WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just looked at the PWR 5100 review vs Suunto Core review, and what I understand from it is that I really would like a barometer on my watch, but I think I won't use altimeter function of the watch.
I don't really enjoy 20 miles hikes, but since my childhood I like weather forecasts, and I'd like to be capable of my own weather forecasts with my watch.

Is there a "discreet" watch with a barometer, hygrometer, and/or capable of receiving by radio weather forecasts for the next 3 days ?
I know that I can use my smartphone to look at the weather forecast channel, but I'd prefer doing that with a watch.

I saw a watch with a very discreet barometer : Tissot Touch....Analog watch with a small but sufficient digital screen for the barometer, but far too expensive for me...

PWR 5100 is a nice watch, quite pricey (€299) radio controlled, solar powered (does it really work ?), but designed for athletes with a big wrist that I don't have (6,5 inches).

Any suggestions ? :think:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
You can try looking for a Casio PAW-500 - they've been very cheap on ebay just a little while back but seem all be gone now - I think the model is discontinued - I paid 100US$ for mine and put it on a Nato strap with adapters (the adapters from a PAW-1300 are a perfect fit) - it's one of the smaller models and doesn't have a compass - but you can display the barometer trend at all times on the main display:

It is about the size of a standard DW-5600 (on the pic it is next to my DW-5000SL):

I also really like the clean and uncluttered display which still has all the info I want/need. Insted of the baro trend you can also display the complete date including year or the date/weekday.

Another nice smaller model is the PRG-100 which has probably the biggest barometer graph you can wish for:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f296/prg-100-aver-296629-post2181637.html#post2181637

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
There are lots of warches with barometer.

Some of the most known and used are the following

Casio protreks and some gshocks like riseman

Suunto core, xlander etc

Tech4o trailleader

Timex ws4 (with nice weather display)

If you specify your further criteria i could be more specific.

And dont forget that the best tool you have to understasd the weather is you and your experience.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this quick and detailed answer,

I'd really prefer a watch with hands, but digital watches seem to be really cheaper. I don't see any PAW500 on the web...even though it is not a mix analog/digital watch like the prw 5100, it seems to be a wave ceptor and a solar powered watch.
PRG 100 is still on the web, smaller and quite discreet, but unfortunately 100% digital as well and no radio controlled. However it seems to be less expensive (110$ + VAT and custom taxes for Europe)....

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Yes, the PAW-500 really seems to be all gone - strange. It has "Multiband 5" - so receives signals in Europe, USA and Japan. If you don't really need the trend graph you could go for a SGW-400 - not solar but ana-digi and has a nice feature set - also one of the few current ana-digi models with EL-illumination of the display. But I think it's one of the bigger models.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should be saying thanks for these answers (plural)

I would like an analog watch, thinner or more discreet than the PRW 5100. And if possible not a 100% digital watch.
Casio has done a nice job with this watch Casio - EFA-120L-1A1VEF - Montre Homme Multifonctions - Quartz analogique et digitale - Bracelet Cuir: Amazon.fr: Montres
Unfortunately, I am not looking for thermometer but a barometer.

Suunto is the nicest 100% digital ABC watch, but all these functions without dials, would be a waste of money for me.

I appreciate not to change batteries every year (I had a Casio barometer watch 15 years ago, and every 18 months I had to pay 50 to 75$ just to change the battery, and to get it waterproof certified), that is why I think that solar powered watches could be a smart choice.
Wave Ceptor is a bonus, to have accuracy...;-)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I think there is no smaller and thinner solar ana-digi Protrek or Casio with a barometer right now. There was the older PRG-60 but I don't know how big it is - I'm on the hunt for one of those because it is AFAIK the only ana-digi solar Casio with an EL-illumination that illuminates the whole display.
PRG-60YT-1V - 04.jpg photo - ozmobiles photos at pbase.com
I'm no big expert so far on other brands offering that in a good bang-for-the-buck quality I'm afraid.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Yes, I'd also consider that too much. I'd be willing to spend around 50-60€ on one in slightly used condition but certainly not more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sedi has made some great suggestions.

Personally, I think that though watch barometer readings are generally rather accurate, I don't trust the weather prediction features at all. My eyes make much more accurate predictions.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The only trouble with going solar is that you will be faced with some power limitations in usage. I'd suggest learning how to change the batteries and reseal the watch yourself and avoid solar altogether. Otherwise, if going solar, I'd avoid atomic models. If you end up with an atomic model, turn the auto sync off.

And as far as Tech4O goes, avoid them like the plague. Their ABC interface just outright sucks to hell and back, compared to Suunto and CASIO.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not really understand your answer xevious about avoiding solar and atomic....what kind of power limitations would I have ? Do you mean that atomic+ ABC functions require a level of energy that a solar watch is not capable to handle ?

Living in Europe, I don't have access to amazon.com.....so Tech4O is not an option anymore (way too expensive in Europe vs USA). Suunto and Casio are the only serious ABC I would envisage to buy.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I did not really understand your answer xevious about avoiding solar and atomic....what kind of power limitations would I have? Do you mean that atomic+ ABC functions require a level of energy that a solar watch is not capable to handle ?
I apologize for being a bit vague. Solar powered watches have special batteries in them that aren't as robust as non-solar watches. They don't store all the energy needed for the watch across a multi-year period. They are specially designed to take a trickle charge from the solar cells and "refill" this way. A single full charge on the watch lasts much less (hence the need for light to recharge it). So, with a solar equipped watch CASIO cuts back on a few things, like shortening the duration of timers and length of illumination time (e.g. 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds). Also, the functions in ABC watches like the altimeter and barometer have a high drain on the battery. You will need to be prudent with giving the watch adequate sun exposure to keep it going with a full charge. If you use them lightly, then it's not a big deal. But if you're planning to do a lot of outdoor excursions and frequently make use of the functions, I'd suggest going with non-solar. The atomic feature also presents extra power drain, but it always comes with solar.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I apologize for being a bit vague. Solar powered watches have special batteries in them that aren't as robust as non-solar watches. They don't store all the energy needed for the watch across a multi-year period. They are specially designed to take a trickle charge from the solar cells and "refill" this way. A single full charge on the watch lasts much less (hence the need for light to recharge it). So, with a solar equipped watch CASIO cuts back on a few things, like shortening the duration of timers and length of illumination time (e.g. 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds). Also, the functions in ABC watches like the altimeter and barometer have a high drain on the battery. You will need to be prudent with giving the watch adequate sun exposure to keep it going with a full charge. If you use them lightly, then it's not a big deal. But if you're planning to do a lot of outdoor excursions and frequently make use of the functions, I'd suggest going with non-solar. The atomic feature also presents extra power drain, but it always comes with solar.
You seem to be infected with the "cal..45"-virus :-d:-d (btw. I consider Holger a friend and have learned a lot from his posts but I don't share his opinion when it comes to the criticism of Casio's solar technology). IMHO the main downside of Casio ABCs is not solar, short illumination (strange - my PRW-1200 can be set for 3 sec) or short timers but the missing MSLP (mean sea level pressure) and I don't really think that has anything to do with powerdrain. Btw: my PRW-1200 charges very fast - faster than any other solar Casio I have - it is also always the 1st to wake up from "power safe"-mode - which means that the solar panel on that one is highly effective. And if you're using it outdoors and wearing it over a jacket I don't think there'll ever be any problem with the power. I also don't think that the length of the timer has anything to do with solar vs. non-solar - there are more than enough Protreks with 24 hr timers and also quite a few with 3 sec illumination. For me the main weakness really is the implementation of the alti-baro functions, missing MSLP and missing alti-lock and I don't really think all of those features would require that much extra power. I also don't see why rechargeable batteries should be less "robust". Sure the power stored in them doesn't last more than a year without recharge - still you can't just compare them to a normal battery like Holger often does - comparing mAh values of rechargeable batteries and standard batteries - it would only make sense when you compare the mAh of a normal battery to the number of charge-discharge-cycles over the complete lifespan of a rechargeable battery. Just my 2 ct.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Hi Sedi,

Yeah, I know what it looks like... despite the fact that I usually argue against Holger in favor of solar. ;-) I wish I could remember the thread, but I'd read one member describing having both a non-solar and a solar Protrek, and that their impression was that the solar one felt "restrained" a bit in comparison. I should have indicated that I was just relaying experience, and that is is not my own. I've not yet owned a Protrek watch.

Anyway, I appreciate hearing what you say from your own experience, which I know is quite deep in the world of G-Shocks. I guess the storage capability of Protrek solar batteries has improved upon since the early models. Also good to hear about longer illumination with solar models too. If you're finding that they can be used heavily throughout a given day and recharge rather quickly, then it sounds like they are quite robust. I stand corrected! :-!

You seem to be infected with the "cal..45"-virus :-d:-d (btw. I consider Holger a friend and have learned a lot from his posts but I don't share his opinion when it comes to the criticism of Casio's solar technology). IMHO the main downside of Casio ABCs is not solar, short illumination (strange - my PRW-1200 can be set for 3 sec) or short timers but the missing MSLP (mean sea level pressure) and I don't really think that has anything to do with powerdrain. Btw: my PRW-1200 charges very fast - faster than any other solar Casio I have - it is also always the 1st to wake up from "power safe"-mode - which means that the solar panel on that one is highly effective. And if you're using it outdoors and wearing it over a jacket I don't think there'll ever be any problem with the power. I also don't think that the length of the timer has anything to do with solar vs. non-solar - there are more than enough Protreks with 24 hr timers and also quite a few with 3 sec illumination. For me the main weakness really is the implementation of the alti-baro functions, missing MSLP and missing alti-lock and I don't really think all of those features would require that much extra power. I also don't see why rechargeable batteries should be less "robust". Sure the power stored in them doesn't last more than a year without recharge - still you can't just compare them to a normal battery like Holger often does - comparing mAh values of rechargeable batteries and standard batteries - it would only make sense when you compare the mAh of a normal battery to the number of charge-discharge-cycles over the complete lifespan of a rechargeable battery. Just my 2 ct.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I should maybe put it to the test - the funny thing is however that the PRW-1200 is a rather old model - same functionality (+atomic reception) as the PRG-80 which some here (who know a lot more about ABCs and Pathfinders than I do) consider to be one of the best solar Pathfinders. The batteries on those are all the same - a CTL1616. On the PAW/PRW-1200 the solar panel is really big - guess that's the only reason it charges faster.
I could be wrong and the implementation of MSLP might really use a lot more power - after all the watch has to do a lot more calculating. What I consider another weakness besides the missing MSLP is also the logging. An X-Lander logs pressure and height for far longer (can't tell from the top of my head - but it logs the pressure for a few days not just hours like the Pathfinders). So - admitted that Casio lacks a lot of features - I'm just not sure they left them out because of energy consumption or just because they kept the functionality as simple as the older models (after all - the 1st Protreks were not solar). I wonder if they'll ever come out with a solar fully featured ABC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts