WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As my priorities have changed, I'm considering to end watch collecting. Maybe about ten years ago I started with VCM, but little by little my interest turned to vintage Russians. In the last three or four years I haven't bought a single Chinese watch. The watches I've collected stay in their tables:

IMG_20201007_133801.jpg IMG_20201007_134401.jpg

Mainly they are simple Tong-Ji watches, but I tried to find as much different brands as possible. Also there are some more rare examples (even five years ago they were rare ;)):

IMG_20201007_133859.jpg IMG_20201007_133904.jpg IMG_20201007_133908.jpg IMG_20201007_133957.jpg

IMG_20201007_134116.jpg IMG_20201007_134247.jpg IMG_20201007_134421.jpg IMG_20201007_134433.jpg

The same I plan with my Russian vintages, but I have the sources and the info, needed for this.
So I'm looking for an advice - where to find a place, where such watches sells, so I can find out about the actual prices. Taobao is a choice, but as I'm not Chinese-speaking, searching there will be very difficult and time-consuming.
And where is the best place to try selling? Here in WUS sales section I'm sure there will be minimum to zero attention. eBay? I have an account there with more than 2000 feedback at 100%, do you think there will be some demand?

Here are some additional photos of the tables:

IMG_20201007_134142.jpg IMG_20201007_133818.jpg IMG_20201007_133839.jpg

IMG_20201007_133946.jpg IMG_20201007_134051.jpg IMG_20201007_134212.jpg

I'm from Bulgaria, EU. But I can ship worldwide.

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
So sorry to hear but I can see why and russian watches are just as numerous. If only that euro millions would come up. I'm afraid no advice and or guidance but as you are already a seasoned seller you know to get the money first before delivery. That is such a wonderful and rare collection it would be a shame to split but there you go. Not sure but perhaps Ron may be interested in some for the Alberta museum in peace River or him or Hked may know of some reliable contacts who would be interested. Good luck whatever you decide and thanks for sharing your wonderful collection over the years.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not sure if you want to keep the collection together, but I'm definitely interested in your textured zhongshan dials! If you're okay with it, I can PM you separately.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Sorry to see you go. It's a beautiful collection. I have no advice, but please let us know what you decide to do.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,073 Posts
It's a spectacular collection. I'm with saskwatch. I have no advice except to check Taobao or other Chinese websites for current VCM pricing.

I'd love to buy the collection intact--it's that good, but I certainly couldn't offer what it was worth. Please, as saskwatch asks, please let us know what you plan.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a spectacular collection. I'm with saskwatch. I have no advice except to check Taobao or other Chinese websites for current VCM pricing.

I'd love to buy the collection intact--it's that good, but I certainly couldn't offer what it was worth. Please, as saskwatch asks, please let us know what you plan.
Thank you for the nice words. Yes, I remember that it took a lot of my time to search, translate from Chinese, negotiate, move all parcels through customs (only I know what it took me to explain to a customer employee why somebody in Bulgaria will need to import 30 pcs of vintage hand-winding Chinese watches :) ), inspecting, maintaining, sorting,etc...

First to specify, that all the watches are working. When obtained, they were inspected and maintained (by me, as an amateur). Currently some may have dried oil and work not so excellent, but are without damages.

So I think I have these options:
1. Sell the whole collection intact. The problems is - where to find a buyer :)? Also the watches are 185 pcs., weight will be about 10 kg. shipping will be difficult and expensive.
And I don't know how a payment can be arranged, as I expect the price will be more than allowed via Paypal (maybe some kind of escrow service via bank?). I understand that the buyer will want to inspect all the watches on arrival, which will take a lot of time, before clearing the escrow.
2. Sell in lots, as example in 5-10 pcs. The problems are that most probably a potential buyer will want 2 or 3 watches, not all 10. Or the price of all 10 should be as for 3.
3. Sell individually. The rare models maybe will find new home in forums, the common will have to go to eBay. It's a huge task, a lot of work, and probably the most profitable.

I'll wait few more days to send some PMs here and there, and most probably will start the option 3. If somebody's interest of some of the watches, please let me know, better in PM. I'll do detailed pictures of every watch interested. I'm ready to receive offers, I'll consider every one, and when (if) I begin selling separately, will inform each of the senders.

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
1,881 Posts
Some people donate their art collections to a museum. Of course, if you could use the money (and who couldn't), and you think there is some likelihood you could see a reasonable return on the selling effort, then that is not an option. Otherwise, maybe Albertatime would be open to creating a new Miroman wing of his museum dedicated to your collection?
Or he could ask his Chinese contacts if there is a Chinese watch collectors club or museum that would be interested in acquiring the collection? Maybe one of the original factories, if they still exist?

Selling them one by one seems like a huge effort, not really worth the time investment if you are not collecting anymore, except maybe for the tourbillon and a few other modern pieces (I think I see another forum watch there?); those same pieces also wouldn't be interesting from a VCM standpoint anyway, so they should be sold off separately.

The value of the collection is also (or maybe even mostly) in the description and the acquisition history; you are essentially saving somebody 100s of hours of work to put together a VCM collection. Regarding potential collectors: a quick google finds this: Collectors watch as the value of China's timepieces rises[1]|chinadaily.com.cn There must be even more Chinese watch collectors in China (and the worldwide Chinese diaspora) now. Can you post on that forum (watchlead) using google translate?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Well, about the donation - I wish I could afford it. I'm afraid I can't for now.
About the article in China Daily - it's ten years old :). Probably the forum still exists, I couldn't find the exact address. But I'm pretty sure a big part of my watches are common in China, so I don't think there's any chance to be sold there.
I tried to search on Taobao. But I don't have a profile there (that shows how long I've not been there :D).
When I try to create a new, it asks me for a phone number, and waits to enter the confirm code, which I have to receive within 60 seconds. But I don't receive anything at all, not only in 60 seconds. And so I can't create a profile.
Most standard google searches about VCM lead here on WUS :cool:.
I already received an offer for the collection, but as I expected, it's not even closer to what I expected.
So obviously part by part the watches will go to eBay. It's a huge task, but I'm not in a hurry. I'll start with the common ones, leaving the more rare models for the end (who knows, I may change my mind somehere in time)
I'd like to thank very much to all that helped me with advises.
Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Good luck , take your time and always check the buyer.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts