WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, anyone know of a solar version of Casio Duro model mdv106? I would like to do a hydro-mod. I have done this successfully on all-plastic solar Casio and on the battery-powered Casio MDV106. I want the sturdiness and screw-down crown combined with solar so I don’t have to change batteries ever again. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Generally speaking, in case of an analog watch, you should use a high-torque movement for your hydromod project.

I'm not aware of any solar powered movement being high-torque. Whatever type of oil you might use, there will be a lot of resistance applied to the second hand. No standard quartz movement could warranty an acceptable accuracy in such working environnement.

·
Registered
954 Posts
You will still have to change out a solar capacitor battery eventually, especially if it's in a case with other watches and doesn't get sunlight every day.

I'm only stating this because I had to (sorry, CHOSE to) do surgery on my Citizen right after the 5 year warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great inquires, thanks! I am OK with the risks and downsides of hydro-modding. The whole reason I want a solar watch is so I don’t have to worry about energy.

Can anyone point out a watch I would do this with?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Casio MTP-S110
I haven't seen it in person, but it seems very similar to the duro. It has 100m water resistance, so I'm not sure if the crown is screw down or push pull, and how that would work being hydro-modded?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
There was a solar version for the MDV-106, the MDV-102. That model was loved by many and unfortunately was discontinued. It's considered an antique and highly sought for by enthusiasts. Hence, if you managed to find one, it's not gonna be cheap. I highly against using that as a test subject for your hydro mod experiment.

I suggest find something cheap to use for this. The oil will likely degrade the components and materials inside faster, so longevity of the battery is irrelevant. If you really want a solar model, I say use the one below (MRW-S310H). You can easily find one for only $30 bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No rotating bezel is a deal-breaker, honestly. Not that I need it, just to have.
It all depends on the watch. This is a sub $100 daily driver. If my Kobold Phantom Tactical Black Ops had a fixed bezel, I'd be pissed. This thing? Don't care.

If it fit, I'd swap this into a Duro case and have a solar Duro with a clicky bezel but it's not in the cards.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There was a solar version for the MDV-106, the MDV-102. That model was loved by many and unfortunately was discontinued. It's considered an antique and highly sought for by enthusiasts. Hence, if you managed to find one, it's not gonna be cheap. I highly against using that as a test subject for your hydro mod experiment.

I suggest find something cheap to use for this. The oil will likely degrade the components and materials inside faster, so longevity of the battery is irrelevant. If you really want a solar model, I say use the one below (MRW-S310H). You can easily find one for only $30 bucks.
Like this one that I filled?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
^ I am telling you, I have super power! I can predict the future. Exact same model as I suggested... wow. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Let me ask, what is this sudden renewed interest for hydro modding? There's another thread woke up recently about this (see below), where at the same time a member's interested for hydro modding automatics. It's already a risky practice for digital watches, for the small benefits of better viewing angle and higher water resistance. What is the benefit for filling an analog watch with fluid? You can already read the hands with zero issue. Same time what are the chances of you venturing into the depth of hundreds of meters underwater?! The fluid for sure will affect the accuracy regardless if it's quartz or automatic, as both are calibrated based on the hands running in air. You need to re-calibrate to make sure it's keeping accurate time under the viscosity of the fluid you used.

Just what is the rationale for this?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me ask, what is this sudden renewed interest for hydro modding? There's another thread woke up recently about this (see below), where at the same time a member's interested for hydro modding automatics. It's already a risky practice for digital watches, for the small benefits of better viewing angle and higher water resistance. What is the benefit for filling an analog watch with fluid? You can already read the hands with zero issue. Same time what are the chances of you venturing into the depth of hundreds of meters underwater?! The fluid for sure will affect the accuracy regardless if it's quartz or automatic, as both are calibrated based on the hands running in air. You need to re-calibrate to make sure it's keeping accurate time under the viscosity of the fluid you used.

Just what is the rationale for this?

Interesting concept, good-looking results, way to tinker with not-very-expensive pieces. Now, automatic hydro-filling is a bit odd.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts