WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm looking for a watch with the following specification, would love any suggestions you may have:

Under 11mm thick
Under 40mm diameter
Has a date window
Very legible hands, preferably with good lume
No chronograph
Budget is $7K, with preferable price between $1K-$5K
Would also prefer a hand wind vs. automatic, but realize that this may be too restrictive a criteria

My goal is to replace my omega 2264.50 which has served me very well for the past decade. I'm a one watch type of person, so I'm looking for something that is versatile (not too sporty or too dressy, kind of like this omega).

From a visual standpoint, I love the way the Stowa Flieger looks, super clean dial. I would love that in a manual wind, with no logo, but with date (which I don't believe exists).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You could get a couple for that price, or three. You don't say what style. Are you open to gray market or prefer an AD? Would you buy used? More info, please.

A pic of a watch or two that you like but don't quite fit the bill would help, a lot.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If you are favorably disposed to Omega, want something versatile, not too dressy or too sporty, why not consider the Aqua Terra on a stainless bracelet with an added leather band to dress it up a bit more?

·
Banned
107 Posts
A few you might like

scvs01317tk (1).jpg
4213283038_19691f934e_o.jpg
b122333923.jpg

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm feeling dornblueth & sohn might be the pick here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
11.7mm thick
40mm diameter
Has a date window
Very legible hands, with good lume
No chronograph
Retail price $6700; street price about $5000
Inhouse movement
versatile (not too sporty or too dressy)

ZENITH ELPRIMERO ESPADA (White dial or Black dial)

03.2170.4650/01.M2170 (OR) 03.2170.4650/21.M2170

Zenith-EP-Espada.jpg
pic from zenith website

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was going to say the IWC portuguese until I saw the need for a versatile piece..

The zenith el primero posted above gets my vote!

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
If you are favorably disposed to Omega, want something versatile, not too dressy or too sporty, why not consider the Aqua Terra on a stainless bracelet with an added leather band to dress it up a bit more?
I would have suggested the Aqua Terra as well, but I think the 8500 based version is 13.5mm, which is more than the 11mm the OP has stipulated, otherwise it would be perfect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for great suggestions so far. I agree that the Aqua Terra could be a perfect fit, just a tad thick for my taste but maybe that 8500 movement is worth the extra thickness.

The Zenith El Primero Espada is looking to be a real winner though so far. Looks great, perfect size, and seems to be versatile enough for an everyday watch although it probably borders a bit on the dressier side vs sporty (at least in my eyes).

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello all!

I'm looking for a watch with the following specification, would love any suggestions you may have:

Under 11mm thick
Under 40mm diameter
Has a date window
Very legible hands, preferably with good lume
No chronograph
Budget is $7K, with preferable price between $1K-$5K
Would also prefer a hand wind vs. automatic, but realize that this may be too restrictive a criteria

My goal is to replace my omega 2264.50 which has served me very well for the past decade. I'm a one watch type of person, so I'm looking for something that is versatile (not too sporty or too dressy, kind of like this omega).

From a visual standpoint, I love the way the Stowa Flieger looks, super clean dial. I would love that in a manual wind, with no logo, but with date (which I don't believe exists).
If you are going to be spending $5k-7k I would suggest you go with a brand with heritage which will hold its value over time and also give you superb time over next 30-40 years without worries ...

So with $7k as your budget .... you could try for a new Rolex GMT MASTER 2 (116710LN) 40mm dial - Retail is $8450 but you can get a discount of around 10% depending on how good you negotiate with the dealer ... mostly they will give you 10% without much bargaining even ... I just recently got myself the new Sub C (116610LN) @ $7850 which retails for $8550 ....

Or you could go for the new Rolex DATEJUST 2 (Ref M116300) @ 41mm dial size and all steel ... @ around $6k-6.5k (less discount) would be a good deal ...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
If you are going to be spending $5k-7k I would suggest you go with a brand with heritage which will hold its value over time and also give you superb time over next 30-40 years without worries ...

So with $7k as your budget .... you could try for a new Rolex GMT MASTER 2 (116710LN) 40mm dial - Retail is $8450 but you can get a discount of around 10% depending on how good you negotiate with the dealer ... mostly they will give you 10% without much bargaining even ... I just recently got myself the new Sub C (116610LN) @ $7850 which retails for $8550 ....

Or you could go for the new Rolex DATEJUST 2 (Ref M116300) @ 41mm dial size and all steel ... @ around $6k-6.5k (less discount) would be a good deal ...
Bargaining on Rolex depends on where you're purchasing. Try getting those prices in Sydney. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. One watch just caught my eye yesterday when I was at my local Omega boutique and I can't get it out of my head. It's the Omega Deville Hour Vision with blue face. Only problem is I don't know if it's something I can use as a daily watch or if it's too much of a "special occasion" type of watch. I'm not super active and would wear it to work most of the time, but I'm a fairly casual dresser so I'm not sure that it would suit my jeans and a polo/casual button down. If it's more of a special occasion watch, I'd probably have to pass on it as I can't see myself making a $5K purchase to keep in a drawer 99% of the year.

Here's a pic:

deville.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thought was I could always get an Aqua Terra with the blue face and that may be a better all-around watch (not too casual, not too dressy).

at.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
I think the Aqua Terra is a better choice than the DeVille. In particular, the DeVille is dressier, but still hardly a dress watch in a traditional sense, so I view it as much less versatile than the Aqua Terra. In fact, I think the Aqua Terra on a leather strap might even be more appropriate than the DeVille for dressy occasions, as it strikes me as being a more subdued watch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you are not looking at the Sporty Oyster Professional collections of ROLEX like the Sub or Explorer 1 or the GMT Master 2, then I suggest the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra on black leather strap as a better bang for the buck considering your need for versatility.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
11.7mm thick
40mm diameter
Has a date window
Very legible hands, with good lume
No chronograph
Retail price $6700; street price about $5000
Inhouse movement
versatile (not too sporty or too dressy)

ZENITH ELPRIMERO ESPADA (White dial or Black dial)

03.2170.4650/01.M2170 (OR) 03.2170.4650/21.M2170

View attachment 1132815
pic from zenith website
My thought exactly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts