WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I am looking for an affordable watch (less than $200) that should:

i) be slim (case thickness is less than 9mm)

ii) be WITHOUT a second hand (I cannot sleep with tic-tac voice of the second hand!)

iii) have luminous hands or a light (wanna see the time at night)

My current watch (brand name 'Hislon', not bought in US) satisfies the first two criteria but useless in dark :-(
As to first criteria, slimness, I really like Skagen watches but they also don't have luminous hands, and most of them includes a second hand :-(

(Btw, although I am mainly looking for a quartz watch, digital watches are also welcome. But, depending on my search in US watch market for a week, it is really hard to find a slim digital watch.)

Any idea? :-s

Thanks a lot in advance ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline Quartz is 7mm thick, doesn't have a seconds hand, believe it has lame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe this watch meets all your criteria. I put it together for less than $25.00, if I recall correctly. That will leave plenty of room in the budget for extra NATO straps. b-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was pretty sure that somebody will come with an idea of a cheap Casio model :) Although these Casio models are timeless and fantastic, I don't want that kind. Thanks anyway.

I am hopeful that I can get other ideas from this forum.

I believe this watch meets all your criteria. I put it together for less than $25.00, if I recall correctly. That will leave plenty of room in the budget for extra NATO straps. b-)

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
Not an easy task.

Slim cases and 2 hands implies a dress watch to be worn with a suit or tux for example.

Formal dress watches imply no lume.

Googling around, I can't find any easily. Can you actually hear an automatic watch ticking? I can understand on some (not all) quartz models, but I'm completely unable to hear an automatic. The rotor is audible under certain circumstances though. For quartz, have you tried a "small seconds" watch? Often those won't tick loudly.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Along with OvrSteer's suggestion, what about a quartz chorongraph (that does not have central seconds)? There was no audible ticking noise on any of the 3 that I've owned unless I brought the watches right up to my ear.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
it is not second hand that does that nasty TIK-TOK
it's.... MOVEMENT!!!
so, just pick a watch with massive heavy case and you will hear nothing even from that tracktors UNITASes
or go digital.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OvrSteer. thanks for your help.

Actually, I heard that automatic watches sometimes miss the actual time, but I have never had one. If you know any good automatic watch (under $200, slim, and luminous hand), please let me know.

Also, do you mean chronographs with 'small seconds' watch? If so, can you suggest any?

Not an easy task.

Slim cases and 2 hands implies a dress watch to be worn with a suit or tux for example.

Formal dress watches imply no lume.

Googling around, I can't find any easily. Can you actually hear an automatic watch ticking? I can understand on some (not all) quartz models, but I'm completely unable to hear an automatic. The rotor is audible under certain circumstances though. For quartz, have you tried a "small seconds" watch? Often those won't tick loudly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gazza74, any suggestions?

Along with OvrSteer's suggestion, what about a quartz chorongraph (that does not have central seconds)? There was no audible ticking noise on any of the 3 that I've owned unless I brought the watches right up to my ear.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There's an abundance of nice chronographs, especially from Seiko. Did you want something more sporty, or more dressy? That will help tailor suggestions to what you're looking for.
I have a Seiko quartz chrono that is pretty quiet, but so is my three-hand quartz Momentum Atlas and my automatic Seagull Seamaster. That said, I don't sleep with them at bedside.

In contrast, my manual wind Seagull 1963 (hked version) is so loud the hyperticking makes me anxious when my office is quiet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sporty.

but seiko's are beyond my budget ($200) :-(

There's an abundance of nice chronographs, especially from Seiko. Did you want something more sporty, or more dressy? That will help tailor suggestions to what you're looking for.

·
Registered
598 Posts
A great choice if you don't mind a slightly smaller case size is the Seiko SNK809. Automatic too so no annoying ticking. There are actually two on the for sale forum now for under $50. Gives you extra money for straps to mix it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
sporty.

If you are in US (can't tell with tapatalk) Amazon is cheaper than that.

And Pulsar with Lumibrite is a cheaper alternative.

And the Atlas I mentioned (although it might still be too loud, which means its digital territory for you).

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
OvrSteer. thanks for your help.

Actually, I heard that automatic watches sometimes miss the actual time, but I have never had one. If you know any good automatic watch (under $200, slim, and luminous hand), please let me know.

Also, do you mean chronographs with 'small seconds' watch? If so, can you suggest any?
I should have probably been more clear-- loud ticking is a characteristic of certain watch movements and brands. If you're used to Timex, almost anything else will be quieter. The only watch I have with audible ticks is a Timex (and it's a good Timex so you can only just barely hear it ticking.) Going with Seiko or Citizen should be pretty safe in general.

Automatic watches do not usually keep time as well as a quartz watch of the same price, but a good watch should keep time within a minute or two per month if you wear it every day. Most inexpensive automatics are going to be a little thicker than 9mm, but that extra thickness is on the back and not as bad as a "tall" watch.

For inexpensive automatic watches with very good lume, look at Seiko and Orient -- SEIKO 5 Finder - Searchable Seiko 5 Catalog

Chronographs are not the only watches with a 'small seconds' but every Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Casio, Wenger, etc. quartz Chronograph should be quiet.

Here is an example of a watch with small seconds that is not a chronograph. This watch is no longer on sale, but you can find similar watches.

Citizen_BV1060-07e_leather.jpg

Reactions: hanshananigan

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

^ You really can't beat the tried & true A158W (chrome finish) or F91W (black plastic).

Buuttt... Since you mentioned nighttime visibility, how about the A168W, which has a proper backlight, instead of the 80s-style side light?
Amazon.com: Casio Men's A168W-1 Stainless Steel Watch: BBQGuys: Watches

Those two are both 80s style.

The B640WD is 70s style, and has a superior module, (it has a countdown timer, multifunction alarm, etc) but is a bit thicker. (very similar to that of the DW5600E G-Shock)
Amazon.com: Casio B640WD-1A Men's Silver Digital Retro Stainless Steel Watch: Casio: Watches

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
sporty.

You can get plenty of Seiko chronographs for under $200.

Two that I'm personally familiar with are the SNDC and SNDD models. Both are sporty and great watches. I'd have to check the thickness, but I've worn both under the my shirt cuff with no issues. There are more models that I can look up tomorrow when I've got more than my phone to look up. You can also take a look at the sales forum (look through watchrecon.com where you can see a picture) to see if anything that's for sale strikes your fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts