WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a very avid watch enthusiast but looking for a new Diver Watch. I currently have an Invicta Pro 200m and I really like it. It's my work-horse, but I'm not really satisfied with the luminous dye in the dark. With a decent charge it's good for...10 or so minutes. I'm hoping to find something with a bit more...power. I'm not well versed in diving watches and looking through the forum overwhelms me a bit, so I'm seeking advice

I've been told that tritium is the best, but I know it's not cheap. I'm not very educated on the differences between luminova and super luminova and other dyes. Anyone want to educate me?

But anyway, here's what I'm looking for:

Requirements:

1) rotating bezel
2) mechanical movement
3) date display
4) VERY luminous hands/time indices (better than my current Invicta Pro)
5) screw-down crown (doubt there are many diver's without)
6) water resistant (minimum 200m)
7) sub $200

Preferences:

1) day/date display
2) steel band
3) luminous bezel indices (very rare, but I know they're out there)

Hope i'm not asking too much here, but all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys! -Joe

·
Registered
611 Posts
There's always the SKX007 or 009, both of which will meet most, but not all, of your requirements/preferences. They're well-regarded in these parts and offer quite a bit in the way of classic good looks, durability and reliability within this price range.

EDIT: Search around on here for those models; there's a ton of info available and plenty of lume shots for comparison to your current watch.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
+1^ or get a monster or even a frankenmonster.
All within your price range and the lume will amaze you after the Invicta
C.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Seiko Monster

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast responses! Most of these watches are already on my watch-list on cheapBay.

SKX007: Love the look of it!!

Monster: Been hearing nothing but great things about but it looks...less professional than what I'm going for I suppose you could say.

FrakenMonster: LOVE IT, Lume is incredible!...but 47mm is too big for my baby-wrists :/

Any nice off-brand ones? Let's keep this going! If nothing else, I get to research some awesome divers! (= -Joe

·
Registered
559 Posts
Orient Ray.
Has everything aside from lumed bezel indices.. Versatility and looks to rival the Seiko SKX, a great watch that gets a ton of wrist time as my go to tool watch..

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I'm looking to sell my seiko to buy a momentum, either the deep 6, m50, or possibly a vic master diver. I need quartz!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Maybe a Deep Blue Sun Diver II.....good lume, date.day, SII NH36 hacking, sapphire crystal, screw-down crown, 1000M...
PSDBlack01.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Orient Ray looks nice, how's the Lume??

The Deep Blue Sun Diver II looks great and I found one for $200!

Any others, maybe more military-looking?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! -Joe

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Orient Ray looks nice, how's the Lume??

The Deep Blue Sun Diver II looks great and I found one for $200!

Any others, maybe more military-looking?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!! -Joe
The Ray has great lume and is visible all night long. Here is a picture borrowed from corn cob kid of a Ray and Monster side by side lume shot.
Ray vs Monster lume shot.jpg

Just being compared to the Monster's lume is a complement but the Ray holds its own.|>

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANK YOU HOOLIGAN!! That was a perfect picture haha

So right now, the front-runners are:

1) Seiko Monster Compass: I just love the added compass. Great Lume!

2) Orient Ray: Looks classy, something that James Bond would wear (since I obviously can't afford a Seamaster)

3) Seiko SKX007: The quintessential dive watch...looks manly

Am I forgetting anything before I start crunching the numbers and weighing my options?

I LOOOOVE this guy...but it's like $500 :/
Helson-shark-diver-lume2.jpg

thanks again for all the input. -Joe

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The Artego 300M I once owned had an incredible lume. You should be able to pick one up in the sales forum for about $200 now.

Bob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I've settled on a Blue Orient Ray. Now I need to wait for another one to pop up for $90. Thanks for all the help guys! -Joe

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
You won't find a fully lumed bezel mechanical[or quartz] diver for $200 or less. The one that meets all your criteria will run about $500-600. Armida A2. A DM500 Black Ice quartz will run about $500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You won't find a fully lumed bezel mechanical[or quartz] diver for $200 or less. The one that meets all your criteria will run about $500-600. Armida A2. A DM500 Black Ice quartz will run about $500.
I guess the $130 Seiko OM on my wrist that I have actually dove with my rebreather is a figment of my imagination.

Unless of course you mean it must have lumed bezel marks (not just the pip)?
that looks cool until it rubs off which happens fast unless you seal the lume behind a clear coat.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
you could stretch a bit and get a used DM500 Titanium with the 0-20 lumed bezel.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I guess the $130 Seiko OM on my wrist that I have actually dove with my rebreather is a figment of my imagination.

Unless of course you mean it must have lumed bezel marks (not just the pip)?
that looks cool until it rubs off which happens fast unless you seal the lume behind a clear coat.
Um, The OP specifically asked for:

3) luminous bezel indices (very rare, but I know they're out there)
NOT just a lumed 12:00 marker.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I think I've settled on a Blue Orient Ray. Now I need to wait for another one to pop up for $90. Thanks for all the help guys! -Joe
That is a great choice|> but you may be waiting quite a while I haven't seen a Blue Ray with bracelet for $90 in the last year (or ever personally).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts