WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post but I have been a lurker here for the last three months. This forum and other websites has been extremely informative on purchase of my first real watch: JLC MUT Moon 39. I love the watch and all but I kind of look ridiculous wearing it casually. I split my time between office and field work and chronograph function will be heavily used for work. Budget is around $10,000USD. I already considered JLC's own chronograph but I don't want to be stuck on one brand. My preferences for it to be stealthy enough but for others to not expect it to be worth $10k and case to be made of titanium (but it doesn't HAVE to be titanium). Being stealthy rules out brands like: Rolex, Omega, and Breitling. Watch should be preferably between 36mm-40mm but I can deal with anything up to 42mm.

Thanks in advance for any guidance any of you can provide.

·
Registered
872 Posts
VC Overseas Chronograph / AP RO Chronograph for roughly ~12k. If those don't strike your fancy then perhaps an IWC Portuguese Chronograph (41mm) which retail for roughly 7k.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
VC Overseas Chronograph / AP RO Chronograph for roughly ~12k.
I assume you are talking used since that is the price for the three hander OS and RO, the chronos new are in the $17k range.

The IWC Portofino and Portuguese are nice but both on the large end of your spectrum and steel.

I can't recall any titanium chronos at that price range but I am sure they exist.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I assume you are talking used since that is the price for the three hander OS and RO, the chronos new are in the $17k range.

The IWC Portofino and Portuguese are nice but both on the large end of your spectrum and steel.

I can't recall any titanium chronos at that price range but I am sure they exist.
Thank you- I forgot to mention those were preowned prices for the VC/AP.

And yes, the Portuguese Chronograph is 41mm and steel. I'm unsure as to why the OP specifically wanted titanium, but the steel Portuguese Chrono isn't a heavy watch at all, if that helps him make his mind up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm unsure as to why the OP specifically wanted titanium, but the steel Portuguese Chrono isn't a heavy watch at all, if that helps him make his mind up.
Less shinny, more durable, and lighter. IWC Portuguese are right up my alley. Any others contenders?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Less shinny, more durable, and lighter. Any others contenders?
Significantly less than your budget but Sinn makes the 103 (and maybe others) in titanium in several iterations.

Reactions: akasnowmaaan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Significantly less than your budget but Sinn makes the 103 (and maybe others) in titanium in several iterations.
IWC make titanium chronos in their Ingeniuer line but they're biggish.
Thank you. Looks like I'll be busy going to all the AD to look at some watches. One thing that's pulling me to IWC's way is that my JLC AD also carries IWC. I got a fair deal on JLC but the sales guy told me he will give me even better deal on any future watches.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Glashutte original have some beautiful chronos that would really compliment your JLC;

Maybe the new Zenith annual calendar;

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not sure how many titanium chronos are out there but I'll second the Glashütte vote for under the radar watches.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Pretty sure that this would be no issue with most nicer watches in that price range, but make sure that the chrono function is adequately jewelled in order not to cause problems with extensive chrono usage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty sure that this would be no issue with most nicer watches in that price range, but make sure that the chrono function is adequately jewelled in order not to cause problems with extensive chrono usage.
What does this mean?

Thank you all! Even more watches for me to hunt down. It probably will take month or two for me to decide just like it was with my JLC.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What does this mean?

Thank you all! Even more watches for me to hunt down. It probably will take month or two for me to decide just like it was with my JLC.
jewels (synthetic rubies) are used to reduce friction and wear in the watch. Some chronographs have the usual jewels for the part of the movement that is always running, but have no jewels on the actual chronograph part of the movement - that's fine if the chrono is used sparingly (most people don't use it at all) but if you plan to use it daily and for a long time, I would look out for this detail.

The valjoux 7750 is used in many mid-range chronos (some maybe even up in your price range) and as far as I remember, one pivot is not jewelled and turns in a hole, so the pinion can wear the hole out. I can tell you one thing - if you know this detail, whether you can expect it to last anyway, spoils every single time you leave that chrono running for a while ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jewels (synthetic rubies) are used to reduce friction and wear in the watch. Some chronographs have the usual jewels for the part of the movement that is always running, but have no jewels on the actual chronograph part of the movement - that's fine if the chrono is used sparingly (most people don't use it at all) but if you plan to use it daily and for a long time, I would look out for this detail.

The valjoux 7750 is used in many mid-range chronos (some maybe even up in your price range) and as far as I remember, one pivot is not jewelled and turns in a hole, so the pinion can wear the hole out. I can tell you one thing - if you know this detail, whether you can expect it to last anyway, spoils every single time you leave that chrono running for a while ;)
Thanks. Is it difficult to replace the pinion if it ever wears out? Let's say I use the chronograph function five times a day everyday for duration of around 10 minutes each time. How long will it take to wear it out and will it be anymore costly than regularly scheduled watch servicing?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I would second the Zenith. If you want to pay up a little more, look at the Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks. Is it difficult to replace the pinion if it ever wears out? Let's say I use the chronograph function five times a day everyday for duration of around 10 minutes each time. How long will it take to wear it out and will it be anymore costly than regularly scheduled watch servicing?
I think the hole wears out (goes oval), so I'd say IF it wars out it would be a case of replacing the plate with the hole in it, but that's just my quick guess based on almost no understanding of the mechanics involved - I hope someone here can clarify for you how much wear it takes to cause damage and how big a repair bill would be.

These discussions usually come up when someone asks whether they can leave their chrono running 24/7 because they fancy a moving big second hand (on tachymetre chronos, where the large second hand usually remains at 0 unless running).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts