WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here, I thought I'd ask around here to get some more input. I've been looking for a good all purpose watch for quite a while now.

It needs to be:

-classic and timeless (not too modern)
-sporty
-steel bracelet
-preferably black dial
-preferably a chronograph
-automatic

So of course the Omega watches (Speedmaster, Seamaster) and also the Tag Heuer Carrera come to mind and I do like them.. but aren't there any others? don't worry too much about the price for now..will figure that out later :)

I've added the Victorinox Classic Chrono which also has the right look kind of..

Thanks already, can't wait for your suggestions! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'd wait a month or so and get the new Tag 1887. No pics, but just do a search for "1887" - there are plenty of pics around the forum. It's a beautiful watch with Tag's new in-house movement.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You're on the right track with the speedy :-!

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Many companies such as George J. Von Burg, Phillip (Sector), and Sinn, uses the Valjoux 7750 movement, which IMHO is a very reliable, robust, and a lot of value for the money. The Speedy is a good candidate of the ones listed so far~Cheers! ;-)

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,684 Posts
Hundreds out there which all will fit your requirements

- Sinn
- Damasko
- Longinges
- Oris
- Ernst Benz
- Guinand
- Archimede
- Limes
- Omega
- Junkers
- Zeno
- Chronoswiss
- Glashütte Original
- UN
- MarcelloC
- Steinhart
- Breitling
- IWC
- Porsche Design
- Eterna
- Tissot
- Sector
- Hamilton
- Stowa
- Schauer
to start with.

What is your max price ?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
consider the breitling superocean chrono. it is simply an all-around great watch that does eveything well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ mike:

you're right, but they do have to look somewhat like the ones I've posted too! :)

to narrow it down further:

-preferably swiss made
-lower limit (since I want an automatic) I guess is 700-800 euros
-upper limit: 1500-2000 but 2000 is a lot of money for a watch I think..so I'd have to save money for quite some time, let's but it that way..

@ novedl:

the breitling isn't too bad, but it's also quite pricey isn't it

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
purchased new yes, but purchased preloved it's a great buy. i honestly think that anyone who owns this piece has made one of the most sensible purchases possible. it's a suggestion i would make to a good friend becuse i believe in the product!!
good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well most I mentioned have a model which looks similar. Sinn 103, Sinn 903. Damasko DC 66, Mido All Dial to list some.
yeah again you're right, they do look somewhat similar, maybe just not similar enough ;)

thanks already for all the suggestions, if you have any more ideas though, don't hesitate :)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I'd wait a month or so and get the new Tag 1887. No pics, but just do a search for "1887" - there are plenty of pics around the forum. It's a beautiful watch with Tag's new in-house movement.
+1, I am waiting to check this watch out in person too. It's a beauty and will be a true classic in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
+1, I am waiting to check this watch out in person too. It's a beauty and will be a true classic in the future.

well I agree it's nice! dunno if I like this one better or the old one though..

will the old one be discontinued then? the one with the bezel?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I do not think the old one will be discontinued, this one will just be added. This oen actually originally came with a tachymeter on the bezel but Tag Heuer removed it, which I think it a good idea as it improves the cleaner look while the older chrono stays in the line-up for those still looking for that design. The 1887 just gives a dressier option in the TH Carrera Chrono line-up.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
VC Overseas
Rolex Daytona
IWC Pilot Chrono
IWC TopGun
GO Senator Chrono
GO SPort Evolution Chrono
GO Senator Sixties
Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Flyback Chrono
Hublot Big Bang
APRO Chrono

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
those are all very nice nightscar, but they're all really expensive too :(

but that's ok, I said don't worry about the price :)

@acello: yeah I know, just threw that one in there because it's got the right look. probably a "copy" of the carrera or the GO sport evo. but I'm not gonna buy another quartz.. need to find a good auto which is hopefully not toooo expensive.

what do you guys think is the lower limit for an auto btw price wise?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts