khaki would make a great complement to the Bernhardt. Black instead of white, strap instead of bracelet. Super versatile watch that could be a lot of fun trying different straps. WR isn't great, IIRC. The Seiko 5 ticks a lot of boxes for you, and comes in several colors. Cheap enough to try, too. Plenty more Seiko 5's to look at, too.

Another route would be a smaller diver, like the SKX013. That would really add a lot of variety and versatility to your rotation/collection.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of the watches shown and if I wasn't pretty much against automatic watches I like the Hamilton best and the Seiko SRP secend best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Hmm, I was kind of wanting an automatic since I really like my one automatic and this next watch would likely get half or more of my workday wrist time. However, if I was to open this up to quartz, I've wanted a Momentum Flatline for a long time. Something to consider. I think I really want a mechanical for this watch but this Momentum or the Citizen Eco Drive field watch would be strong contenders.

MomentumFlatline.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm really glad to hear you like the Bernhardt. I sure enjoy wearing mine. If you love the Alpinist, you could skip a step, and just get it. Only downside is that you still won't have a "regular" (black or white) watch. But you will own a really nice watch. I think the Khaki would make a great complement to the Bernhardt. Black instead of white, strap instead of bracelet. Super versatile watch that could be a lot of fun trying different straps. WR isn't great, IIRC. The Seiko 5 ticks a lot of boxes for you, and comes in several colors. Cheap enough to try, too. Plenty more Seiko 5's to look at, too.

Another route would be a smaller diver, like the SKX013. That would really add a lot of variety and versatility to your rotation/collection.
Been looking at the SKX013 now on your recommendation. Liking it a lot - on my list now. It would be kind of neat to get it since your recommendation is what led me to the Bernhardt several months ago.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cheaper the better, to be honest.
However, if I was to open this up to quartz...
Well then, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the classic Timex Easy Reader, now celebrating its 40th anniversary. Several sizes and aesthetic treatments; here's a 38mm:

Timex ER.png

Here's the limited edition anniversary model, but, alas, no date complication.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Been looking at the SKX013 now on your recommendation. Liking it a lot - on my list now. It would be kind of neat to get it since your recommendation is what led me to the Bernhardt several months ago.
Another one of my favorites is the Dagaz Thunderbolt. Measures a mm smaller than the Bernhardt, but seems smaller, maybe due to the bezel design. Lugs are kinda long, though. Comes on a nice bracelet, but wears (almost any) straps well.

t-bolt13.jpg

BTW, if your wife calls, I'm denying everything!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Believe the snk is 37mm, if you're willing to go down to 37, are you willing to go down to 36? The reason I ask is glycine makes the combat 6 in this size and there are pretty good deals to be had right now on them from watchgooroo on ebay (I have one in the mail as we speak).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well then, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the classic Timex Easy Reader, now celebrating its 40th anniversary. Several sizes and aesthetic treatments; here's a 38mm:

View attachment 12424013

Here's the limited edition anniversary model, but, alas, no date complication.
Love those Timex models. I've had the Weekender on my radar for a while, too. The Tisell from the earlier post is nice, but not my thing. The long super-thin hands and indices, I strongly dislike. Don't know why. Shame, too, on this watch since I love its simplicity, color, size, and its execution of the date window.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This Seagull meets your requirements:

XIANLIANGFUGU-D51-3.jpg

Or there's the Rodina Bauhaus (which has a Seagull movement):

R005GB-2.jpg

I have the version that doesn't have the date, and I agree, I miss having the date when I wear it. It's 38.4 mm, so just a touch bigger than your spec.

Both of these have a sapphire crystal, which is nice at this sub-$200 price point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts