WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

The newest moonwatch is probably going to be my next watch. I'm probably going to go for the sapphire version just because I like looking at the movement, and sapphire is more "practical" to me. I have tried it on at an AD and it looked great on wrist. Anyway the 2 questions I had were:

1. Are any issues I should look out for? I remember people mentioning a sharp case/lugs/bracelet? and I've seen posts of pushers flying off, and problems with the movement... stuff like that. I wanted to know if these are overblown or are actual things to look out for? (some being way more obvious than others of course).

2. is it better to buy from an AD? (my AD is also my Rolex AD and they have been great, and "building my relationship" or whatever is really the only reason I'd buy it from them). I ask because there are some available online for a sizeable discount compared to retail (from new to lightly used).

·
Premium Member
50,461 Posts
If you go grey market make sure to see what, if any, warranty is offered as well as their refund and return policy.

An AD would be safer for this watch, but it will come at an additional cost, if you can locate what you want.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An AD would be safer for this watch, but it will come at an additional cost, if you can locate what you want.
depends On how much discount. Bring your online offer to your AD and negotiate.
Yeah I mean the discount is around £800-1000 looking around, but it's always grey dealers so it ranges from new with no warranty, or slightly used with x years left on a warranty. I think it'd be smarter to play it safe and get it from my AD.

No issues with putting my hesalite 3861 to work for 8 months

View attachment 16800059
That looks great, whenever I see the hesalite version in "real world" photos it makes me rethink whether or not to get it 😅

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the 3861 Hesalite as well and it's one of my favorite watches. The only issue that I know of for sure with the first ones off the line was some kind of bushing issue in the chronograph mechanism. My understanding is they came out with an update part for it last year and any watches that have had the issue are being taken care of under warranty. Also, I understand that Omega will replace any updated parts on a service visit as well. I'm not sure if there is a way to tell the manufacture date of a particular piece or what the exact date they started using the new bushing was. If you get one from an AD and it has not been sitting on the shelf for a year or more then I think you're pretty safe IMHO.

Some people have also complained about the sharp edges of the 3861 case. Only you can tell if this is a deal breaker after you've tried one on. I agree that the edges are definitely sharper than some of their other models but in my opinion, this issue was blown way out of proportion and I wear mine every day just fine. The edges do not really contact my wrist in a negative way so it's a non-issue for me.

I would not hesitate to pay a few dollars more and buy new from an AD just for the peace of mind in case something does go wrong. I think you're also pretty safe if you get a nice used one that was originally purchased through a legitimate channel and comes with a properly activated warranty card. I made the mistake of buying my very first Omega Seamaster years ago through the gray market and since it had the serial number removed, Omega would not even service it. YMMV but I will never buy gray market again any watch over 1000 USD.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hello!

The newest moonwatch is probably going to be my next watch. I'm probably going to go for the sapphire version just because I like looking at the movement, and sapphire is more "practical" to me. I have tried it on at an AD and it looked great on wrist. Anyway the 2 questions I had were:

1. Are any issues I should look out for? I remember people mentioning a sharp case/lugs/bracelet? and I've seen posts of pushers flying off, and problems with the movement... stuff like that. I wanted to know if these are overblown or are actual things to look out for? (some being way more obvious than others of course).

2. is it better to buy from an AD? (my AD is also my Rolex AD and they have been great, and "building my relationship" or whatever is really the only reason I'd buy it from them). I ask because there are some available online for a sizeable discount compared to retail (from new to lightly used).
1) There were issues with the movement originally causing the watch to stop shortly after the chronograph was engaged, but this was an issue that Omega acknowledged and fixed going forward starting around summer or fall of last year, so any new stock you buy today should be free of that issue.

As for the sharp edges, I think that issue was incredibly overblown. Yes, mine may be a little sharp, but those edges never come into contact with my wrist since the caseback lifts the watch up, so who cares?

Haven’t heard anything about pushers, but I do have a friend who had an 1861 that lost a pusher, so stuff happens.

2) My usual recommendation on buying grey market is to find out what the cost of a full service is from the manufacturer. If the discount is equal to or more than the cost of a service, then the discount may be worth it. That way in the unlikely event that you were to have a problem with the watch and needed to pay the manufacturer to service it, you’re not out of pocket any more than the cost of a brand new watch at MSRP. Of course, you should factor in what the actual price from the AD would be because they may discount as well.

That being said, I would be hesitant to buy the 3861 grey market due to the potential that you could be getting old stock that has the movement issue. If I thought there was an increased risk of having a problem and having to pay to fix it and go through the hassle, I’d avoid it.

You should check with ADs and see what kind of price they can give you. I always recommend calling Topper Jewelers. Rob, Heba, and everyone else there have always been great to work with and are very fair.

·
Premium Member
1,774 Posts
Congratulations on deciding to buy such a great watch! To answer your questions:
1) No issues that are not part of any watch out there. The actual number of watches with an issue is quite small
2) I would recommend going through your AD. As long as it’s not an Omega boutique, your AD should give some discount. So the actual difference should be closer to £300-£400. And the 5 year warranty and full set is totally worth this extra cost.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: coconutpolygon

·
Registered
56 Posts
About issues, it's what people said above.

The movement did have a bushing issue that was solved. Older stock ones might have the defective movement that should show up in the first few weeks if you use the chronograph a lot, but that will be fixed under warranty if needed. Newer ones should have the new bushing and be problem free. Mine is working flawlessly for four months.

Sharp edges were never a real problem, just an internet myth.

What I strongly recommend is that you take your time to choose carefully between sapphire and hesalite versions. I bought the sapphire version and sometimes I wish I had bought the hesalite one – other times I don't.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some people have also complained about the sharp edges of the 3861 case.
The sharp edge thing was definitely blown out of proportion
Yeah I've tried on the watch a couple times and nothing felt sharp to me, so I thought it could be something that's only on some specific pieces... but I guess it's just blown out of proportion like most watch-critiques 😅. I think I'm going to go try it again and make a final decision. Hopefully looking to buy it in a month or two after I get some bigger expenses out of the way.

I was also considering a FOIS if one pops up at a reasonable price, but after seeing comparisons between this one and that one - I think the FOIS has longer lugs. One of the main reasons I'd want a FOIS was because I have a ton of 19mm straps 😂.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What I strongly recommend is that you take your time to choose carefully between sapphire and hesalite versions. I bought the sapphire version and sometimes I wish I had bought the hesalite one – other times I don't.
yeah this is something I really need to think about, all my other watches have sapphire but if I take out the durability/resistance to scratches out of the equation I definitely prefer the look of the hesalite. but then I can't see the movement, and I prefer the polished links and the applied logo on the sapphire... I think for my sanity the sapphire would be the way to go... because I know myself and eventually I'd want to get a vintage speedmaster and that definitely won't be sapphire.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would recommend going through your AD. As long as it’s not an Omega boutique, your AD should give some discount. So the actual difference should be closer to £300-£400. And the 5 year warranty and full set is totally worth this extra cost.
I didn't consider this, I'll ask for one when I'm ready to buy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yeah I've tried on the watch a couple times and nothing felt sharp to me, so I thought it could be something that's only on some specific pieces... but I guess it's just blown out of proportion like most watch-critiques 😅. I think I'm going to go try it again and make a final decision. Hopefully looking to buy it in a month or two after I get some bigger expenses out of the way.

I was also considering a FOIS if one pops up at a reasonable price, but after seeing comparisons between this one and that one - I think the FOIS has longer lugs. One of the main reasons I'd want a FOIS was because I have a ton of 19mm straps 😂.
The sharp edges were "noticeable" over the previous generation, but nothing that was going to impact wearability, unless...

You have a very hairy wrist and you wear your bracelet a bit loose. The slide that would create, could potentially cause those sharp edges to hair pull and I suspect that was more noticeable to those who complained initially.

If the watch is worn a bit snugg, it would never be an issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow. Do grey market dealers (Jomashop for example), still remove serial numbers?
I don't really know because I have never bought gray market since :rolleyes: Of the 5 Omegas I've purchases since that one, I either got from Omega Boutique, Omega.com official site (it was the only place that had a particular piece in stock at the time) or my local jeweler who is an AD. The best experience all around was from my local AD as well as the best price on a new piece.

It's not the end of the world though if Omega refuses to service a watch because it's gray market. I just had the watch serviced by a local watch maker that has a Swatch/Omega parts account instead.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts