WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. I am seeking a good watchmaker in the Ottawa area or between Montreal and Toronto.

I have several vintage pieces (mainly Automatic) that need some attention and I would like to have more of a one on one relationship with the watchmaker than the traditional box stores that ship them off to god knows where.

I have been to Don Thompson Jewelers so far and will be visiting Howard's this afternoon.

Is anyone from the region and know of someone working on watches?

Thanks!

Justin

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I've been into Kaya's Watch and Clock a few times; I don't get my watches serviced there (I do my own) but I've gotten straps and crystals from him, and what I've seen of the watches he works on is pretty positive. His hours are a bit wonky though, so call first.

Home

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Justind97, I know that this is a bit of an older thread, but I'm wondering how your experiences went with each of the locations you visited?

Thanks,
MC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good! I'm always looking for a watchmaker.

I didn't end up visiting Kaya as I have seen a lot of negative reviews.

There's a guy at the end of St. Laurent, Time Sharpening, that I have been meaning to go in and meet.

I have a few watches ready to be fixed when I find the right person.

There's also the watchmaker at Howard's. Not sure if he does stuff on the side.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hadn't heard about Time Sharpening, that's an interesting one. I usually go to Elgin Jewelers. Al does a decent job. You need to follow up to check his work though, (same as most watchmakers really).

Howard's will only really do Rolex, maybe some ETA. I've never used them. If you want real peace of mind you can go to the Chateau d'Ivoire in Montreal. It will cost you, but you get what you pay for.

The Watch Clinic on Bank might do decent work, but the customer service rep, Vivian, is legendary for being unpredictable and difficult to deal with (despite her friendliness).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hadn't heard about Time Sharpening, that's an interesting one. I usually go to Elgin Jewelers. Al does a decent job. You need to follow up to check his work though, (same as most watchmakers really).

Howard's will only really do Rolex, maybe some ETA. I've never used them. If you want real peace of mind you can go to the Chateau d'Ivoire in Montreal. It will cost you, but you get what you pay for.

The Watch Clinic on Bank might do decent work, but the customer service rep, Vivian, is legendary for being unpredictable and difficult to deal with (despite her friendliness).
Rolex will be a bit out of my league. I'm only entering the world of automatics now and looking at Hamiltons (or maybe a Victorinox) with ETA movements. It will be good to have a trusted place to go to if I need anything so I appreciate the updated feedback on locations around Ottawa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Just thought I would chime in on this. I haven't been to see Mr. Kaya for a while. He used to be in the mall near my house and I had numerous good dealings with him. He helped me with quite a few things and even let me watch over his shoulder to learn a bit. His primary business is antique clocks, though, and he does house calls, hence his difficult-to-pin-down hours. I have also had good service from Fooshin on Richmond Rd in Westboro. I don't know his name, but he's very honest and won't gouge. I took a vintage Omega in for him to look at replacing the crystal (it had a few nicks in it that cast shadows on the dial). He told me I was too picky and should just wear it as is and that I could probably get the nicks out using fine sand paper and then polishing compound. He was right on both counts (I am too picky and I was able to get the nicks out with a little patience).

Regards

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts