WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am new to this forum and blown away by the amount of informations there is here.

I am looking to create a new brand/online store and was interested in creating a somewhat custom watch line. Can anybody suggest watch manufacturers that are not from china? Cant find anything on google ...

Retail price range would be around $150

- Stainless steel case
- 39 mm dial
- custom printed dial and logo
- logo on back
- saphir glass
- would be great to have a choice of hands
- Day and date

Here is a photo of the design in mind.

Watch_design1.jpg

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
You would use a quartz movement, I presume...
Naturally, unless the OP wants to make 100.000 watches in a single order to keep the costs down to minimum.

Reactions: Inca Bloc

·
Registered
20,340 Posts
Can anybody suggest watch manufacturers that are not from china?
What is the problem with manufacturers from China? Half of the watches you see today have some links back to China.

You may try HMT from India, but I don't know whether they would accept small orders, Chinese manufacturers are generally more flexible as they are mostly privately owned.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I agree about HMT. I've been told that there can be some problems due to the "public" owning...
It's a pity, to be honest. I think HMT has great skills...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Hi!

I am new to this forum and blown away by the amount of informations there is here.

I am looking to create a new brand/online store and was interested in creating a somewhat custom watch line. Can anybody suggest watch manufacturers that are not from china? Cant find anything on google ...

Retail price range would be around $150

- Stainless steel case
- 39 mm dial
- custom printed dial and logo
- logo on back
- saphir glass
- would be great to have a choice of hands
- Day and date
Thanks guys!
why not from China? There are a lot of good watchmakers there and they build HQ products.... Vostok Europe is allways prepared to talk about limited's. Also here in the "low-lands" (Netherlands-Flanders) are some active company's. Alibaba.com is perhaps a good way to find someone? 150$ retail sounds to me that you are more looking for a "sweatshop" than a serious long term partnership?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
did you even calculate the cost of this project (sorry, im just curious, not rude...)?
1 : buy movements
2 : buy stainless steel
3 : buy precut saphir glass
4 : Pay company who cnc'd your stainless steel
5 : have all components delivered @ the assemblier
6 : transport to "your" place of storage
7 : re-distribute
I hope you can pull it off, but beïng a biznezman myself, i know that @ 150$ retail, you will never even get close to the R.O.I ..... Wouldn't it be better (cos of the same effort and cost) to "up-spec" the movement, and become more of a "Boutique brand" that only makes limiteds? This would allow you to price it up, and perhaps use local events, records, or historic facts as a theme, so you would get some free media-attention as well?
Just thinking abt your thread, y know........

·
Registered
7 Posts
did you even calculate the cost of this project (sorry, im just curious, not rude...)?
1 : buy movements
2 : buy stainless steel
3 : buy precut saphir glass
4 : Pay company who cnc'd your stainless steel
5 : have all components delivered @ the assemblier
6 : transport to "your" place of storage
7 : re-distribute
I hope you can pull it off, but beïng a biznezman myself, i know that @ 150$ retail, you will never even get close to the R.O.I ..... Wouldn't it be better (cos of the same effort and cost) to "up-spec" the movement, and become more of a "Boutique brand" that only makes limiteds? This would allow you to price it up, and perhaps use local events, records, or historic facts as a theme, so you would get some free media-attention as well?
Just thinking abt your thread, y know........
150$ retail is do-able but I don't think its worth it. Might as well offer more and charge a slightly higher price. You also have to consider that you need to give the retailer a cut of the price. Besides that, do consider the warranty to be offered. Furthermore, since you aren't going to be placing large orders as of yet, your costs isn't going to be very low either!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
150$ retail is do-able but I don't think its worth it. Might as well offer more and charge a slightly higher price. You also have to consider that you need to give the retailer a cut of the price. Besides that, do consider the warranty to be offered. Furthermore, since you aren't going to be placing large orders as of yet, your costs isn't going to be very low either!
Welcome back Willy.
Glad to meet you here again! :)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You are going to struggle with an RRP if $150 if you insist on non-Asian manufacturing, even with quartz.

There is nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing these days, providing you go with a high quality factory. Most non- Swiss brands use Chinese manufacturing nowadays (and even some 'Swiss' brands use them too!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are going to struggle with an RRP if $150 if you insist on non-Asian manufacturing, even with quartz.

There is nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing these days, providing you go with a high quality factory. Most non- Swiss brands use Chinese manufacturing nowadays (and even some 'Swiss' brands use them too!)
I know you are making the second watches yet.So could you recommend some manufactures?

·
Registered
562 Posts
what eta 28XX , 7750 or other?
in that price I can get brand name watch like Hamilton with eta movement
I would not pay ($1000-$3000) for microbrand

·
Registered
50 Posts
what eta 28XX , 7750 or other?
in that price I can get brand name watch like Hamilton with eta movement
I would not pay ($1000-$3000) for microbrand
So the brand name and history is more important than investing in a microbrand? Just want to get an idea of what is acceptable for a start up

·
Banned
118 Posts
Before finding a factory, make sure you can sell the watch. A lot of us make the initial mistake of putting the cart before the horse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think he'd stuggle with the price point of $150 becuase that's exactly what I am doing right now - fashion watch design,swiss movement, stainless steel and I've gotten pricing under $20. I'd suggest a mineral glass crystal though to bring the cost down but it's definitely doable and a lot of profit can be had.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I don't think he'd stuggle with the price point of $150 becuase that's exactly what I am doing right now - fashion watch design,swiss movement, stainless steel and I've gotten pricing under $20. I'd suggest a mineral glass crystal though to bring the cost down but it's definitely doable and a lot of profit can be had.
What type of swiss movement are you using? With my limited research, $20 seems very cheap. Are you making 10,000 units at a time?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts