1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Jaeger-LeCoultre and LeCoultre are essentially the same thing- watches signed simply as LeCoultre were made for the American market. What should you be looking for? I guess only you can answer that question. "Just something dressy" applies to many JLC... The design of dress watches changed throughout a few decades, so there's 1940s sort of dressy, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s... I suggest that you post the links to listings for watches that do fit in your criteria, and we'll do our best to tell you if such a watch is all good, or one to walk away from.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jaeger-LeCoultre and LeCoultre are essentially the same thing- watches signed simply as LeCoultre were made for the American market. What should you be looking for? I guess only you can answer that question. "Just something dressy" applies to many JLC... The design of dress watches changed throughout a few decades, so there's 1940s sort of dressy, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s... I suggest that you post the links to listings for watches that do fit in your criteria, and we'll do our best to tell you if such a watch is all good, or one to walk away from.
How about this Memovox?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/[fs]-vintage-collection-omega-seamaster-geneve-lecoultre-jlc-memovox-date-2182106.html

or this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAEGER-LECOULTRE-Gents-Automatic-Vintage-Watch-1961-/171866606824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item28040c4ce8

I also love this, but don't know where to look to find one:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/my-first-jaeger-lecoultre-vintage-2219746.html#post18866154

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
As to the eBay listing, I believe that- on the contrary to what the seller says- this watch is a redial.
The one here on WUS... I don't know how about the hands, but something doesn't look right... And there is no movement picture provided.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,901 Posts
The Memovox looks really nice but will probably be manual rather than automatic. The main problem from my point of view: no movement piccie. It is advertised on WUS but nevertheless, I would caution against automtically thinking that different rules apply here as compared to eBay. The second one I would be wary of since, in stark contras to the seller's claims ("rare to see an original dial looking so good....."), I am convinced that it's a redial. The surface is pristine but the markers (and hands) are tarnished - not a plausible combination!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Memovox looks really nice but will probably be manual rather than automatic. The main problem from my point of view: no movement piccie. It is advertised on WUS but nevertheless, I would caution against automtically thinking that different rules apply here as compared to eBay. The second one I would be wary of since, in stark contras to the seller's claims ("rare to see an original dial looking so good....."), I am convinced that it's a redial. The surface is pristine but the markers (and hands) are tarnished - not a plausible combination!

Hartmut Richter
Thanks! I'll try to get a movement pic for the Memovox.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
By the way, one more thing about this Memovox looks troubling- the hands. Looking at various JLC Memodate I haven't seen one with hands like that. But more importantly- what the hell are steel hands doing in a gold-plated watch with gold hour markers?
And, the Omega the guy's selling is a redial. The redial done by this "professional restorer" is horrible. Repainted by a local handyman sounds more like it. Just looking at the badly applied chapter ring does give me the "better walk away" feeling. And where there are redials, there can be something else wrong as well.
I think that it would be good to wait for opinions of others.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, one more thing about this Memovox looks troubling- the hands. Looking at various JLC Memodate I haven't seen one with hands like that. But more importantly- what the hell are steel hands doing in a gold-plated watch with gold hour markers?
And, the Omega the guy's selling is a redial. The redial done by this "professional restorer" is horrible. Repainted by a local handyman sounds more like it. Just looking at the badly applied chapter ring does give me the "better walk away" feeling. And where there are redials, there can be something else wrong as well.
I think that it would be good to wait for opinions of others.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even notice the different color hands. He says it's entirely original, but now I'm skeptical. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could look for good condition and original pieces around $1k?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I think a decent JLC or LeCoultre (US market - generally with US made case) is certainly doable for under $1,000 on eBay. However, you need to be careful and ask questions here about potential purchases.

You can look at the sales forums on this site and other watch forums. You could get lucky, but the people on most are savvy collectors and will snap up any nice example priced below market in a heartbeat. At least with eBay, you get some time to properly consider a purchase before bidding.

Also, always use a sniper program to bid. Gixen.com is the best IMO, but there are others. This way, no one knows you are looking at an auction and you bid only what you are willing to pay. You want to avoid bidding wars, as you may be bidding against the seller!:rodekaart

I purchased this very nice manual-wind LeCoultre Memovox gold-fiiled for under $500.

Good luck with your search,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
About two years ago.

A similar watch was recently sold on eBay for under $500, but it had a dent on the case and one replacement crown.

Vintage Gent's 10KGF LeCoultre Memovox Watch Caliber K814 | eBay

Like I said, isn't easy, but it can be done.
gatorcpa
Yours example does look ok at least from what can be seen
But this one in the link... Overpolished, almost a hole in the case and a funny plated crown :) Crown is changeable but underpolishing and case fixing would cost

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Yours example does look ok at least from what can be seen
But this one in the link... Overpolished, almost a hole in the case and a funny plated crown :) Crown is changeable but underpolishing and case fixing would cost
Agreed.

Mine is 100% original. Admittedly, I have been unable to open the case. These models have an inner cover that has the post for the alarm. The alarm works fine and is very loud, so it must be there.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
- Album on Imgur

How does this one look to you? Seller is asking $800. Says everything is original and that the dial is untouched.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Looks good to me...on the outside. No movement picture again... Since it doesn't look like it's automatic, then with no movement pic you could as well expect an AS or Poljot instead of JLC inside.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts