WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I already bought 3 watches this year, all three in different genres: Steinhart Ocean Black, Daniel Wellington and Antoine Arnaud (white).
But now i'm looking for a dress watch that has a little more Height, like the Patek Philippes, preferably a Chronograph.
I love the style of the ALS Chrono Flyback and the Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar chronograph, but i'm looking for sub 600€ (788$).
This is the style i would want, a dress watch with a bit more height (as my Daniel Wellington is really flat).
4520_Patek-Philippe-Chronograph-mit-ewigem-Kalender.jpg CleverlyForHODINKEE-14_1024x1024.jpg
PS: i like unknown (to non-wis) brands, like the watches i already have ;)
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Strela:

Definitely falls into the category of "unknown brand (among non-WIS)". And the current price is 495, so that falls within your budget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies!
So far i like the Orient Monterey and the Strela the most. I know this may seem weird, but i'm not sure i would want a russian watch, a logo is something important and if i don't like the logo its a big push from buying..
I've checked Laco for some watches and they have a Perfect watch! Too bad its 1.600€...
(the laco chronograph: https://shop.laco.de/en/Chronographs/Valjoux-44-rosegold.html)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zeppelin has a couple if you don't mind quartz.
I completely forgot about Zeppelin, i've heard of them about a year ago.
Never really heard if the quality is ok. I don't mind quartz at all.
Do you know more about Zeppelin?

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Zeppelin watches are made by POINTtec, a German company that was created 25 years ago to produce decent quality affordable watches Made in Germany, unlike many other Gemasian mushroom brands that started popping up at that time. Interestingly, they also have a long list of companies and organizations that had watches made for them by PONITtec (Bosch, Siemens, Audi, Volkswagen, Lufthansa, Air France, Bundeswehr, NATO, KFOR, SFOR, ISAF and German Navy, according to their website).

I have two Junkers watches and I'm really happy with the quality. Customer service was good, too. Only the references to Hugo Junkers and Graf Zeppelin are pure marketing. The Zeppelin watches are not related to the Zeppelin Foundation or Zeppelin GmbH in any way (at least as far as I know).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a fairly entry level Zeppelin - the 7642-1. It is a very solid, and well assembled watch. Leather strap could be better, though I would think that it gets better for the higher end models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
christopher ward malvern 2 quartz

literally the best watch for the price in terms of classy elegant dress watches, can be worn casually as well

truly a great watch

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do like that Christopher ward too, but it may be a bit too sterile for me, as i'm looking for a beefier dress watch.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Clearly, you want the Patek Philippe, and you should not settle for anything less. Sell your house and car, then rob a bank so you can have The Real Thing. I'm told this is the ultimate watch to pass down to one's kids, as well.

All joking aside, I bet Parnis makes a homage that is close to that.

Check ebay for Sea-Gull. They make a lot of elegant, thicker watches.

Here are my two:

M308S:

M186S:

Fee-bay has a bunch more, many of which are more complicated, which you seem to also like. These days, I'm liking the ones which at first glance seem to be faux chronos, but upon closer inspection just use subdials to point out day, date, and month.

The M308S was around $420, and the M186S was around $125.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thank you for the replies!
So far i like the Orient Monterey and the Strela the most. I know this may seem weird, but i'm not sure i would want a russian watch, a logo is something important and if i don't like the logo its a big push from buying..
I've checked Laco for some watches and they have a Perfect watch! Too bad its 1.600€...
(the laco chronograph: https://shop.laco.de/en/Chronographs/Valjoux-44-rosegold.html)
This is strange "a logo is something important" because Strela is actually very important and historical as you say "logo" brand. Strela is much better watch than the other suggestions IMHO. It is space watch and is very respectable among the collectors.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Oh, maybe this one could be another option:

Chr2si.jpg

Pic from Boehm-Uhren

It's a very cool mechanical chrono with the fabulous Seagull ST19 movement, a copy of the 1960s Swiss Venus 175. And Boehm is a truely unknown watch brand, even to most WIS..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is strange "a logo is something important" because Strela is actually very important and historical as you say "logo" brand. Strela is much better watch than the other suggestions IMHO. It is space watch and is very respectable among the collectors.

Good luck! :)
I know it is a respectable brand, but it is the logo itself that i don't really like.. And if you always see the logo when looking at the watch, you don't want that logo to be something you don't like ;)
That vintage strela is really nice btw!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts