WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. As the title states, I am looking for an Amphibia no-date. I usually browse the affordable forum, f71. And of course, the Vostok Amphibia gets quite a bit of praise over there and I figure it is time to get one.

First, I am not overly familiar with Russian watches and the full line of the Amphibia. Second, I am pretty put-off by the lack of quick-set date, hence why I am interested in a no-date version.

So please show me my options for a no-date Amphibia. I can go either way between the regular and ministry cases. I prefer a black or blue dial. My favorite is the black-dial scuba dude.

Thank you!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The Meranom "SE" line of Amphibians is about the best so far that i have seen. I've seen a few other base-model no dates, but the "SE" line is about perfect unless you pursue the 1967 special edition from a few years ago.

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I am awaiting the no date SE from Meranom. The inability to find an no date option that I liked was what kept me from adding one sooner. The SE is just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't rely on meranom's notifications- I signed up and didn't receive anything when they came into stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Font
I was on a mission to avoid date windows too. I like switching watches here & there and really don't need a date feature. Your best bets are some of the 090 Scuba Dudes and Radio Room dials. I finally got my Radio Room white dial in a 100 case (pictured) and I love it! I even like the stock Vostok engineer-type bracelet that came with it. I found it easy to size (it's not like the normal pin deal) and not a hair-puller ... though I don't have hairy "Robin Williams" arms. I actually put the stock band on after this pic and have been using it since. The other style Vostok strap that came with my Scuba dude is chintzy.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
My two-tone blue Scuba dude (also pictured) also lacks a date window. I have that on a leather strap, though I plan on changing that out with a silicone/rubber strap that has some thickness at the lugs. I have lean wrists, so a meaty band will help fill things out.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I can take or leave a date window ..... On these, it is honestly mostly a hassle. I don't tend to wear one watch more than a day or two then switch it up. Setting the date isn't hard just annoying. I have a couple without a date and a few with. I don't let it dissuade me from a watch I like one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Vostok Amphbia watches are usually described by a six digit number. The first three numbers refers to the case style, and the second three refer to the dial design. The 510 no-date dial is used in several Amphibias...here is my 710 case with the 510 dial...hence you can find this watch online by searching for vostok 710510....I've also seen this dial in the 420 case (so, 420510) and others.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to set it. I like the lack of clutter of a no-date dial but there are too many nice soviets out there that have the date function and no quick-set to ignore them:
I can understand Soviet era watches having a date function. Decades ago, before smartphones, it was pretty cool to have a watch with a date window. While everybody else would have to refer to a calendar or the daily paper to figure out what date to put on the check they were writing, you'd casually glance at your wrist.

But with a modern watch - why? Is it just for the sake of tradition?

It reminds me of a news article I read the other day - many new electric cars still have something that looks like a radiator grill in front becasue car buyers expect a car to have a grill!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can understand Soviet era watches having a date function. Decades ago, before smartphones, it was pretty cool to have a watch with a date window. While everybody else would have to refer to a calendar or the daily paper to figure out what date to put on the check they were writing, you'd casually glance at your wrist.

But with a modern watch - why? Is it just for the sake of tradition?

It reminds me of a news article I read the other day - many new electric cars still have something that looks like a radiator grill in front becasue car buyers expect a car to have a grill!
I still reflexively look at my wrist when I need to know the date, because 40 years of doing it has made it second nature. Some of my watches have a date, some don't, but I do find it useful, and easier than fishing my smartphone out of my bag or pocket. But hey, I'm old.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't prefer the date ..... but it isn't a deal killer for me either. Certain ones like a 090 would just seem "wrong" if it had a date window in my book, but if I like the case/dial combo than I will buy it regardless of the date. Really, its not that big a deal to me. Half the time I ignore it anyway.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
I still reflexively look at my wrist when I need to know the date, because 40 years of doing it has made it second nature. Some of my watches have a date, some don't, but I do find it useful, and easier than fishing my smartphone out of my bag or pocket. But hey, I'm old.
I'm pretty old, too, but I can usually remember for the rest of the day what the date is after one glance at something, paper, phone, etc., in the morning (I might even remember what the date was yesterday and add one day to it!). It's going to be the same date all day long.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Yeah, just because it's there doesn't mean you have to set it.
I hate to disagree with such a respected member but yes it does mean set the date . Drives me insane.

I'm the same. Really annoying when I need the date and its not there.
I'm pretty old, too, but I can usually remember for the rest of the day what the date is after one glance at something, paper, phone, etc., in the morning
I can't remember 5 minutes later.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts