WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I know about this clock is that my grandfather asked his sister to bring it back to the US from France some time no later than the late 1980s. My impression is that he had already brokered the deal and his sister was just taking delivery. Besides what the pictures show, that's all I know. My grandfather was, from what I can tell, a fairly discriminating antiques collector, so I'm assuming he felt the clock was (or would be) worth something. Since he passed away, the clock has been something of a white elephant, passing from family member to family member. I'd like to get some info about it so I can be informed when seeking out an appraiser/dealer in order to offload it--if it's even worth enough to bother doing that. Any guidance is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The movement is not so old (for that kind of clock). I'd say early 20th century.
The case is crackled, it must be repaired.
The dial is in bad shape as well.
The weight is missing (that's the easy part).

Remove the small screw in front of you: you'll be able to see markings, and weight length engraved on the main plate.
BTW it seems this screw is upside down.

20190628_184303.jpg

Even repaired, there's no real value in this, sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. While it would have been nice to be able to get something for it, I appreciate your insight. Now at least I know I can dispose of it without regrets.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You're very welcome.

Keep it just as it is in your family for the souvenir, or why not donating it to a charity ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
With other pieces and decorations from the time, it would look great in a gentlemen's study.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts