WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Zero issues on my end. Runs like a dream and no sharp edges/corners or hair pulling or anything else. Only minor quibble is the lack of micro-adjustment clasp, but we'll survive.
I think I saw people replacing the clasp with another Omega clasp that does have micro adjustment, I might look into doing that if I can't get a perfect fit. but I think with how small the links are I shouldn't have an issue with fitment.

·
Registered
Seikosha
1,745 Posts
Easy,

If you're trying to get more Rolexes, then stick with the AD. If you want to eventually be able to get special edition like Snoopy or Ed White Omegas then you need to go buy at the boutique.

If you're in it for the discount, then hunt for the 25% off deals.

Hello!

The newest moonwatch is probably going to be my next watch. I'm probably going to go for the sapphire version just because I like looking at the movement, and sapphire is more "practical" to me. I have tried it on at an AD and it looked great on wrist. Anyway the 2 questions I had were:

1. Are any issues I should look out for? I remember people mentioning a sharp case/lugs/bracelet? and I've seen posts of pushers flying off, and problems with the movement... stuff like that. I wanted to know if these are overblown or are actual things to look out for? (some being way more obvious than others of course).

2. is it better to buy from an AD? (my AD is also my Rolex AD and they have been great, and "building my relationship" or whatever is really the only reason I'd buy it from them). I ask because there are some available online for a sizeable discount compared to retail (from new to lightly used).

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I made the mistake of buying my very first Omega Seamaster years ago through the gray market and since it had the serial number removed, Omega would not even service it. YMMV but I will never buy gray market again any watch over 1000 USD.
Wow that's crazy. And yeah I'm not surprised Omega wanted nothing to do with it. I would've sent it back.

I can't think of a good reason to remove the serial number apart from hiding dubious provenance.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Like others mentioned don't buy grey unless you get a significant discount.
I am yet to see used / grey model advertised for less than what I paid mine new from an AD. Shop around, and try to negotiate with several ADs if you can, the Speedy can be found everywhere and there is plenty of stock available, so do shop around and do your homework.

For the sharpness, the case part is not an issue for me, but I find the bracelet a bit scratchy and with sharp / rough edges when putting it on.
I get around it by holding the watch from the case and then slide it around my wrist. Once it's on it's very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG, Omega Speedmaster Co-Axial Sapphire 3861
4,193 Posts
You buy from AD which is present on Omega website, or OB. No problem whatsoever with this watch.
Several $$ you probably can save from grey don't worth the potential trouble.

·
Registered
436 Posts
1. Bought the sapphire version last year. Perfect watch, perfect timing. The bracelet is lovely, but i’ve enjoyed trying other straps, incuding the Forstner bracelet. I agree sapphire is the choice if you like seeing the movement and durability.

2. Look at a sponsor on this forum, ask for a deal. Maybe 10% off.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think I saw people replacing the clasp with another Omega clasp that does have micro adjustment, I might look into doing that if I can't get a perfect fit. but I think with how small the links are I shouldn't have an issue with fitment.
I think you can no longer order the parts to make that change. I was thinking about it myself but the latest reports in that thread have been less than confidence-inspiring. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah I've tried on the watch a couple times and nothing felt sharp to me, so I thought it could be something that's only on some specific pieces... but I guess it's just blown out of proportion like most watch-critiques 😅. I think I'm going to go try it again and make a final decision. Hopefully looking to buy it in a month or two after I get some bigger expenses out of the way.

I was also considering a FOIS if one pops up at a reasonable price, but after seeing comparisons between this one and that one - I think the FOIS has longer lugs. One of the main reasons I'd want a FOIS was because I have a ton of 19mm straps 😂.
Hi. Congrats on the idea of being the proud owner of an Omega Speedmaster Pro ;-)
That watch has a special place in my heart, since I looked down at that very dial, on most of my lifes most important events, ever since I purchased my first one, (of a comrades hand, for an insanely low price) 30 years ago.
Through the years, I was in the lucky position to acquire a couple more of my favorite watch, from varius decades.
Now, I share most of what people on here have to say about the Speedy, but the fact, that people call the issue with the sharp edges on the case "overblown", surprises me. Granted my 3861 is one of the early ones, it, from all my five Speedmasters feels "the cheepest". The case just is not up to were the older models are. Might be the fact, that mine is an early one, and Omega might have changed it in the process, but if not, i´m really surprised about the amount of acceptance from most other owners. I might be biased in a negative way, since my 3861 also was the only Speedy, that I had to send in, after just receiving it, for repairs and some cosmetic stuff. Ran at +1 seconds when I send it of, running +8 seconds after receiving it back... Don´t mind, since I usually don´t time my life on seconds, but overall disappointing, since I always thought, that one can buy a Speedy "off the shelf", and know exactly what you get.
Sorry for getting a lil sentimental here, didn´t mean to rant, or smaller anybody elses excitement or impression of the 3861. Just my thoughts after having a crush on this watch for the biggest part of my life. Cheers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I never had any problems with mine.

I would pay attention to the sale ads on this forum. You can find some worthwhile prices on AD-purchased watches. When I was hunting for mine, I created a couple of keyword searches that I ran every day. One day, I had a hit and soon an unworn watch.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi. Congrats on the idea of being the proud owner of an Omega Speedmaster Pro ;-)
That watch has a special place in my heart, since I looked down at that very dial, on most of my lifes most important events, ever since I purchased my first one, (of a comrades hand, for an insanely low price) 30 years ago.
Through the years, I was in the lucky position to acquire a couple more of my favorite watch, from varius decades.
Now, I share most of what people on here have to say about the Speedy, but the fact, that people call the issue with the sharp edges on the case "overblown", surprises me. Granted my 3861 is one of the early ones, it, from all my five Speedmasters feels "the cheepest". The case just is not up to were the older models are. Might be the fact, that mine is an early one, and Omega might have changed it in the process, but if not, i´m really surprised about the amount of acceptance from most other owners. I might be biased in a negative way, since my 3861 also was the only Speedy, that I had to send in, after just receiving it, for repairs and some cosmetic stuff. Ran at +1 seconds when I send it of, running +8 seconds after receiving it back... Don´t mind, since I usually don´t time my life on seconds, but overall disappointing, since I always thought, that one can buy a Speedy "off the shelf", and know exactly what you get.
Sorry for getting a lil sentimental here, didn´t mean to rant, or smaller anybody elses excitement or impression of the 3861. Just my thoughts after having a crush on this watch for the biggest part of my life. Cheers.
For the finish of the speedy in what way do you feel it's the cheapest ?

I have 4 Omega, and it's not better / not worse than the other I own (PO2500, AT8500, SMP300M Diver, and Speedy 3861).
Very well finished in every aspects. As mentioned for me the issue is more the rough edges on the bracelet, but it's an issue with the design, not the finish...

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the finish of the speedy in what way do you feel it's the cheapest ?

I have 4 Omega, and it's not better / not worse than the other I own (PO2500, AT8500, SMP300M Diver, and Speedy 3861).
Very well finished in every aspects. As mentioned for me the issue is more the rough edges on the bracelet, but it's an issue with the design, not the finish...
Hi. It´s simply the finishing of the case that just seems "unfinished". To be clear, it certainly does not affect me while wearing it, which I do very frequently. Though I absolutely understand the complaints from people that got their hands on early production models. I guess Omega must have changed/found their routine on finishing these cases within the first couple of month. I´m curious to stop by the AD eventually, and handle one of the "fresh" ones.
As my 1970´s Speedy has been on the 1479 bracelet, which is so similar to the new one, I wear my 3861 on the 1450.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi. It´s simply the finishing of the case that just seems "unfinished". To be clear, it certainly does not affect me while wearing it, which I do very frequently. Though I absolutely understand the complaints from people that got their hands on early production models. I guess Omega must have changed/found their routine on finishing these cases within the first couple of month. I´m curious to stop by the AD eventually, and handle one of the "fresh" ones.
As my 1970´s Speedy has been on the 1479 bracelet, which is so similar to the new one, I wear my 3861 on the 1450.
I would be interested to see what you consider unfinished on the case. I have a hard time to find something that could be remotely considered "unfinished". (At least one mine)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would be interested to see what you consider unfinished on the case. I have a hard time to find something that could be remotely considered "unfinished". (At least one mine)
I'm just guessing but they might be equating non-radius edges as unfinished in the sense that they omitted the last step in the process of dulling the sharp edges. I don't disagree that the edges are sharp on the 3861. Perhaps even sharp enough to cut my space suit when wearing it on the moon. :) But, I just think it's the style they chose for this version of the watch. I personally would not used the word unfinished to describe it.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'm just guessing but they might be equating non-radius edges as unfinished in the sense that they omitted the last step in the process of dulling the sharp edges. I don't disagree that the edges are sharp on the 3861. Perhaps even sharp enough to cut my space suit when wearing it on the moon. :) But, I just think it's the style they chose for this version of the watch. I personally would not used the word unfinished to describe it.
Exactly, it's just a design choice, nothing to do with the finish. In the same way as the case and bracelet of the last generation SMP 300M Diver is more square and thus "sharper", it just gives the watch a more modern look. It's just a different styling, but the actual finish and details if anything is actually better than earlier models.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Exactly, it's just a design choice, nothing to do with the finish. In the same way as the case and bracelet of the last generation SMP 300M Diver is more square and thus "sharper", it just gives the watch a more modern look. It's just a different styling, but the actual finish and details if anything is actually better than earlier models.
I’d call the edges “crisp” rather than “sharp” since it’s clear to me that it’s a design choice rather than a failure to properly finish it. That said, I would have preferred slightly more rounded off edges on my 3861. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I’d call the edges “crisp” rather than “sharp” since it’s clear to me that it’s a design choice rather than a failure to properly finish it. That said, I would have preferred slightly more rounded off edges on my 3861. :)
As long as, the watch doesn't hurt to wear, that's fine. I've had problems with IWC deployant clasps in the past as the sharp edges dig into my skin. Not a show stopper, but not the most comfortable wear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the discount we talking about that is like the point of insta buy for you guys? Would of asked what is the good area of expected price for these at current ad's, but thought this was a less personal way of asking ;).

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is the discount we talking about that is like the point of insta buy for you guys? Would of asked what is the good area of expected price for these at current ad's, but thought this was a less personal way of asking ;).
Discounts seem to be drying up lately in some areas. My AD told me that Omega is taking steps to reduce the amount of wiggle room dealers have. This could be complete BS, I don’t have any way to verify. There’s only one AD in my area LOL. We used to have a boutique but that’s closed now. They only sold at strictly retail price of course. I was able to get about 15% off on a piece about 18 months ago at the AD and recently, the best they would do was to cover the sales tax of 6%. People have also said that the size of the discount varies with the piece’s popularity as well so your mileage may vary. I would think that the moon watch would be right up there as far as popularity goes.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts