WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done the searches and apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but I am looking for specific feedback. Considering a Khaki Field 38, but I have 8.25 wrists. Things to consider before responding:
  • I'm 6'5", 230 lbs, large hands and flat wrists.
  • Primary use would be business casual/dress. I understand its not a dress watch, but I work in an industry that is not all that stuffy or conservative. Basically want something to bridge the gap between my divers and my rectangular dress watch which is only used at weddings, black tie, etc.
  • That said, I have owned two Orient Bambinos (White Small Seconds, Blue Bauhaus), and found them too large after the honeymoon period. For the uninitiated, they are 40.5mm and all face with a 36.5mm crystal, moderate lug to lug (maybe 46mm?).
  • I am also willing to sacrifice a bit of formality for more versatility. For example, I almost never had a desire to wear the Bambinos outside of work.
  • Plan is to leave it on the bracelet all of the time, I don't like swapping straps during frequent business travel

Looking on the CT website, the Khaki 38 crystal is 32mm across, the same as my 44mm Turtle and only 1mm less than my 44mm Orient Kano. The Bambino crystal is 36.5. I know there is more to the equation, but based on the relatively large crystal, face, and longish lugs I'm thinking I can pull if off for its intended use. That said, I have a mental hangup about purchasing a 38mm watch and could use some encouragement one way or another. If there are other big guys out there pulling off a Khaki 38, I'd love to hear about it. Also considering the King Khaki 40, but I have not seen one in the flesh and think I just prefer the aesthetics of the standard Khaki Field more.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think the watch is going to look tiny. I’m 6 foot 200 lbs and think my 38mm looks too small some days. If a smaller watch is what you like then by all means go for it. It really doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. If you’ve had 42mm watches in the past and thought they were too big then you’ll probably think the 42mm Khaki is too big too because of the lugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Khaki field has a 46mm lug to lug. Might not have a lot of wrist presence for your size. Maybe look at the field mechanical? It's a flatter watch, 38mm with 47mm lug to lug. That would have a similar look, although much more vintage, but maybe fit your wrist better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As others have said, a 38-mm watch is going to look too small. Have you considered the 50-mm Hamilton field watch? It is a pretty significant step up in size but it may be a better fit than such a demure watch.

(I also have 8.25-in wrists and am a larger guy. I wear the large Hamilton field watch almost daily, and I don’t think it looks like a dinner plate.)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the 40mm Khaki King. The seller has a great return policy so I figured why not. I'll post pics later in the week and share my verdict in terms of size/fit for my particular needs. Thanks all

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think that you should be asking the members to post pics of the 38 mm on wrist sizes that are comparable to your wrist size. Even then it is somewhat difficult to gauge because everybody's wrist is a different shape, some are flatter than others and some hold more of a circular shape. That is why pics are helpful to not decide for you but to help you make a better decision. I hope this was somewhat helpful to you. Stromboli. FYI, I know that you like the 38 mm Khaki Field but the Khaki King is just a tad bigger than the 40 mm Khaki Field if interested in the KK, also the 38 mm Khaki Field Mechanical has a longer lug distance which might look bigger as well. Good luck I think we have all been there one time or another.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
After much deliberation, I have decided its a keeper. Going to size the bracelet and enjoy. Thanks everyone for the advice...
Good choice. Fits you like a glove. That case looks like it was poured onto your wrists. Nice.

Reactions: Half Dozen

·
Premium Member
9,632 Posts
After much deliberation, I have decided its a keeper. Going to size the bracelet and enjoy. Thanks everyone for the advice...
Congrats. The 40mm Khaki King looks excellent on your wrist. One question. Did you have to remove any links or was the bracelet a perfect fit for your wrist? Enjoy your Kahki King.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats. The 40mm Khaki King looks excellent on your wrist. One question. Did you have to remove any links or was the bracelet a perfect fit for your wrist? Enjoy your Kahki King.
It was a touch loose as delivered. I removed one link from the 6 o'clock side and moved the clasp to the outermost micro-adjustment position and the tension feels right.

I usually wear divers, so this thing just disappears on my wrist. The longer I wear it the more I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts